Ken Bruce has left his listeners “bawling” today as he bid an emotional final farewell to BBC Radio 2 after 31 years.
The Scottish radio broadcasting veteran announced back in January that he would be stepping down from his late-morning slot on BBC Radio 2 after hosting the primetime show for over three decades from 1986 to 1990, and then again from 1992 to 2023.
The 72-year-old said he would “always be proud” of his association with the BBC and Radio 2.
But Bruce explained that he wanted to continue his career “in a slightly different way in the next few years”, and confirmed that, to do this, he’ll be moving to Greatest Hits Radio in April to present a brand new mid-morning show.
It was announced last month that Bolton-born presenter and TV personality Vernon Kay would be taking over from Bruce after the revered host’s departure on Friday 3 March.
Taking to the airwaves for the final time, Bruce’s final show saw send-offs from long-time listeners and fellow broadcasters.
ADVERTISEMENT
He also repaid the kindness showed to him throughout his career, by going on to thank his listeners, the production team at Radio 2, and the BBC – the latter of which he claimed on Twitter last month “decided wants me to leave [Radio 2] earlier” than planned, after he had “intended fulfilling my contract until the end of March”.
“Thanks to all who’ve sent any kind of message of congratulations or good riddance,” Bruce told his listeners in his final message.
After what had been an emotional couple of hours, Bruce then directly addressed his former employer, stating: “And to the BBC, I’ve been here for a long time and, apart from the occasional vaguery, it is still the finest broadcasting organisation in the world.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Bruce then had the tough task of picking the songs to signing-off his last ever show.
He chose a medley of ‘Golden Slumbers’, ‘Carry That Weight’, and ‘The End’ that all end the legendary Abbey Road album by The Beatles, just as his BBC career came to an end.
What a class act Ken Bruce! Perfect last show – self deprecating, total professional and top fella ❤️
As his final show drew to a close, social media was flooded with messages of support for Bruce and memories of his career from both listeners and famous faces.
One fan shared said on Twitter: “Having a bit of a cry at Ken Bruce playing The Beatles’ Golden Slumbers, Carry that Weight, The End, at the end of his last programme for BBC 2. Pass the tissues please.”
Another added: “I didn’t expect to have a little midday cry over this, but here I am. Thank you, Ken Bruce.”
ADVERTISEMENT
A third simply said on Twitter that they were “bawling” at Bruce’s sign-off.
Vernon Kay will take over from Ken Bruce in May, with DJ Gary Davies will fill the gap between Bruce’s departure and Kay’s first show, the BBC has confirmed.
We're delighted to announce that Vernon Kay will be taking over the mid-morning show on Radio 2 later this year! 🧡 pic.twitter.com/IVm3xYbOpw
Kay is well-known for fronting various shows on Channel 4’s T4 throughout his career, as well as several ITV shows including All Star Family Fortunes, Just The Two Of Us, Beat The Star, and Splash!, for competing in reality competition show I’m A Celebrity… back in 2020, and has lots of experience on the airwaves too.
The 48-year-old presented his own BBC Radio 1 show between 2004 and 2012, and then went on to host a show on Radio X between 2015 and 2017.
Featured Image – BBC
Trending
Manchester Airport releases list of its 10 fastest-growing holiday hotspots – including ‘Maldives of Europe’
Emily Sergeant
Holiday season is well underway, and now Manchester Airport has released a list of its 10 fastest-growing beach destinations.
Want to visit somewhere new? Destinations in Portugal, Greece, and Croatia are among the 10 fastest-growing summer holiday hotspots on Manchester Airport’s route network.
Following the completion of the £1.3bn Terminal 2 transformation, and a major project to redevelop Terminal 3 also now in the works, the airport is expecting a record summer season this year, which is why, with a couple of weeks left, a list of the top 10 fastest-growing destinations has been revealed, so if you’re short of some travel inspiration, this is it.
Sunseekers’ favourites are all expected to see extra visitors from Manchester this summer, but other lesser-known destinations are seeing an even greater surge in popularity – with the number of people travelling there this summer versus last summer set to double (or even triple) in some cases.
Manchester Airport has released a list of its 10 fastest-growing holiday destinations / Credit: Marie Volkert | Northleg Official (via Unsplash)
These destinations are spread across the Mediterranean, and all offer a rich blend of sun, sea, sand, history, culture, and foodie delights.
As you’d expect, there are a number of Spanish spots on the list, including the emerging Canary Islands favourite of La Palma, Jerez de la Frontera near the historic city of Cadiz, and the popular Valencia.
Elsewhere, you’ll also find the major cities of Marseille in France, Porto in Portugal, and Verona in Italy on the list, but if you’re keen to visit somewhere a little more off the beaten track, why not try and trip to Zadar in Croatia or Preveza in Greece, which both appear to be growing in popularity.
One of the real stand-out gems on the list though has to be what is dubbed the ‘Maldives of Europe’.
Holiday season is well underway at Manchester Airport / Credit: Ivan Shimko (via Unsplash)
Albania’s capital Tirana is not only a great candidate for a city break, but it’s also the starting point for intrepid explorers seeking out the stunning beaches on the Albanian Riviera – which have become famous on social media over the past couple of years, and have drawn comparisons to the bucket list destination of the Maldives.
“Sometimes, a destination will go viral on social media or see a spike in demand as adventurous travellers discover it,” explained Stephen Turner, who is the Chief Commercial Officer at Manchester Airport. “And we then see that translate into airlines adding extra flights or flying larger aircraft to those destinations to meet that demand.
“We keep our finger on the pulse to analyse these trends and we work with our airline partners to ensure that if a particular destination is in vogue, or emerging as a new favourite, you can get there from Manchester.”
See the full list of stunning destinations and get booking your next trip here.
Featured Image – Nick Karvounis (via Unsplash)
Trending
SpudBros are returning to the Trafford Centre following HUGELY successful debut
Emily Sergeant
Viral internet sensation SpudBros are returning to the Trafford Centre following their hugely successful debut.
Following the ‘overwhelming’ success of their first Trafford Centre residency earlier this summer, the UK’s most-followed jacket potato creators SpudBros are returning to the iconic retail destination for a second pop-up later this month.
Shoppers will once again be able to tuck into freshly prepared, fully loaded jacket potatoes served up in minutes, all without compromising on quality, flavour, or portion size.
The SpudBros – also known as Jacob and Harley Nelson – will, once again, be returning as part of Trafford Centre‘s annual summer fair.
At the pop-up, you’ll be able to pick from fan favourites like the Tram Classic, which is loaded with garlic butter, the signature three-cheese mix, beans, crispy onions, and world-famous ‘tram’ sauce, to the Spudfather topped with chilli con carne, tuna, and coleslaw.
There’s also a range of other flavour-packed options to tuck into, alongside the option to build your own potato, allowing every customer to create their perfect lunch.
“The response to our first week at Trafford Centre was incredible, so we couldn’t be more excited to return,” commented SpudBros co-founder, Jacob Nelson.
Viral internet sensation SpudBros are launching a special pop-up at Trafford Centre this summer / Credit: The Manc Group
“Manchester has always shown us so much support online and it was amazing to finally bring SpudBros to the city. We’re looking forward to serving even more visitors and welcoming back everyone who came to see us the first time around.”
Simon Layton, Centre Director at Trafford Centre, added: “SpudBros was a fantastic addition to our summer line-up and proved hugely popular with our visitors, so we’re delighted to welcome the team back for a second pop-up.”
The SpudBros pop-up will be located outside The Great Hall next week from Monday 24 to Saturday 29 August, serving signature loaded potatoes daily from 12-8pm.