Blackpool Council has begun the process of shuttering local adult entertainment venues in a bid to build a cleaner image for the holiday resort.
There are currently four lap dancing clubs in the Lancashire seaside town – but authorities have now begun the process of closing them for good.
The rationale behind the move is to make the town more “family friendly”.
Councillor Adrian Hutton – who chairs the licensing committee at Blackpool Council – has said that he hopes to fully eradicate the number of strip clubs in the town, but rather than forcing venues to cease trading immediately, the council is aiming to take a “softly, softly” approach.
Mr Hutton told the Sky News Daily Podcast that: “We’ve been looking at changes in Blackpool for a number of years.
“We used to, or we still do to some extent, but not as much, suffer from the stag and hen nights, and obviously lap dancing clubs are used by young men and some older ones when they come to Blackpool for their stag nights. That has decreased considerably through the council’s effort to get hoteliers and restaurants… to stop catering specifically for stag and hen nights”.
It is hoped the venues will eventually “diminish” due to lack of trade, Mr Hutton said.
While the process has already begun to close the venues, strip club workers believe fears are based on “misconceptions”.
Toni Mansell, a passionate advocate of the rights of strippers and sex workers, told Sky News: “There is no reason why adult entertainment and family-friendly entertainment can’t exist (together).
“We’re not asking anyone to put a topless bar in the middle of Disneyland.”
Councillor Hutton said that he hopes the ban will have an impact across the UK, and added that if the current strategy does not prove successful, then the council will “look at it again and see whether we need to take any other actions”.
Featured Image – Wikimedia Commons
Rugby legend, ultra-marathon runner, inspiration | Kevin Sinfield — Manc of the Month November 2022
It’s that time of the month again (no, not that one): it’s time to pick our Manc of the Month for November and while there were plenty to pick from, one man has stood out in the past few weeks.
Kevin Sinfield is the ex-rugby player turned coach, ultra-marathon-runner and mega-fundraiser from our very own Oldham who did something truly amazing earlier this month.
The 42-year-old former loose forward, who currently serves as a defensive coach for the Leicester Tigers in the rugby union, has gone from a Manc-born sporting role model to a national hero thanks to his extremely admirable charity work over the past couple of years.
This bloke is a machine.
Seven ultra-marathons in seven days
For anyone unaware of Sinfield’s latest exploits, the former Leeds Rhinos player and director undertook the immense ‘Ultra 7 in 7‘ challenge earlier this month, tasking himself with the ridiculous feat of running seven ultra-marathons in seven days.
To put that into context, a standard marathon measures just over 26 miles or 42 kilometres; ultra marathons regularly clock in at 50km or more. Sinfield is said to have covered more than 256 miles (approx. 417km), averaging more than 60km a day. Insane.
Finishing the series of ultra-marathons alongside his dedicated team of runners on November 19 at Old Trafford, just in time for the 2022 Rugby League World Cup final, he was met with rapturous applause from the crowd — and rightly so.
The ex-Rhinos and England international set himself the target of raising £777,777 for Motor Neuron Disease in honour of his former teammate and equally inspiring close friend, Rob Burrows. He went on to absolutely smash that goal, amassing an incredible £1.4 million in donations in just a week.
Moreover, just last year he put himself through similarly unimaginable levels of strain by running a 24-hour marathon for the first time, raising over £1m for MND in November 2021 alone.
Again, this man is utterly remarkable.
Covering more than double the distance he managed the last time around, raising a total of over £2.3m across his two 7 in 7 ultra runs, it cannot be understated how much he has done for more than five different motor neuron disease charities in just a few short years.
Even before his latest heroics, Sinfield’s contributions to motor neuron awareness and fundraising were recognised by the local ouncil alongside record-breaking rower and Oldham native, Frank Rothwell, who were both bestowed with the little-known ‘Freedom of the Borough’ award back in March.
As for this year’s ultra-marathon challenge, his route saw him trek all the way from Edinburgh, through various parts of Yorkshire and, finally, back down to his home county of Greater Manchester. Not even bathroom breaks could stop him.
Compelled to run and raise as much as possible to support the MND community and honour Burrows, who was diagnosed with the disease back in 2019, Sinfield has made it his mission to help raise awareness and fund research into the rare condition which affects the brain and nervous system.
Joined by peers like footballer Stephen Darby as well as late rugby union colleague and fellow MND suffer Doddie Weir, who sadly passed away just last week, these and many more who supported Sinfield’s campaign have done untold levels of good when it comes to highlighting the disease.
Since beginning his fundraising journey in 2019, Kevin Sinfield has now raised over £7 million for the Motor Neuron Disease Association (MNDA) and related charities through his ultra-marathons and other charitable efforts, a miraculous and potentially fortune-changing amount that could save countless lives.
This absolute hero has already helped raise in excess of £2.6m all told with this year’s Ultra 7 in 7 alone, but if you want to join the millions of people still donating then you can do so HERE.
Featured Image — Wikimedia Commons/Hull FC/Leicester Tigers
Alzheimer’s drug hailed as ‘major step forward’ as trials suggest it can slow memory loss
Alzheimer’s Research UK has hailed the drug lecanemab as a ‘truly historic moment’ for dementia research after trials found it can slow the rate of decline in people’s memory.
Results from a three-phase clinical trial have been published today by pharmaceutical company Eisai.
The data has shown that the drug can help Alzheimer’s patients over 18 months and help them with day-to-day activities.
The trial included 1,795 people in the early stages of the disease, who received bi-weekly infusions of either lecanemab or a placebo.
Alzheimer’s Research UK has said that the findings represent a ‘major step forward’ for dementia research.
They noted, however, that lecanemab did come with significant side effects.
Dr Susan Kohlhaas, Director of Research at Alzheimer’s Research UK, said: “These exciting findings represent a major step forward for dementia research and could herald a new era for people with Alzheimer’s disease. This is the first time a drug has been shown to both reduce the disease in the brain and slow memory decline in clinical trials.
“Lecanemab works by clearing the amyloid protein that builds up in the brain in people with Alzheimer’s disease. In this trial, the drug slowed down participants’ decline in memory and thinking, and their ability to carry out day-to-day activities. Although the benefits were small and came with significant side effects, it marks the arrival of a treatment that can slow the course of Alzheimer’s disease.
“With all this excitement, there are still many questions and challenges we need to address.
“The treatment window in the trial was for 18 months, so we don’t yet know whether there will be impacts to people that last beyond this. Longer-term studies that are ongoing will tell us whether the modest improvements seen in the trial change the trajectory of the disease longer-term.
“Lecanemab was associated with severe side effects, and it will be important for regulators to understand the safety profile of the drug before it is given a full license for use.
“The benefits of taking lecanemab in the trial were modest but the challenge and opportunity remains within dementia research to build on these findings into an era where we’re developing multiple treatments against different aspects of Alzheimer’s disease to slow and stop the disease.
“It’s safe to say that the NHS is not ready for a new era of dementia treatment.
“We estimate that unless there are drastic changes in how people access specialist diagnostic tests for Alzheimer’s disease, only 2% of people eligible for drugs like lecanemab will be able to access them. We recommend, through the new Dementia Mission, the government take urgent steps to bring together regulators, industry, clinicians and decision-makers in our health system to put a clear plan in place to ensure people in the UK are among the first in the world to access new treatments once they are licensed.
“This is truly a historic moment for dementia research. This year is the 30th anniversary of the seminal work that revealed the central role of amyloid protein in Alzheimer’s. The road to an anti-amyloid treatment has been a long one and people with Alzheimer’s have seen many disappointing setbacks.
“We hope that this drug will make it to patients, but it won’t be suitable for everyone with Alzheimer’s, and it’s only a first step on the journey towards a cure.”