MediaCity’s waterfront art exhibition Box on the Docks is reopening its crates and welcoming back visitors for one weekend only.
20 of the region’s best artists will be heading to Salford for ‘Box on the Docks: Unwrapped’ this weekend – showcasing collections of original artwork, paintings, photography and jewellery in their own individual pods.
The dazzling stalls will open from 10am – 5pm, Saturday 12 to Sunday 13 December – offering the perfect opportunity for visitors to shop local and bag some brilliant presents just in time for Christmas.
Among the displays, visitors will find boxes dedicated to LS Lowry; wrapping paper, posters; prints; and even a cube containing digital fairies from an enchanted woodland.
Other pods invite people to take part in experiences – such as listening to true life stories told by Manchester’s older residents or exploring a soundscape created by electronic giants Underworld – whilst the surroundings will be adorned in magical Christmas lighting just for the occasion.
The MediaCityUK gardens and piazza is truly dressed to the nines this year; featuring a digital Christmas tree, an Insta-worthy shimmer wall and an Elf and Fairy garden.
Salford Food Bank Giftbox (designed by Carbon Creative) will also be serving items such as coffee, jarred sauces and boil in a bag rice or pasta to support local families in need.
Josie Cahill, Director of Place for MediaCityUK said: “Box on the Docks: Unwrapped continues to support local artists and works well alongside the Makers’ Market where people can safely browse, soak up the festive atmosphere as well as support local and independent traders.
“So, wrap up warm, and head down to MediaCity this weekend to enjoy street food at the Makers’ Market, meet talented artists and admire the Christmas lights.”
Box on the Docks will have a limited capacity, with all visitors required to remain 2 metres apart in adherence with social distancing requirements.
For those unable to visit in person, a virtual gallery will be available on the Box On The Docks website.
The full list of artists taking part include:
- Manchester Street Poem: mcrstreetpoem.com / @mcrstreetpoem
- Heard Storytelling: heardstorytelling.com / @heard_stories
- Mikesian Studio: mikesian.studio / @mikesian.studio
- Nick Chaffe: nickchaffe.com / @nickchaffe
- Sally Marshall: @sallymarshallart
- Reform: www.reform.page / @reform.page
- Lois Gilbert: @loisapple
- Katie Tomlinson: katietomlinson.co.uk / @kt_tomlinson
- Jive Prints: jiveprints.co.uk / @jiveprints
- Tannah Cantrell: @tannahcantrell
- Venessa Scott: venessascott.co.uk / @venessascott_
- Lottie Bayliss: @lottillo
- Caroline Coates: carolinecoates.co.uk / @carolinecoates
- Helena Worthington: @helenaworthington
- Daniel Waggett: dwaggett.com / @dwaggett