Major airlines have published fresh updates for customers in the wake of last weekend’s Spain travel quarantine announcement.
New UK rules state that all passengers arriving from Spain willneed to self-isolate for two weeks due to the country experiencing a sudden surge in coronavirus infections.
Officials are discouraging all “non-essential” journeys to Spain, with an alarming rise in case numbers recorded on consecutive days last week.
The UK Government moved quickly to block the air bridge agreement – which allows passengers to move freely between countries without having to quarantine.
Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez has called the response “unjust”.
ADVERTISEMENT
The head of Spanish government is keen for tourism to continue, and is urging Britain to reconsider its decision on the basis that COVID-19 cases are contained to specific regions.
Talks are ongoing and guidelines are subject to change, but in the meantime, many major airlines have been forced to act.
ADVERTISEMENT
Easyjet, Ryanair, Tui, Jet2 and British Airways have all published updates for passengers.
EasyJet’s flights to Spain will continue, but holiday packages have temporarily been put on hold.
The airline said it only offered holidays to destinations where self-isolation on arrival or return was not required.
ADVERTISEMENT
In a statement to customers, the airline said it was “disappointed that the Government has decided to impose a quarantine requirement for those travelling from the whole of Spain since the increased occurrence of coronavirus is regional rather than nationwide.”
EasyJet representatives added: “We plan to operate our full schedule in the coming days.”
Ryanair
Ryanair is continuing to operate its flight schedule to Spain as normal.
Chief Financial Officer Neil Sorahan said: “As things stand, the market remains open, the schedules remain in place and we continue to operate in and out of Spain as normal.”
The airline’s Chief Executive Michael O’Leary has been highly critical of the Government’s quarantine measures, calling the latest announcement a “badly managed overreaction”.
ADVERTISEMENT
TUI
TUI has cancelled all flights and holidays to mainland Spain until August 9.
It had initially hoped to continue routes to the Canary Islands and Balearic Islands, but these flights have now also been halted until at least August 1.
The airline said any customers due to fly to mainland Spain can claim a full refund or change their holiday dates.
Jet2 has grounded its flights to Spain until August 17.
All customers affected are set to be contacted, with refunds available.
ADVERTISEMENT
The airline is advising customers to keep an eye on updates given how the situation was “fast-moving” and subject to change.
A Jet2 spokesperson said: “For customers who are due to travel to Mainland Spain from 17th August onwards, we will provide an additional update once we receive further information from the government.”
British Airways
British Airways said it will continue to operate flights to and from Spain for the time being.
A message on their website states: “If you no longer wish to travel to Spain from the UK, or travel from Spain to the UK, you can claim a voucher for future travel.
“If you are returning from Spain and wish to make a change to you booking, please contact us.”
Travel information continues to be updated regularly, so be sure to check your airline’s website to stay up up-to-date.
News
Manchester Airport to launch 12 more new routes across the world this summer
Emily Sergeant
Mancs will soon get the chance to travel to even more of the most beautiful and underrated places on Earth for the first time.
You may remember that back at the start of the year, Manchester Airport announced seven new ‘exciting’ flight routes to destinations across the world, and now with summer right around the corner and the decade-long £1.3 billion transformation of Terminal 2 pretty much complete, a dozen extra locations have been added to the list.
Already described as being ‘the UK’s global gateway in the North’, Manchester Airport offers a route network that’s unparalleled outside London, with more than 200 destinations served by 50 airlines – but that network is set to widen once again.
A coastal resort in Italy, an architectural gem in Greece, and the largest city in the north of Pakistan are among the cities that will gain new direct flights this summer.
Manchester Airport is launching 12 more new routes across the world this summer / Credit: Reisetopia, Malik-Tayyab & Makis-Hristaras (via Unsplash)
Two major global cities will be added to the airport’s long-haul route network this summer, with Algiers and Lahore set to gain direct flights.
The service to Algeria’s capital will be operated by national airline Air Algerie from 14 June, with prices from £263.43pp return, while Pakistan International Airlines will build upon the successful launch of its Islamabad service by adding Lahore as its second destination from Manchester from 3 July, with fares from £881.23pp return.
Other destinations on the list include easyJet’s new service to Bari in southern Italy, launching on 3 July, Preveza, an airport in mainland Greece that serves as the access point for the picturesque island of Lefkada, starting on 24 June, and Ryanair’s new services to Castellon in eastern Spain and Rimini, a city on Italy’s Adriatic coast, both starting on 1 and 3 June, respectively.
A coastal resort in Italy and an architectural gem in Greece are some of the new destinations / Credit: Alain Rouiller & Jonny Africa (via Unsplash)
A handful of Jet2 services to new locations for the airline have already taken flight over the past couple of months, including La Palma, Palermo, and Pula in Croatia.
“We know people are just as keen as ever to enjoy a holiday abroad this summer, and while places like Mallorca, Alicante and Faro are always in demand, we know many travellers want to explore somewhere new, even if they’re travelling to a country that they’ve visited many times before,” commented Stephen Turner, who is the Chief Commercial Officer at Manchester Airport.
“That’s why we’re so excited to see a dozen new routes coming on board this summer, several of which will connect Manchester to destinations unserved by any other northern airport.
“We’re sure these destinations will prove popular with passengers, and we’re grateful to our airlines for their ongoing commitment to offer passengers flying from Manchester unrivalled choice.”
Featured Image – Ivan Shimko (via Unsplash)
News
Manchester United and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE
Danny Jones
Man United Women and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE after collecting the award this week.
The Greater Mancunian has grown to become one of the most influential female players of the modern era, and now her impact has been immortalised by the monarchy.
Being recognised for services to the discipline on Tuesday, 19 May, the local athlete finally collected her accolade at Windsor Castle.
Presented to her by Prince William, the Tyldesley-born attacker said in a statement: “It’s been amazing. It’s a bit of a pinch-me moment to be here and be honoured with an MBE.
“I never thought when I started out playing football I’d now be called Ella Toone MBE, so it’s a bit crazy.”
Having suffered a tough time out with injury, the 26-year-old also insists she is now back feeling “better and stronger than ever.”
With Sarina Wiegman’s official squad selection for the qualifiers ahead of FIFA’s 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil, she’s also looking forward to reuniting with her England teammates.
Here she is talking to Sky ahead of the games, not long after receiving the award:
"I've missed it so much, can't wait to be back with the girls" 🏴
Ella Toone is looking forward to meeting up with her England teammates next month for World Cup qualifiers against Spain and Ukraine. pic.twitter.com/K02nJbSkE0
Speaking back in December, she confessed that it’s all been “a bit mad” for her ever since she learned of the news, but her worthiness speaks for itself.
Winning not only back-to-back Euros titles with the national side, along with the first-ever UEFA Women’s Finalissima trophy in 2023, but also inspiring young kids dreaming of becoming footballers across the country and beyond.
Congratulations once again, ‘Tooney’ – beyond well-deserved.
Across the city, it’s great to see yet more groundbreaking investment in the women’s game being made for generations to come.