Uber has launched a brand-new travel service, and it means pet owners can now bring their four-legged friends along for the ride.
Having already proved to be an extremely-popular service in the US, the leading app-powered minicab company has now launched Uber Pet here in the UK this week, and it lets you book dedicated pet-friendly rides in advance for an additional surcharge of £2 across Manchester.
Previously, it was at the discretion of drivers whether they allowed passengers to travel with an animal in an Uber, but now that’s all changed.
Now, when you order an Uber Pet journey, customers will be matched with drivers who are eligible and willing to transport people with their pets.
Uber Pet has launched in Manchester, London, Leeds, Bristol, and Bath, and is limited to one pet per trip, but if you have more pets with you, then you’ll just need to notify the driver first and it’s then up to the them to decide if they want to take them on the trip.
Introducing Uber Pet 🐕🐈⬛ As of today, you can now ride with your furry friend anywhere in London, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Bristol and Bath, for a small fee, by tapping Uber Pet when choosing your ride. https://t.co/A4XgA5S1XJpic.twitter.com/mGEA2clFON
The company says that Uber Pet is “suitable for dogs and cats”, and that if you’re travelling with a less-common pet, then your driver will have the right of refusal, so you’ll just need to inform them before ordering the trip.
ADVERTISEMENT
Passengers travelling with a service animal can continue to use the regular Uber option.
A maximum of three riders may ride with Uber Pet, and once again, additional riders will be left to the discretion of the driver.
Customers are fully responsible for controlling furry friends while on the trip.
ADVERTISEMENT
When you order an Uber Pet journey, customers will be matched with drivers who are eligible / Credit: Flickr
Speaking on the launch of the new pet-friendly ride service, Andrew Brem – General Manager at Uber UK – said: “We’re really happy to be launching Uber Pet in the UK, bringing even more convenient travel options to our riders [as] with COVID-19 restrictions lifted, it’s the perfect time for new pets to get out and about again with you, no matter what your plans.”
If all of that wasn’t brilliant enough as it is, Uber has also said that it’ll donate £1 from every Uber Pet fare across the UK to the charity All Dogs Matter.
The charity works to “transform the lives of unwanted and abandoned dogs”.
Manchester United and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE
Danny Jones
Man United Women and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE after collecting the award this week.
The Greater Mancunian has grown to become one of the most influential female players of the modern era, and now her impact has been immortalised by the monarchy.
Being recognised for services to the discipline on Tuesday, 19 May, the local athlete finally collected her accolade at Windsor Castle.
Presented to her by Prince William, the Tyldesley-born attacker said in a statement: “It’s been amazing. It’s a bit of a pinch-me moment to be here and be honoured with an MBE.
“I never thought when I started out playing football I’d now be called Ella Toone MBE, so it’s a bit crazy.”
Having suffered a tough time out with injury, the 26-year-old also insists she is now back feeling “better and stronger than ever.”
With Sarina Wiegman’s official squad selection for the qualifiers ahead of FIFA’s 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil, she’s also looking forward to reuniting with her England teammates.
Here she is talking to Sky ahead of the games, not long after receiving the award:
"I've missed it so much, can't wait to be back with the girls" 🏴
Ella Toone is looking forward to meeting up with her England teammates next month for World Cup qualifiers against Spain and Ukraine. pic.twitter.com/K02nJbSkE0
Speaking back in December, she confessed that it’s all been “a bit mad” for her ever since she learned of the news, but her worthiness speaks for itself.
Winning not only back-to-back Euros titles with the national side, along with the first-ever UEFA Women’s Finalissima trophy in 2023, but also inspiring young kids dreaming of becoming footballers across the country and beyond.
Congratulations once again, ‘Tooney’ – beyond well-deserved.
Across the city, it’s great to see yet more groundbreaking investment in the women’s game being made for generations to come.
Poignant plans to mark ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack announced
Emily Sergeant
Manchester City Council has announced its plans to mark the ninth anniversary of the Manchester Arena attack.
This Friday 22 May 2026, it will be exactly eight years since a terror attack saw 22 people tragically lose their lives, and left thousands more injured and affected, during a bombing at the end of an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena back in 2017.
Every year, the city of Manchester comes together and joins the rest of the world in marking the day and remembering those who went to a concert and never returned home.
As has been the case for the past few years since it opened to the public, the focal point for this year’s personal remembrance and reflection will be the permanent Glade of Light memorial, near Manchester Cathedral.
The new Lord Mayor of Manchester, Cllr Shaukat Ali,, Manchester City Council Leader, Cllr Bev Craig, and Council Chief Executive, Tom Stannard, will each lay floral tributes at the memorial on behalf of the people of the city in memory of those who lost their lives.
The names of those who sadly died will also be read out on 22 May during services at Manchester Cathedral – firstly at 9am (Morning Prayers), then at 1:10pm (Holy Communion), and finally at 5:30pm (Choral Evensong).
The Cathedral will also be open throughout the day for those who wish to light a candle or pray.
Poignant plans to mark the ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack have been announced / Credit: The Manc Group | David Dixon (via Geograph)
Two one-minute silences will take place at Manchester Victoria station during the day too – one at 12 noon, and then one at and 10:31pm, which is the exact anniversary of the attack.
“Manchester will never forget those who lost their lives in the 22 May 2017 terror attack, nor the many others who were injured or otherwise affected,” Cllr Bev Craig said ahead of the plans to formally mark the anniversary this Friday.
“Time passes but we will not allow their memories to fade.
“On the ninth anniversary of that terrible day, we also remember the remarkable solidarity shown by the city in refusing to give in to hatred, and the resilience and courage shown by the loved ones of those who were killed and by survivors.”