The University of Manchester has publicly apologised for a statement issued yesterday about the death of a student applicant.
The Russell Group university said it was ‘really sorry’ to have ’caused further upset’ when it addressed reports that a prospective Masters student had ‘died by suicide’.
A tweet posted earlier this week, which has been shared tens of thousands of times, claimed that the university ‘took an applicants £1k, rejected their application because they can’t make living costs, and didn’t give the money back’.
The tweet, from the account @HarbourSeal, then said: “This applicant, a friend, then dies by suicide because of his absolute hopelessness of his situation. It’s absolutely scandalous.”
It has now been confirmed that Rory Wood, 27, has died, with his family stating that ‘his battle with his brain sadly overcame him’.
He had been missing since Sunday evening.
The University of Manchester yesterday issued a public statement addressing the reports of Rory’s death and the circumstances that led to it.
They wrote: “We are very aware of the upsetting reports online about a student applicant and are looking into what has been said as a matter of urgency. Out of respect we are not commenting further as yet but, if confirmed, we extend our utmost sympathy.
“We can confirm that a place was successfully secured for a Master’s at the University. According to our records this application is still open and wasn’t withdrawn by the applicant and has not been rejected by the University.
“From our initial enquiries, we can find no record or email correspondence suggesting any request for a refund or further request for help.”
Today’s statement shared by the University of Manchester said: “The police have now confirmed that Rory has tragically passed away. This is deeply distressing and we are extending our heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.
“We are really sorry that our statement yesterday caused further upset, which was certainly not our intention. It was to try and help address intense interest while we were actively seeking further details.
“We will of course do everything we can to understand what has happened in this tragic case, including any lessons we can learn. We will continue to offer our support to Rory’s friends and family.”
A message shared from Rory’s family stated: “Thank you for all of your love for our beautiful son, brother, nephew and cousin, Rory. We are completely humbled and overwhelmed by the messages of support on Twitter.
“We realise that there are people on here that truly loved him and the fact that he made your days just a little bit brighter brings a smile to our faces in these tragic times.
“Rory may not have mentioned it on here but he has always had loving and supportive friends and family that tried everything to help him but his battle with his brain sadly overcame him.
“We ask that Rory’s legacy is the increased awareness of mental illness -please all look after yourselves and always remember to speak out. Rory completing his bachelors degree in politics, philosophy and economics last week was one of the proudest moments of our lives. We will never stop loving you Rory x”
Featured image: Wikimedia Commons
Pop Idol star Darius Campbell Danesh has been found dead, age 41
Former Pop Idol contestant and theatre star Darius Campbell Danesh has been found dead at the age of 41, his family has announced.
“Darius was found unresponsive in bed in his apartment room in Rochester, Minnesota, on August 11 and was pronounced dead in the afternoon by the local medical examiners’ office.
“The local police department have confirmed that there were no signs of intent or suspicious circumstances. The cause of his sudden death is unknown at this stage while medical examinations continue.
“We ask that you kindly respect our wishes for privacy at this time whilst we come to terms with the tragic loss of our son and brother.”
Featured image: ITV
A Japanese fine dining restaurant is opening in the former Randall & Aubin site
A new Japanese fine dining restaurant will open on Bridge Street in Manchester this October, bringing a theatrical ‘multi-sensory’ dining experience to the city.
Giving diners the chance to dine from specially created 7 and 11-course tasting menus or opt for a traditional ‘chef’s choice’ experience at its six-seat Omakase counter, bosses say it will offer a contemporary interpretation of Japanese dishes currently not seen outside of London.
Called MUSU, which translates as ‘infinite possibilities,’ the restaurant is the brainchild of Chef Patron Michael Shaw, who has worked at top eateries including Le Manoir aux Quat’ Saisons and Richard Neat’s eponymous restaurant in Canne.
Shaw has spent the last 18 months honing his passion for Japanese cuisine in preparation to open MUSU and will bring on Head Sushi Chef Andre Aguiar, who has trained under renowned Japanese sushi master YugoKato, to head up the kitchen.
When MUSU it opens its doors on Bridge Street on 6 October, diners will be treated to a new tasting menu concept that promises to deliver a ‘multi-sensory dining experience.’
Its menu is divided into three sections – Sentaku, Kaiseki and Omakase – giving diners the choice between ordering dishes a la carte style, opting for a set seven or eleven-course tasting menu, or entrusting the chef to create their ‘perfect menu.’
As for the new high-end Japanese restaurant’s design, MUSU’s multi-million-pound interiors will boast bespoke Italian furniture, subtle mood lighting and bespoke Geisha-inspired walls, with a bar made from Dekton stone, banana leaf patterned brass and onyx.