Man United once again held their latest ‘Stadium Sleep Out’ this past weekend and managed to raise more than £30,000 to combat homelessness and help vulnerable young people across Greater Manchester.
Truly touching stuff at such a tough time of year.
Held at Old Trafford for the last couple of years, the club’s Sleep Out initiative sees hundreds of Reds, charitable volunteers and just well-meaning Mancs, in general, descend upon the Theatre of Dreams for a magical night under the stars and the floodlights of one of the most famous stadiums in world football.
Taking place last Friday, 15 November, the third-ever stadium sleepout saw more than 120 people – including Man United players and staff, both past and present – pull out their sleeping bags and spend the night up in the stands for this crucial cause.
Raising vital funds for Centrepoint, the UK-based charity that specialises in helping vulnerable young people who are either currently or at risk of sleeping rough, as well as the local homeless community at large, those taking part amassed another £30k through generous donations.
ADVERTISEMENT
Having raised £40k in 2023 and matched the same target amount since for their debut event back in 2021, which was instead held inside the Munich Tunnel, that’s now £100,000 raised for the non-profit – a total figure which could prove to be life-saving for many across the 10 boroughs.
Centrepoint also shared real-life experiences of hardship faced by some young people with the group huddled up inside Man United‘s home ground, as well as inviting those taking part to offer their own messages of support to those struggling, especially during the colder months.
ADVERTISEMENT
The Manchester United Foundation’s CEO, John Shiels, also gave a reading of a poem about the fabled Busby Babes (in whose honour the organisation was created in 2007) as a commitment to the young people across Greater Manchester.
“Once again, I am humbled by the amount of support the Sleep Out has received. It’s been great to see faces old and new supporting our work, and the work of Centrepoint, as we head into the harsh winter months”, said Shiels.
“There are many young people out there currently living in dire conditions and it is our duty as a community to come together and help them. I’m delighted to see that so many people feel the same and have collectively raised a fantastic amount of money that will make a huge difference to the lives of vulnerable young people in our area.”
As you can see, former players turned club ambassadors, David May and Danny Simpson, were both in attendance to sleep over during the night and chat with fans.
Simpson, an ex-United academy graduate who retired earlier this year, said of the evening: “It’s been a pleasure to be here this evening. I feel like homelessness is a problem that is getting worse, and you see it all over the city.
“I’m a local boy, so it means something to me to try and help my community in any way I can. I’ve seen first-hand the positive impact the Foundation has and it’s been great to hear about the work Centrepoint is doing – it’s been a really positive night.”
Other club partners and sponsors such as DXC Technology, DHL, WOW HYDRATE, Cadbury also helped out on the night, either by sending members in sleeping bags to represent their companies or by gifting snacks and supplies for the long night in the cold.
It goes without saying that it warms our hearts to see Mancs pulling together for such an important issue. Better yet, the fundraising page is still open so if you want to help, you can donate HERE. Here’s hoping United smash their previous fundraising feats at the next Stadium Sleepout in 2025.
Man City hoping to snap up promising Liverpool youngster with multiple clubs monitoring
Danny Jones
Manchester City are hoping to secure the signature of a rising Liverpool star who is already looking like one to watch, but they’ll have to wrestle with a number of teams if they want to get their man.
For starters, his parent club don’t want to let him go, but they have until this summer to lock him into a new deal, with suitors ready and waiting in the wings.
The promising youth player in question is Josh Abe, who is just 15 years old but has already made a bit of sporting history on Merseyside and even in Europe.
Having already scored a hatful of goals at various levels, several Premier League outfits are now monitoring his contract situation, with Abe still yet to commit his future to Melwood and possible Liverpool first-team opportunities – and it’s not hard to see why so many want him…
The Warrington-born winger has registered eight goals and a trio of assists for the under-18s this season, including a standout performance against Derby, as well as a hat-trick against Leeds United earlier this month.
Cementing himself in the record books as their youngest ever scorer at that level, he also happened to play a key role in their 3-2 win over Oliver Reiss’ side back in October, grabbing a goal and assisting as they beat City in the division for the first time in half a dozen years.
But he’s impressed beyond just LFC ranks, too.
In addition to becoming the youngest Liverpool product to ever feature in the UEFA Youth League, he has also been called up to England’s U16s.
With early nods of recognition across the board, it’s little surprise that he’s now trained with Arne Slot’s senior squad on more than one occasion.
However, scousers are still waiting to see his full professional debut, as it looks like his employers have a fight on their hands to keep the fast-progressing young forward.
As per The Athletic‘s James Pearce, Man City look to be leading their pursuit for Josh Abe not only as a major rival club and the next nearest destination, but because of the increased wages they could theoretically offer him as an aspiring pro and potential future prospect.
On the other hand, if Liverpool do fail to tie him down, his agency, PLG – headed up by Tyler Alexander-Arnold, the brother of Trent – will be free to negotiate from June 1 onwards if he doesn’t extend his stay – it could be a three-horse race to snap him up.
Apart from City, both Chelsea and Arsenal are said to be interested in recruiting him, and with it being reported that teenaged attacker’s father is a lifelong Gunner, they could pose an added threat to the Blues sealing a transfer.
Then again, we’ve seen Chelsea continue to swallow up talent all over the country for their academy time and time again, plus they’ve been pretty lax when it comes to the salary budget for years now. All that being said, the CFG (City Football Group) could face quite a scrap should Abe decide to leave Liverpool.
Naturally, he’s already been the subject of a ‘future wonderkid’ highlights reel on YouTube; you can see some of his best moments so far down below.
Have you seen clips of him before, and/or are you buying into the hype?
Co-op Live confirmed as the host venue for the 2026 Netball Super League Grand Final
Danny Jones
Manchester’s Co-op Live has booked its latest big event as the 2026 Netball Super League (NSL) Grand Final is set to be held at the massive indoor venue.
As one of the biggest indoor entertainment venues not just in the country but all of Europe, there’ll be room for plenty of UK fans to pile into the stands.
This being not only the NSL‘s debut at the arena but the first final to ever be held in the building, it’s set to be a historic night for lots of reasons.
Announcing the huge coup – not just for the increasingly popular female-led competition, but for sports fans around Greater Manchester in general – this week, the reaction to the big date on the women’s sporting calendar has been just as big.
As mentioned in an official press release, “The selection of Co-op Live for the 2026 Soft & Gentle Grand Final builds on the arena’s rapid emergence as a global destination for sport and entertainment, following a programme of major global broadcasts across music and sport.”
The 23,500-capacity and completely indoor stadium has quickly established itself as a leading destination for live music and more since it finally opened back in May 2024.
Last year’s Super League Grand Final was held down in the capital at The O2 Arena as the fast-rising franchise London Pulse beat Loughborough Lightning 53–45 to lift the title for the first time in history.
Now, the NSL is looking to capitalise on those record-breaking crowds by bringing the action closer to another foundational home for so many competitive disciplines: Greater Manchester.
With England Netball themselves being headquarted at the England Netball is headquartered at the National Squash Centre and Regional Arena on the Etihad Campus (next door to the arena), choosing Co-op Live only felt natural this time.
Elsewhere, another big tournament is being held up in the North, too, with the Netball Super Cup set be hosted at the Utilita Arena over in Yorkshire – much to our mates at The Sheff‘s delight.
Treat a netball fan in your life ❤️
🤝 Help them start #NSL2026 in style and get them tickets to see the Netball Super Cup live.
As for Co-op Live itself, general manager Guy Dunstan commented: “We’re incredibly proud to welcome the Soft & Gentle Grand Final to Co-op Live and to make history by hosting the first sporting final at the arena.
“Co-op Live was designed to bring people together for unforgettable shared experiences, and this reflects everything [we] stand for: world-class events, inclusivity, community impact and inspiring the next generation. We can’t wait to see Manchester play host to such a landmark moment for the sport.”
As always, official Co-op members get early access through the venue’s dedicated presale window, which will open at 10am on Monday, 2 March.
Meanwhile, general admission will then be available from the same time the following Thursday (5 Mar); you can get ready to grab your tickets for the Netball Super League Grand Final in Manchester at Co-op Live right HERE.