Blackpool Tower was among the famous landmarks across the country that lit up blue in tribute to Captain Sir Tom Moore last night.
Other notable landmarks choosing to pay their respects by beaming a coloured lights far and wide included the London Eye and Wembley Stadium, along with a tribute broadcast on billboards at Piccadilly Circus, and a number of local tributes observed by town halls and central buildings throughout the UK.
Union flags were also seen to have been flown at half mast at several locations across the country, including No.10 Downing Street.
The touching tributes came after it was announced that Captain Tom sadly passed away yesterday.
It had been confirmed last Sunday that Captain Tom was receiving treatment for pneumonia after testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19), and had been admitted to Bedford Hospital for “help with his breathing”, where he later died two days after admission.
In a statement released yesterday, his daughters Hannah Ingram-Moore and Lucy Teixeira, said: “We are so grateful that we were with him during the last hours of his life – Hannah, Benjie and Georgia by his bedside and Lucy on FaceTime.
ADVERTISEMENT
“We spent hours chatting to him, reminiscing about our childhood and our wonderful mother [and] we shared laughter and tears together.”
They added: “Whilst he’d been in so many hearts for just a short time, he was an incredible father and grandfather, and he will stay alive in our hearts forever.”
The World War II veteran truly captured the hearts of the nation in April 2020 after he raised over £32 million for NHS Charities Together by walking 100 laps his garden before becoming a centenarian, which he completed with a guard of honour.
ADVERTISEMENT
After first receiving a title of honorary colonel, Sir Tom was then knighted by the Queen during a unique open-air ceremony at Windsor Castle in July last year.
His official title then became Captain Sir Thomas Moore under Ministry of Defence protocol.
The impact his achievements left on the UK were also demonstrated through a documentary on his life being commissioned by ITV, the release of a book, a number one single with Michael Ball, and even the honour of a Pride of Britain Award for his fundraising efforts.
His family said the last year of his life was “nothing short of remarkable”, and that he had “experienced things he’d only ever dreamed of”.
Captain Sir Tom Moore, you were a beacon of light in a time of darkness.
Several notable charities and organisations have vowed that his legacy will live on “for years and years”.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ellie Orton – Chief Executive of NHS Charities Together – said Captain Tom “lifted the spirits of an entire nation” and demonstrated that “you’re never too old, you’re never too anything to care for people and to make a difference”.
The Captain Tom Foundation – which was set up to support causes close to Sir Tom’s heart – said its work would “aspire to ensure Tom’s message of hope becomes an enduring legacy”.
“Whilst we mourn his loss, we celebrate his life and will be forever grateful for his optimistic philosophy and wonderful spirit,” a statement said.
“Thank you Captain Sir Tom.
“Because of you tomorrow will be a good day for so many more.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Captain Tom Moore
His death prompted heartfelt messages and tributes to pour in from right around the world.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson described the veteran as “not just a national inspiration, but a beacon of hope for the world”.
Buckingham Palace said the Queen would be sending a private message of condolence to Sir Tom’s family, adding: “Her thoughts, and those of the royal family, are with them, recognising the inspiration he provided for the whole nation and others across the world.”
The White House also joined the tributes by saying the US joined the UK “in honouring the memory of Captain Sir Tom Moore, who inspired millions through his life and his actions”.
Here in Greater Manchester, tributes to Captain Tom were payed on social media yesterday by numerous notable local figures and leaders, local councils, charities and organisations, sports teams, and civilians alike.
His memory will live on.
News
Beloved plant-based independent street food business Herbivorous is set to close imminently
Danny Jones
We hate writing this, but we have news of yet another local hospitality closure as beloved Manchester-born and pioneering plant-based brand Herbivorous has confirmed they’ll soon be calling it a day.
If you can hear us sighing through the screen, apologies – we’re just getting really fed up of saying farewell to our favourites, so god knows how rubbish those involved feel.
As you can see, the team behind the multi-location vegan street food specialists began by writing: “It’s a long one so stay with me… It seems you can’t open social media at the moment without reading about another hospitality business closing down.
“Throughout 8 years of Herbivorous years we’ve come up against many challenges from Covid 5 years ago to watching all the big vegan brands from London and beyond come to Manchester and largely disappear again to the closure of Hatch our busiest site, but with continually increasing costs its becoming really difficult to maintain a thriving business.”
Herbivorous started out life back in 2016 as a cult hit at the old outdoor food, drink and entertainment hub centring around a ‘container village’, the first of its kind in the city and soon to reopen under new owners and a new name.
Since then, co-founders Robyn and Damian have gone on to expand not just to one permanent site over in Withington but with outposts in Sheffield and York, having gained a strong reputation with stalls and pop-ups all over.
Their hospitality story might not have the ending we personally would hope for, but it’s been a brilliant one for so many foodie fans – us lot included.
Nevertheless, they go on to add in the emotional statement that external pressures such as a recent bereavement and their own ever-growing family have also contributed to the decision which, despite being an understandably hard one, “feel like the right time.”
“We are so incredibly proud of how far we’ve come from spending long days slinging duck wraps from our green vintage horse box at festivals to three Herbi locations across the North of England”, they continue, “and with that we’ve also met so many fantastic people!”
“Whether you worked for us at a few festivals over [the] summer or for years at our restaurant, we just wanted to say and massive thank you! The memories will stay with us forever and, of course, how can we not mention our fabulous customers!
“Thank you all so much for choosing Herbivorous over the years. Those of you who had our food at Festivals and then found us at one of our permanent locations, those of you who came back week after week to Hatch, Spark, Withington and beyond.”
They signed off by detailing their final business days, with their Sheffield Kommune spot having already shut for refurbishment; meanwhile, their spot in SPARK York will be wrapping up on Saturday, 19 April.
As for their flagship brick-and-mortar venue here in Greater Manchester, Herbivorous Withington will be shutting on Friday, 25 April.
Once again, there’s nothing we can say other than thank you for years of delicious food, that we’re guttted to see you go, and that everyone at The Manc Group wishes you the best whatever comes next.
AJ Tracey is playing a VERY intimate gig in Manchester next month
Thomas Melia
London rapper and respected grime artist AJ Tracey is ‘live and direct’ once again, announcing a whole host of UK dates, one of which is a rather intimate gig right here in Manchester.
It’s official: one of UK rap’s leading gents is getting back on the road and he’s showing a ‘Little More Love’ to lots of cities, including Manchester.
In a post on the UK star’s socials, AJ Tracey trades his music persona for that of a sports pundit as he announces the dates for his upcoming tour while impersonating an F1 commentator.
Anyone looking to attend Tracey’s ‘Not Even A Tour’ can catch the star up and down the country on his over 20-date tour with a stop in Manchester as soon as this month.
The rapper has reached phenomenal heights since dropping the unforgettable ‘Ladbroke Grove’ in 2019 and is heading out across the nation to make sure everyone knows about it.
Get ready to spit bars left and right as this rapper’s discography is stacked with serious tunes like ‘Dinner Guest’, ‘West Ten’, ‘Thiago Silva’ and more.
More recently, he collaborated with Walsall’s finest Jorja Smith for a flirty garage beat also known as ‘Crush’ with the video being the two artists talking it out in a good old fashioned caff.
The latest collaboration with Smith marks the start of a new era for Mr. Live and direct as it fell in line with the announcement of his third studio album.
Titled Don’t Die Before You’re Dead, we’re sure he’ll be “building a vibe” wherever he goes and probably previewing a few exclusive tracks from his upcoming project too.
This gig may come as quite a surprise for any hardcore fans of the ‘Ladbroke Grove’ star as the venue in which he’s performing is definitely intimate only, holding just over 250 guests.
This rap giant is bringing his unbelievable beats to none other than the legendary small-cap city centre live music venue, The Deaf Institute, at the end of this month.
It’s safe to say you won’t get many more chances, if any, to see him in such a tight-knit space again.
AJ Tracey is bringing ‘Not Even A Tour’ to Deaf Institute in Manchester on 30 April, with tickets on sale Friday 4 April from 12 noon.