Second coronavirus wave is a “six-month problem” says Professor Chris Whitty
Professor Chris Whitty, England's Chief Medical Officer, and scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance, hosted a televised presentation of the recent coronavirus data on Monday morning (21 September).
Professor Chris Whitty has called the second wave of coronavirus in Britain a “six-month problem” – warning that cases could potentially rise to 50,000 per day if trends continue.
“What we’re seeing is a rate of increase across the majority of the country,” he said on Monday.
“As we go through in time, any [region in the UK] which was falling is beginning to rise.
“This is not someone else’s problem; this is all of our problem.
“We have, in a bad sense, turned a corner. The seasons are against us.
ADVERTISEMENT
“We should see this as a six-month problem.”
England’s Chief Medical Officer and the government’s Chief Scientific Adviser Sir Patrick Vallance delivered the message during a televised presentation on Monday morning (21 September) to address the second wave of coronavirus which has appeared across the UK in recent weeks.
ADVERTISEMENT
David Dixon / Geograph
Looking at other countries to “learn lessons”, Vallance stated: “We’ve seen increase in cases across Europe. It started with younger people in their twenties and spread gradually to older people as well.
“This has translated to an increase in hospitalisations.
“Sadly, but not unexpectedly, deaths are also increasing.”
ADVERTISEMENT
The number of cases in Britain is now over 3,000 per day on average; the highest levels seen since May.
But Vallance said this could grow very quickly, and that every age group is now beginning to see an increase in cases.
“I’d like to remind you how quickly this can move,” he added.
“We think the epidemic is doubling roughly every seven days. If that continues unabated… by mid-October we would end up with something like 50,000 cases per day.
“The vast majority of the population remain susceptible and therefore you’d expect spread.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Vallance reiterated that whilst this was not a prediction, it should serve as a warning as to what could potentially happen.
Currently, as many as 11 million people in the UK are living under tighter restrictions – which include curbs on socialising and visiting family and friends.
Certain businesses have also had their opening hours reduced, whereas the hospitality sector in Bolton – the town with the highest rate of cases in the country – has been asked to revert to takeaway-only.
Wikimedia Commons
Prime Minister Boris Johnson had previously stated that he did not want a national lockdown, but admitted measures would likely have to go further than the recently-imposed Rule of Six.
More local restrictions have been introduced since, and from 28 September anyone who has either tested positive or been contacted by Test & Trace must self-isolate or risk a fine of up to £10,000.
ADVERTISEMENT
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps called Monday’s briefing “very stark,” claiming the UK is now at a “tipping point“.
Whitty and Valance were familiar figures in the early part of the pandemic, having flanked the Prime Minister during his daily updates in spring.
Whilst they’ve largely appeared calm and collected, the subject matter of the briefings has meant the pair’s presence on the podium has since come to symbolise the imminent arrival of bad news.
And indeed, the message on Monday was a foreboding one: The UK could be set for a very challenging winter period unless the tide begins to turn soon.
News
Vintage fashion sale to pop up in Greater Manchester with all proceeds going to charity
Emily Sergeant
A sustainable vintage fashion shop and kilo sale is popping up in a Greater Manchester town in a couple of days time.
And all the proceeds will go to a very-worthy charity.
Merely weeks after the UK’s largest vintage market descended on the iconic Victoria Baths in Manchester city centre, another sustainable fashion event will be popping up in one of the region’s popular shopping centres for the month.
British Heart Foundation will be hosting a brand-new pop-up shop and vintage kilo sale, where you can buy clothing and other goods at a fixed price per kilogram, in Stretford town centre.
Opening its doors this Saturday (5 April), the charity will be taking over the vacant unit that’s next door to JD Sports to provide the Stretford community with a charity shop filled with all sorts of vintage goods and thrifty finds.
Visitors will be able to sift through shelves stacked with major brands at bargain prices, making it the perfect way to sustainably stock up on wardrobe staples and revamp ready for spring.
A vintage fashion sale is popping up in a Greater Manchester town centre with all proceeds going to charity / Credit: Supplied
All proceeds from the pop-up shop will go directly to the British Heart Foundation, helping to fund vital research into cures and treatments for heart and circulatory diseases, so whether you’re a fashion lover, an avid bargain hunter, or you simply just want to support a good cause, you know where to head on down to.
Running right through until 19 April, this venture is set to be a massively-valuable new addition to Stretford town centre.
The British Heart Foundation pop-up store will be open on Mondays – Saturdays from 10am-4pm, and on Sundays from 10am-3:30pm.
Featured Image – Supplied
News
Beloved plant-based independent street food business Herbivorous is set to close imminently
Danny Jones
We hate writing this, but we have news of yet another local hospitality closure as beloved Manchester-born and pioneering plant-based brand Herbivorous has confirmed they’ll soon be calling it a day.
If you can hear us sighing through the screen, apologies – we’re just getting really fed up of saying farewell to our favourites, so god knows how rubbish those involved feel.
As you can see, the team behind the multi-location vegan street food specialists began by writing: “It’s a long one so stay with me… It seems you can’t open social media at the moment without reading about another hospitality business closing down.
“Throughout 8 years of Herbivorous years we’ve come up against many challenges from Covid 5 years ago to watching all the big vegan brands from London and beyond come to Manchester and largely disappear again to the closure of Hatch our busiest site, but with continually increasing costs its becoming really difficult to maintain a thriving business.”
Herbivorous started out life back in 2016 as a cult hit at the old outdoor food, drink and entertainment hub centring around a ‘container village’, the first of its kind in the city and soon to reopen under new owners and a new name.
Since then, co-founders Robyn and Damian have gone on to expand not just to one permanent site over in Withington but with outposts in Sheffield and York, having gained a strong reputation with stalls and pop-ups all over.
Their hospitality story might not have the ending we personally would hope for, but it’s been a brilliant one for so many foodie fans – us lot included.
Nevertheless, they go on to add in the emotional statement that external pressures such as a recent bereavement and their own ever-growing family have also contributed to the decision which, despite being an understandably hard one, “feel like the right time.”
“We are so incredibly proud of how far we’ve come from spending long days slinging duck wraps from our green vintage horse box at festivals to three Herbi locations across the North of England”, they continue, “and with that we’ve also met so many fantastic people!”
“Whether you worked for us at a few festivals over [the] summer or for years at our restaurant, we just wanted to say and massive thank you! The memories will stay with us forever and, of course, how can we not mention our fabulous customers!
“Thank you all so much for choosing Herbivorous over the years. Those of you who had our food at Festivals and then found us at one of our permanent locations, those of you who came back week after week to Hatch, Spark, Withington and beyond.”
They signed off by detailing their final business days, with their Sheffield Kommune spot having already shut for refurbishment; meanwhile, their spot in SPARK York will be wrapping up on Saturday, 19 April.
As for their flagship brick-and-mortar venue here in Greater Manchester, Herbivorous Withington will be shutting on Friday, 25 April.
Once again, there’s nothing we can say other than thank you for years of delicious food, that we’re guttted to see you go, and that everyone at The Manc Group wishes you the best whatever comes next.