Harry Maguire: The whirlwind assault case of the Manchester United captain
In the space of seven days since, HMaguire has been arrested, tried, found guilty of assault and bribery and launched an appeal. It's been a whirlwind.
“Last night hurt…” Harry Maguire told the football world on August 17.
Manchester United had been eliminated from the Europa League by Sevilla the previous evening, ending their hopes of lifting any silverware for the 2019/20 season.
“Time to go away, reflect, recover,” Maguire added, promising readers that his team would return stronger than ever.
Less than 96 hours later, the Old Trafford captain was being thrown into cells by Greek police.
On the night of 21 August, Maguire, his brother and a friend became embroiled in a drunken brawl with another group whilst holidaying on the island of Mykonos.
ADVERTISEMENT
In the space of seven days, Maguire has since been arrested, tried, found guilty of assault and bribery, and launched an appeal to maintain his innocence.
It’s been a whirlwind week that’s stunned the football world.
ADVERTISEMENT
Last night hurt… Time to go away, reflect, recover and be ready to come back stronger next season. Your support throughout the season has been amazing, we hope to see a full Old Trafford ASAP. We’re in this together 🔴 #MUFCpic.twitter.com/mR6OXDzFqy
The upshot, so far, has been a 21-month prison sentence for Maguire, suspended for three years, and an ignominious removal from the England squad (which will surely be temporary).
But the case has also tattered the ‘model pro’ reputation Maguire was given by some media outlets.
Footballers misbehaving abroad is nothing new. But for some, the biggest shock of the whole ordeal is the fact that it’s wholesome character Maguire at the centre of it all.
ADVERTISEMENT
There are two very different sides to the story of what happened that night – and the United star maintains he and his family are “victims”.
On Thursday 21 August, plain clothes officers rushed in to halt a brawl which had broken out between two groups at a bar in Mykonos.
The confrontation was taking place between Maguire, his brother and their friend and some “Albanian” men.
Maguire’s group said they had approached two males after spotting them “inject” Maguire’s sister, Daisy, with a “rape drug”.
Daisy’s eyes were said to be “rolling back”, and Maguire bundled her into a minivan so she could return to the villa or a local hospital.
ADVERTISEMENT
An argument then ensued, but with no CCTV footage of the incident, it’s quickly become a classic case of ‘he-said, she-said’.
According to Greek police, Maguire started “pushing and hitting three police officers” when they arrived on the scene.
Maguire was arrested and accused of pushing one officer to the ground as he tried to resist (according to police).
After arriving at the station, a group of men nearby allegedly told Maguire “Your career is over”, before kicking his legs.
Police have offered a different version of events, even stating that Maguire attempted to bribe them by saying: “Please, let me go, I am very rich, I can pay, I am the leader of Manchester United.”
ADVERTISEMENT
In court, Maguire was found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult.
Still, the £80m defender maintains the accusations are wrong, and his legal team have since launched an appeal.
A Manchester United statement said: “Harry has no criminal record and is once again presumed innocent until proven guilty. Accordingly, he is not subject to any international travel restrictions.”
Maguire himself has so far refused to speak to the press about the incident, and has still not posted on Twitter since expressing his pain at United’s European exit.
Little did he know that this period of reflection would go so horribly wrong.
Sport
Manchester Storm have already set a new record before they’ve even returned ‘home’
Danny Jones
Manchester Storm have already broken a record ahead of next season, and they’ve done it before they’ve even made it back to their original stadium.
Just goes to show that the ice hockey following here in Greater Manchester hasn’t gone anywhere.
Following the news that Manchester Storm will be returning to the city centre for the 2026/27 campaign, they’ve had a flood of interest from both new and old fans.
With that in mind, it didn’t take long for the native team to reveal that they have already set a new record for season ticket sales just a few weeks on from the announcement.
Sharing an update on social media, they write: “Manchester Storm supporters have delivered incredible demand for 2026/27 Season Tickets, with the club recording its highest-ever sales within the first week and the strongest total in its modern history.
“Thank you, Manchester, for your amazing support.”
Crediting ticketing partner StubHero for helping deliver “a smooth experience during this period of exceptional demand” for followers of the local outfit, they’re even set to give away the next milestone season ticket away completely FREE as part of the ‘homecoming’ celebrations.
Writing further in an official statement, they went on to add: “The move back to the AO Arena represents far more than just a change of venue or a return home…
“It marks the beginning of an ambitious new chapter for the club, built around bigger crowds, bigger occasions, and an unforgettable gameday experience in one of the UK’s premier entertainment venues.
Speaking in an interview with internal media, CEO and owner Emma Finnerty said that they’re not just aiming to grow their reputation in Britain: “Our vision is to become the biggest club in Europe.
“When you think of Manchester, you think of Manchester United and Manchester City – and then hopefully we’ll come third after them.”
While the former ‘Storm Shelter’ stadium at Planet Ice Altrincham only held a maximum of 2,500 spectators, serving them more than faithfully over the past decade or so, the AO Arena can literally hold almost ten times that amount. Here’s hoping they get close to full week in and week out.
As hockey fandom continues to grow across the UK, it feels like a better time than ever for supporters to get involved with the sport – and, as ever, they’re keen to get people as involved as possible.
Featured Images — The Manc Group/Publicity pictures (via Manchester Storm)
Sport
Manchester United and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE
Danny Jones
Man United Women and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE after collecting the award this week.
The Greater Mancunian has grown to become one of the most influential female players of the modern era, and now her impact has been immortalised by the monarchy.
Being recognised for services to the discipline on Tuesday, 19 May, the local athlete finally collected her accolade at Windsor Castle.
Presented to her by Prince William, the Tyldesley-born attacker said in a statement: “It’s been amazing. It’s a bit of a pinch-me moment to be here and be honoured with an MBE.
“I never thought when I started out playing football I’d now be called Ella Toone MBE, so it’s a bit crazy.”
Having suffered a tough time out with injury, the 26-year-old also insists she is now back feeling “better and stronger than ever.”
With Sarina Wiegman’s official squad selection for the qualifiers ahead of FIFA’s 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil, she’s also looking forward to reuniting with her England teammates.
Here she is talking to Sky ahead of the games, not long after receiving the award:
"I've missed it so much, can't wait to be back with the girls" 🏴
Ella Toone is looking forward to meeting up with her England teammates next month for World Cup qualifiers against Spain and Ukraine. pic.twitter.com/K02nJbSkE0
Speaking back in December, she confessed that it’s all been “a bit mad” for her ever since she learned of the news, but her worthiness speaks for itself.
Winning not only back-to-back Euros titles with the national side, along with the first-ever UEFA Women’s Finalissima trophy in 2023, but also inspiring young kids dreaming of becoming footballers across the country and beyond.
Congratulations once again, ‘Tooney’ – beyond well-deserved.
Across the city, it’s great to see yet more groundbreaking investment in the women’s game being made for generations to come.