People are being arrested for holding up anti-monarchy signs
People have been arrested for holding up signs reading "Not My King' and "f*ck imperialism", whilst another man was cautioned for holding a blank piece of paper.
A number of UK anti-royalists have been arrested in recent days as the police have been seen to crack down on protests following the passing of Queen Elizabeth II.
As King Charles III begins his royal duties as the new monarch, a number of people have been arrested up and down the country for holding up signs or shouting comments critical of the British monarchy.
Over the past few days, several young people have been arrested in Edinburgh, Scotland, where the Queen’s coffin had been lying in rest at St Giles cathedral before she is moved to Westminster Hall in central London.
Arrests have also been made at the opposite end of the country, with footage showing police leading away a protester outside Downing Street in London for holding up a sign that read “Not My King”.
Meanwhile, in Oxford a man was arrested on Sunday for shouting “who elected him?” while walking past a royal event where King Charles III was being ushered in as king during a county proclamation ceremony.
ADVERTISEMENT
Symon Hill, 45, said of the incident: “Contrary to some claims on social media, I did not say *anything* remotely disrespectful today about Elizabeth’s death. I did not disrupt an act of mourning (and never would). My objection was to the proclamation of Charles Windsor as king.”
After his outburst he was led away by police, handcuffed and put in the back of the van. According to Thames Valley Police he was later de-arrested and is now being investigated for a “public order offense.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Speaking on what happened after the incident, he wrote: “I doubt most of the people in the crowd even heard me. Two or three people near me told me to shut up.
“I didn’t insult them or attack them personally, but responded by saying that a head of state was being imposed on us without our consent.”
Elsewhere, footage emerged on Monday of a man being dragged to the floor by mourners after heckling Prince Andrew as the Queen’s coffin was escorted through Edinburgh.
ADVERTISEMENT
After calling the late Monarch’s youngest son a “sick old man”, the 22 year old man can be seen crashing to the floor before being picked up by a police officer and led away as a chant of “God save the King” is quickly started up in the crowd.
Police later said that the man was later arrested for committing a ‘breach of the peace’.
Another video was shared on social media on Monday showing an anti-royalist being cautioned by a police officer for holding up a blank piece of paper.
As well as tweeting about the experience, Paul Powlesland, 36, filmed the officer asking for his details and saying that he needs to “check and make sure you can be here.”
Paul, a barrister and nature rights activist, says to the officer “I was holding up a blank sign, why are you asking for my details?”
ADVERTISEMENT
The officer replied, “Because you said you were going to write stuff on it, that might offend people about the King”
Just went to Parliament Square & held up a blank piece of paper. Officer came & asked for my details. He confirmed that if I wrote “Not My King” on it, he would arrest me under the Public Order Act because someone might be offended.
According to the legal index In Brief, a breach of the peace is used to prevent “unlawful violence against people or property”
The site says that “an arrest for an anticipated breach of the peace will only be lawful if the threat of the breach is imminent”,
Graham Smith, from the pressure group Republic, said: “This is absolutely the time to talk about the future of the monarchy because we have a new monarch. Charles has become King without consent, without discussion or debate. It has just happened automatically and there is no effort to have a serious debate about that, and that is completely wrong.
“The arrests of protesters over the past 24 hours have been absolutely appalling. The police should be ashamed of themselves.”
ADVERTISEMENT
People are being arrested for expressing their opposition to unelected, hereditary power.
If this was happening in Russia, the Government would be denouncing it on the international stage.
Instead, they're pushing ahead with further legislation to curb our right to protest.
I'm deeply concerned by reports that people are being arrested for expressing their views in support of a Republic. In a democracy, people must always have the right to peacefully express their opinions. I will be seeking to raise this in Parliament when it resumes next week.
Richard Burgon, Labour MP for Leeds East, said: “I’m deeply concerned by reports that people are being arrested for expressing their views in support of a Republic.
“In a democracy, people must always have the right to peacefully express their opinions. I will be seeking to raise this in Parliament when it resumes next week.”
Feature image – UK Fact Check Politics
News
Beloved plant-based independent street food business Herbivorous is set to close imminently
Danny Jones
We hate writing this, but we have news of yet another local hospitality closure as beloved Manchester-born and pioneering plant-based brand Herbivorous has confirmed they’ll soon be calling it a day.
If you can hear us sighing through the screen, apologies – we’re just getting really fed up of saying farewell to our favourites, so god knows how rubbish those involved feel.
As you can see, the team behind the multi-location vegan street food specialists began by writing: “It’s a long one so stay with me… It seems you can’t open social media at the moment without reading about another hospitality business closing down.
“Throughout 8 years of Herbivorous years we’ve come up against many challenges from Covid 5 years ago to watching all the big vegan brands from London and beyond come to Manchester and largely disappear again to the closure of Hatch our busiest site, but with continually increasing costs its becoming really difficult to maintain a thriving business.”
Herbivorous started out life back in 2016 as a cult hit at the old outdoor food, drink and entertainment hub centring around a ‘container village’, the first of its kind in the city and soon to reopen under new owners and a new name.
Since then, co-founders Robyn and Damian have gone on to expand not just to one permanent site over in Withington but with outposts in Sheffield and York, having gained a strong reputation with stalls and pop-ups all over.
Their hospitality story might not have the ending we personally would hope for, but it’s been a brilliant one for so many foodie fans – us lot included.
Nevertheless, they go on to add in the emotional statement that external pressures such as a recent bereavement and their own ever-growing family have also contributed to the decision which, despite being an understandably hard one, “feel like the right time.”
“We are so incredibly proud of how far we’ve come from spending long days slinging duck wraps from our green vintage horse box at festivals to three Herbi locations across the North of England”, they continue, “and with that we’ve also met so many fantastic people!”
“Whether you worked for us at a few festivals over [the] summer or for years at our restaurant, we just wanted to say and massive thank you! The memories will stay with us forever and, of course, how can we not mention our fabulous customers!
“Thank you all so much for choosing Herbivorous over the years. Those of you who had our food at Festivals and then found us at one of our permanent locations, those of you who came back week after week to Hatch, Spark, Withington and beyond.”
They signed off by detailing their final business days, with their Sheffield Kommune spot having already shut for refurbishment; meanwhile, their spot in SPARK York will be wrapping up on Saturday, 19 April.
As for their flagship brick-and-mortar venue here in Greater Manchester, Herbivorous Withington will be shutting on Friday, 25 April.
Once again, there’s nothing we can say other than thank you for years of delicious food, that we’re guttted to see you go, and that everyone at The Manc Group wishes you the best whatever comes next.
AJ Tracey is playing a VERY intimate gig in Manchester next month
Thomas Melia
London rapper and respected grime artist AJ Tracey is ‘live and direct’ once again, announcing a whole host of UK dates, one of which is a rather intimate gig right here in Manchester.
It’s official: one of UK rap’s leading gents is getting back on the road and he’s showing a ‘Little More Love’ to lots of cities, including Manchester.
In a post on the UK star’s socials, AJ Tracey trades his music persona for that of a sports pundit as he announces the dates for his upcoming tour while impersonating an F1 commentator.
Anyone looking to attend Tracey’s ‘Not Even A Tour’ can catch the star up and down the country on his over 20-date tour with a stop in Manchester as soon as this month.
The rapper has reached phenomenal heights since dropping the unforgettable ‘Ladbroke Grove’ in 2019 and is heading out across the nation to make sure everyone knows about it.
Get ready to spit bars left and right as this rapper’s discography is stacked with serious tunes like ‘Dinner Guest’, ‘West Ten’, ‘Thiago Silva’ and more.
More recently, he collaborated with Walsall’s finest Jorja Smith for a flirty garage beat also known as ‘Crush’ with the video being the two artists talking it out in a good old fashioned caff.
The latest collaboration with Smith marks the start of a new era for Mr. Live and direct as it fell in line with the announcement of his third studio album.
Titled Don’t Die Before You’re Dead, we’re sure he’ll be “building a vibe” wherever he goes and probably previewing a few exclusive tracks from his upcoming project too.
This gig may come as quite a surprise for any hardcore fans of the ‘Ladbroke Grove’ star as the venue in which he’s performing is definitely intimate only, holding just over 250 guests.
This rap giant is bringing his unbelievable beats to none other than the legendary small-cap city centre live music venue, The Deaf Institute, at the end of this month.
It’s safe to say you won’t get many more chances, if any, to see him in such a tight-knit space again.
AJ Tracey is bringing ‘Not Even A Tour’ to Deaf Institute in Manchester on 30 April, with tickets on sale Friday 4 April from 12 noon.