The Manc - 'Worst ever' cockroach infestation sees takeaway owner handed suspended prison sentence"

‘Worst ever’ cockroach infestation sees takeaway owner handed suspended prison sentence

Manchester City Council

A takeaway owner has been handed a suspended prison sentence after an investigation into his premises uncovered a massive cockroach infestation. 

According to Manchester City Council, the male owner of Love Krispy Takeaway in Baguley, Wythenshawe pleaded guilty to seven offences under The Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013.

He received two months imprisonment, suspended for 12 months and was also ordered to pay full costs of £3,126 – with one environmental health officer describing the case as one of worst they have ever dealt with in their 30 year career.

Royal Oak Rd, Wythenshawe

City Council officers first visited Love Krispy Takeaway on August 1st, 2018 following an anonymous complaint.  The inspection revealed some pretty nasty stuff.

The premises, which was fully operational, was in the midst of "an extensive cockroach infestation" and there was also evidence of serious cross contamination – including an open bucket of raw chicken and an open container of mayonnaise sat in a puddle of raw chicken juices.

Meanwhile, live cockroaches were found crawling across the serving counter, on the floor around delivery bags and on cooking equipment such as the pizza oven – and dead cockroaches were scattered across the premises.

The environmental health officer involved advised the court that it was one of the worst infestations she had seen in her 30 years’ experience of inspecting food businesses, reports Manchester City Council.

The business was immediately shut down until it reopened on 3rd September, 2018 after a month of pest control and deep cleaning. Love Krispy was then regularly surveyed to ensure pest treatments, good cleaning standards and food safety practices were being carried out.

Manchester City Council Executive Member for Neighbourhoods, Councillor Rabnawaz Akbar, said: “The City Council takes food safety extremely seriously and will not hesitate to take robust action against food businesses which put the public at risk.

“We hope this case sends out a strong message to other businesses about the importance of maintaining high standards of food safety at all times.

“I would encourage anyone concerned about the hygiene of any food establishment to get in contact with the council so we can ensure standards are adhered to in order to protect public health”

Previous Post
Next Post

Comments