Manc rugby union player and fan favourite George Ford has extended his stay at Sale, putting pen to paper on a new and improved contract in what is a key deal for the Sharks.
The England international and Sale Sharks fly-half is one of the Greater Manchester side’s key senior figures and has remained a popular pick among supporters ever since he arrived.
With that in mind, besides tying down the Curry twins to long-term deals back in April, securing a new contract for their crucial kicker is probably one of the most important bits of business the Eccles-based team have done in some time.
Confirming the fresh terms on Wednesday, 15 October, George Ford has now agreed a new three-year deal to stay at Sale as the Sharks boast three wins in their last four games.
Extending his stay at the club until at least 2029, the announcement has obviously gone down a treat with the fan base; reactions have ranged from simple responses of “Fantastic news!” and fire emojis to nothing more than “phew…”, with many worried that the talented 32-year-old might be moving on.
ADVERTISEMENT
The Oldham-born athlete, who has already earned 102 England caps, became theSharks’ 358th professional player just a few short years ago.
After shining at Leicester Tigers and Bath Rugby, before going on to become a fully-fledged first-team Red Roses star, Ford returned to the North to sign for Sale ahead of the 2022/23 campaign, with the Sharks going on to finish as runners-up against Saracens.
ADVERTISEMENT
Despite struggling with an Achilles injury, he recovered in good time and came back strong to help his teammates on their way to a Gallagher Premiership final in his first season with the Sharks.
Since then, he’s scored some crucial penalty kicks and drop goals, racking up a total of 341 points as he closes in on half a century of appearances.
Speaking on signing the new deal, the local lad said: “It’s brilliant to have the contract agreed. I’ve really enjoyed my time here, and I’ve loved representing the North. The importance of that isn’t lost on me.
ADVERTISEMENT
Credit: Charlie (via Flickr)Kafuffle via WikiCommonsHe’s come a long way since his days with the Tigers and Bath, but his kicks have only gotten better.
“I drive from Saddleworth to Carrington [Lane Training Ground] every day, and I can see the city in the distance, and it makes me incredibly proud”, says Ford. “I’m proud to represent the region and the people up here, and I want to inspire the next generation.
“You see so many kids up here who are passionate about playing rugby, and I want us to be a team that inspires those kids to want to do what we’re lucky enough to do.”
You can also hear what Director of Rugby, Alex Sanderson, had to say on George Ford signing his new three-year deal down below.
As he continues in a full statement shared via the club website, “With the players and the coaches that we have here, I feel like I can still improve and be challenged as a player. I feel the best place for me to do that is right here.
ADVERTISEMENT
“As a team, we want to take the next step, and I’m more determined than ever to help us do that. The ambition from the club is obvious, and I know we’re going to achieve great things in the future, but we’re at our best when we focus on the next game.
“I want to keep playing well for Sale Sharks, and I want to keep influencing the team as much as I can. That comes first. I love playing for my country, but I know that I only get that opportunity if I’m playing consistently well for Sale. So that’s my focus.”
He also reiterated that, besides enjoying his rugby, being back home has also helped support his family, with his wife running multiple restaurants alongside being a full-time mum, adding: “To be around to help and support her in any way I can is so important to me. That’s played a big part in us being so settled and happy here.”
Man City hoping to snap up promising Liverpool youngster with multiple clubs monitoring
Danny Jones
Manchester City are hoping to secure the signature of a rising Liverpool star who is already looking like one to watch, but they’ll have to wrestle with a number of teams if they want to get their man.
For starters, his parent club don’t want to let him go, but they have until this summer to lock him into a new deal, with suitors ready and waiting in the wings.
The promising youth player in question is Josh Abe, who is just 15 years old but has already made a bit of sporting history on Merseyside and even in Europe.
Having already scored a hatful of goals at various levels, several Premier League outfits are now monitoring his contract situation, with Abe still yet to commit his future to Melwood and possible Liverpool first-team opportunities – and it’s not hard to see why so many want him…
The Warrington-born winger has registered eight goals and a trio of assists for the under-18s this season, including a standout performance against Derby, as well as a hat-trick against Leeds United earlier this month.
Cementing himself in the record books as their youngest ever scorer at that level, he also happened to play a key role in their 3-2 win over Oliver Reiss’ side back in October, grabbing a goal and assisting as they beat City in the division for the first time in half a dozen years.
But he’s impressed beyond just LFC ranks, too.
In addition to becoming the youngest Liverpool product to ever feature in the UEFA Youth League, he has also been called up to England’s U16s.
With early nods of recognition across the board, it’s little surprise that he’s now trained with Arne Slot’s senior squad on more than one occasion.
However, scousers are still waiting to see his full professional debut, as it looks like his employers have a fight on their hands to keep the fast-progressing young forward.
As per The Athletic‘s James Pearce, Man City look to be leading their pursuit for Josh Abe not only as a major rival club and the next nearest destination, but because of the increased wages they could theoretically offer him as an aspiring pro and potential future prospect.
On the other hand, if Liverpool do fail to tie him down, his agency, PLG – headed up by Tyler Alexander-Arnold, the brother of Trent – will be free to negotiate from June 1 onwards if he doesn’t extend his stay – it could be a three-horse race to snap him up.
Apart from City, both Chelsea and Arsenal are said to be interested in recruiting him, and with it being reported that teenaged attacker’s father is a lifelong Gunner, they could pose an added threat to the Blues sealing a transfer.
Then again, we’ve seen Chelsea continue to swallow up talent all over the country for their academy time and time again, plus they’ve been pretty lax when it comes to the salary budget for years now. All that being said, the CFG (City Football Group) could face quite a scrap should Abe decide to leave Liverpool.
Naturally, he’s already been the subject of a ‘future wonderkid’ highlights reel on YouTube; you can see some of his best moments so far down below.
Have you seen clips of him before, and/or are you buying into the hype?
Co-op Live confirmed as the host venue for the 2026 Netball Super League Grand Final
Danny Jones
Manchester’s Co-op Live has booked its latest big event as the 2026 Netball Super League (NSL) Grand Final is set to be held at the massive indoor venue.
As one of the biggest indoor entertainment venues not just in the country but all of Europe, there’ll be room for plenty of UK fans to pile into the stands.
This being not only the NSL‘s debut at the arena but the first final to ever be held in the building, it’s set to be a historic night for lots of reasons.
Announcing the huge coup – not just for the increasingly popular female-led competition, but for sports fans around Greater Manchester in general – this week, the reaction to the big date on the women’s sporting calendar has been just as big.
As mentioned in an official press release, “The selection of Co-op Live for the 2026 Soft & Gentle Grand Final builds on the arena’s rapid emergence as a global destination for sport and entertainment, following a programme of major global broadcasts across music and sport.”
The 23,500-capacity and completely indoor stadium has quickly established itself as a leading destination for live music and more since it finally opened back in May 2024.
Last year’s Super League Grand Final was held down in the capital at The O2 Arena as the fast-rising franchise London Pulse beat Loughborough Lightning 53–45 to lift the title for the first time in history.
Now, the NSL is looking to capitalise on those record-breaking crowds by bringing the action closer to another foundational home for so many competitive disciplines: Greater Manchester.
With England Netball themselves being headquarted at the England Netball is headquartered at the National Squash Centre and Regional Arena on the Etihad Campus (next door to the arena), choosing Co-op Live only felt natural this time.
Elsewhere, another big tournament is being held up in the North, too, with the Netball Super Cup set be hosted at the Utilita Arena over in Yorkshire – much to our mates at The Sheff‘s delight.
Treat a netball fan in your life ❤️
🤝 Help them start #NSL2026 in style and get them tickets to see the Netball Super Cup live.
As for Co-op Live itself, general manager Guy Dunstan commented: “We’re incredibly proud to welcome the Soft & Gentle Grand Final to Co-op Live and to make history by hosting the first sporting final at the arena.
“Co-op Live was designed to bring people together for unforgettable shared experiences, and this reflects everything [we] stand for: world-class events, inclusivity, community impact and inspiring the next generation. We can’t wait to see Manchester play host to such a landmark moment for the sport.”
As always, official Co-op members get early access through the venue’s dedicated presale window, which will open at 10am on Monday, 2 March.
Meanwhile, general admission will then be available from the same time the following Thursday (5 Mar); you can get ready to grab your tickets for the Netball Super League Grand Final in Manchester at Co-op Live right HERE.