Manchester United manager Rúben Amorim has suggested that “everyone” at the club is “too comfortable” and, judging by his press conference, he wasn’t just referring to the players.
Less than two months into his tenure at Old Trafford, the Portuguese head coach has struggled to get much significant training time with his squad amidst the winter fixture congestion but after getting a few more days ahead of the derby against Liverpool on Sunday, he managed to come away with a result.
Man United took the lead against Arne Slot’s table-toppers and defended much better than fans have seen all season for the majority of the 90 minutes, not to mention showing fight to stay in the game and nearly win it if not for Harry Maguire’s shot over the bar at the death.
Speaking to the media after the whistle, Amorim said that he saw his side properly face the opposition “the way we are supposed to”, perhaps for the first time since he took charge, insisting that they demonstrated the mentality he expects from them every week from preparation to full-time.
"I feel we are too comfortable, we need a shock" 💬
Ruben Amorim says his team were a "different team" against Liverpool yesterday 🔴 pic.twitter.com/fIWuBiG876
Reiterating that “mentality is the key, for everything” be it in training or the match itself,
ADVERTISEMENT
Most notably, however, the 39-year-old said: “I feel that everyone we, not just the players but everyone at Manchester United is too comfortable; I think sometimes we need a shock and you can see it today – we were a different team.”
This isn’t the first time Amorim has mentioned that his squad have been in need of a “big shock”, having said as much after the Newcastle United game when he even went so far as to claim that the prospect of a relegation battle is a “possibility”, and that such an eventuality should put fear into them.
ADVERTISEMENT
As for how much of this is pointed at individuals beyond those lacing up their boots or if he’s just trying to communicate unity, good and bad, we’ll leave that up to your interpretation.
In fact, make what you will of the performances of the former Sporting boss up till now, but his seemingly brutal honesty is one thing that has remained consistent throughout his time in the Premier League thus far, as the comments he has made about the club in just a few weeks are rather stark.
Another remark he made after the home defeat to Newcastle was that it is “a bit embarrassing to be Manchester United coach” at present, particularly following the run of results they have been on (besides the Manchester derby win and a point away at Anfield), adding that they were “not improving.”
ADVERTISEMENT
However, cut to a week later and some more tangible contact time with his players and staff on the training pitch and his tune has changed somewhat, applauding not only how they applied themselves against the league leaders, whilst still adding that everyone has the right to and “should be MAD.”
Midfielder Bruno Fernandes also confirmed that the anger and frustration was certainly felt in the dressing room, confessing that he was “pretty upset” not only to not have walked away with all three points after such a defiant display but that they have produced performances like that before.
As good as a point away against their historic rivals, especially given their current supremacy and United’s struggles of late, Amorim’s compatriot and team captain assured that they “can’t be happy” with just a draw asked, “Why can’t we do this every week?”
With the Red Devils’ next four fixtures including a cup tie away against Arsenal, a home game against an impressive Brighton outfit and a Europa League night against Rangers, could this be the start of the tide starting to turn in the red half of Manchester?
More importantly, do you agree with Amorim’s comments – are United guilty of being ‘too comfortable’ for too long?
ADVERTISEMENT
You can listen back to Rúben Amorim’s post-match press conference in full following his first derby against Liverpool down below:
Featured Images — Optus Sports/Beanyman Sports (screenshots via YouTube)
Sport
Man City hoping to snap up promising Liverpool youngster with multiple clubs monitoring
Danny Jones
Manchester City are hoping to secure the signature of a rising Liverpool star who is already looking like one to watch, but they’ll have to wrestle with a number of teams if they want to get their man.
For starters, his parent club don’t want to let him go, but they have until this summer to lock him into a new deal, with suitors ready and waiting in the wings.
The promising youth player in question is Josh Abe, who is just 15 years old but has already made a bit of sporting history on Merseyside and even in Europe.
Having already scored a hatful of goals at various levels, several Premier League outfits are now monitoring his contract situation, with Abe still yet to commit his future to Melwood and possible Liverpool first-team opportunities – and it’s not hard to see why so many want him…
The Warrington-born winger has registered eight goals and a trio of assists for the under-18s this season, including a standout performance against Derby, as well as a hat-trick against Leeds United earlier this month.
Cementing himself in the record books as their youngest ever scorer at that level, he also happened to play a key role in their 3-2 win over Oliver Reiss’ side back in October, grabbing a goal and assisting as they beat City in the division for the first time in half a dozen years.
But he’s impressed beyond just LFC ranks, too.
In addition to becoming the youngest Liverpool product to ever feature in the UEFA Youth League, he has also been called up to England’s U16s.
With early nods of recognition across the board, it’s little surprise that he’s now trained with Arne Slot’s senior squad on more than one occasion.
However, scousers are still waiting to see his full professional debut, as it looks like his employers have a fight on their hands to keep the fast-progressing young forward.
As per The Athletic‘s James Pearce, Man City look to be leading their pursuit for Josh Abe not only as a major rival club and the next nearest destination, but because of the increased wages they could theoretically offer him as an aspiring pro and potential future prospect.
On the other hand, if Liverpool do fail to tie him down, his agency, PLG – headed up by Tyler Alexander-Arnold, the brother of Trent – will be free to negotiate from June 1 onwards if he doesn’t extend his stay – it could be a three-horse race to snap him up.
Apart from City, both Chelsea and Arsenal are said to be interested in recruiting him, and with it being reported that teenaged attacker’s father is a lifelong Gunner, they could pose an added threat to the Blues sealing a transfer.
Then again, we’ve seen Chelsea continue to swallow up talent all over the country for their academy time and time again, plus they’ve been pretty lax when it comes to the salary budget for years now. All that being said, the CFG (City Football Group) could face quite a scrap should Abe decide to leave Liverpool.
Naturally, he’s already been the subject of a ‘future wonderkid’ highlights reel on YouTube; you can see some of his best moments so far down below.
Have you seen clips of him before, and/or are you buying into the hype?
Co-op Live confirmed as the host venue for the 2026 Netball Super League Grand Final
Danny Jones
Manchester’s Co-op Live has booked its latest big event as the 2026 Netball Super League (NSL) Grand Final is set to be held at the massive indoor venue.
As one of the biggest indoor entertainment venues not just in the country but all of Europe, there’ll be room for plenty of UK fans to pile into the stands.
This being not only the NSL‘s debut at the arena but the first final to ever be held in the building, it’s set to be a historic night for lots of reasons.
Announcing the huge coup – not just for the increasingly popular female-led competition, but for sports fans around Greater Manchester in general – this week, the reaction to the big date on the women’s sporting calendar has been just as big.
As mentioned in an official press release, “The selection of Co-op Live for the 2026 Soft & Gentle Grand Final builds on the arena’s rapid emergence as a global destination for sport and entertainment, following a programme of major global broadcasts across music and sport.”
The 23,500-capacity and completely indoor stadium has quickly established itself as a leading destination for live music and more since it finally opened back in May 2024.
Last year’s Super League Grand Final was held down in the capital at The O2 Arena as the fast-rising franchise London Pulse beat Loughborough Lightning 53–45 to lift the title for the first time in history.
Now, the NSL is looking to capitalise on those record-breaking crowds by bringing the action closer to another foundational home for so many competitive disciplines: Greater Manchester.
With England Netball themselves being headquarted at the England Netball is headquartered at the National Squash Centre and Regional Arena on the Etihad Campus (next door to the arena), choosing Co-op Live only felt natural this time.
Elsewhere, another big tournament is being held up in the North, too, with the Netball Super Cup set be hosted at the Utilita Arena over in Yorkshire – much to our mates at The Sheff‘s delight.
Treat a netball fan in your life ❤️
🤝 Help them start #NSL2026 in style and get them tickets to see the Netball Super Cup live.
As for Co-op Live itself, general manager Guy Dunstan commented: “We’re incredibly proud to welcome the Soft & Gentle Grand Final to Co-op Live and to make history by hosting the first sporting final at the arena.
“Co-op Live was designed to bring people together for unforgettable shared experiences, and this reflects everything [we] stand for: world-class events, inclusivity, community impact and inspiring the next generation. We can’t wait to see Manchester play host to such a landmark moment for the sport.”
As always, official Co-op members get early access through the venue’s dedicated presale window, which will open at 10am on Monday, 2 March.
Meanwhile, general admission will then be available from the same time the following Thursday (5 Mar); you can get ready to grab your tickets for the Netball Super League Grand Final in Manchester at Co-op Live right HERE.