Helen Flanagan has broken a months-long social media silence to explain to fans that she has been going through struggles with her mental health.
The former Coronation Street star explained that she’d had a ‘really bad reaction’ to some ADHD medication, which triggered psychosis.
The 33-year-old actress also said that she had been ’emotionally struggling’ after splitting with Scott Sinclair, with whom she shares three children.
Helen Flanagan wrote on Instagram that she’s had ‘a lot of difficult things going on’, explaining why she has stepped back from the public eye since January.
She also said that she was unaware that she was in the psychosis, which lasted for days.
ADVERTISEMENT
It left her unable to continue with theatre rehearsals and instead Helen stayed at home with her family to recover.
Helen also said that she’d decided to try the medication after struggling with her mental health throughout December and January, so that she could ‘cope better with being a working single mum-of-three’.
ADVERTISEMENT
But the Bury-born beauty then assured her one million followers that she was in a ‘really good happy place now’ and ‘feels lighter’.
She wrote, alongside a fresh-faced selfie on Instagram: “Had a few months off from social but I’m back now. So basically I really struggled mental health wise December/ January. I felt really not great in my head over Christmas and I didn’t really feel that much different when I took the kids away for new year.
Helen Flanagan has been off social media since January. Credit: Instagram
“I had a lot of difficult things going on, things I just can’t talk about on Instagram.
ADVERTISEMENT
“I felt terrible, so I was due my theatre tour which I was excited about so when I came back from holiday I thought it was best for me to take some medication so I’d feel better and be able to cope better with being a working single mum of three and I was emotionally struggling with the break up from the father of my kids but I had a really bad reaction though to the medication ( an ADHD medication) and it sent me into a psychosis for a few days which I didn’t know I was in. I just love my kids so much.
“This bad reaction though was a few days before rehearsals were starting and sadly I just wasn’t mentally well enough to do it.
“I was heartbroken as I’ve always been professional as an actress but i needed to stay at home and feel better for me and my kids, with the help of my amazing parents.
“I’ve always been honest on here and I feel in a really good happy place now. Therapy can be amazing and I feel like I’ve worked on myself with things that were quite tough to me but I feel lighter now. Anyway sending love and please be kind.”
She’s been flooded with well-wishes since sharing the very personal update.
ADVERTISEMENT
Her former Corrie co-star and on-screen sister Brooke Vincent wrote: “Nice to see you back my girl. Love you lots xx”
Another Corrie legend, Cath Tyldesley, said: “Beautiful girl love you lots you are so brave . Health comes first. Well done for sharing as I’m sure it will help others xxxx.”
Another person said: “I read the word struggle, but I felt the word strength. There’s so much strength in seeking help, especially as a busy, working mama. You don’t even need to explain.”
Beloved Greater Manchester-born presenter Judith Chalmers has died at 90
Danny Jones
Well-known Greater Manchester native and beloved British TV presenter Judith Chalmers has sadly died at 90 years old.
The former Wish You Were Here…? host was known not only for the once smash-hit travel programme, which ran for the best part of three decades, but she also enjoyed a spot on BBC Radio 2, along with the Strictly forerunner, Come Dancing, among many other guest appearances over the decades.
Judith Rosemary Locke Chalmers OBE, to use her full title, was born in Stockport back in 1935 and is said to have passed away peacefully at home on Thursday evening, 21 May.
The tributes to the broadcasting legend are continuing to pour in online.
A familiar Northern face, Chalmers presented the primetime show from its inception in 1974 until 2003, and was made an OBE for her services to broadcasting in 1994.
The proud Gatley girl enjoyed a long and successful stint on screen before having to step away from her various duties in her later years due to declining health.
She leaves behind her husband, Neil Durden-Smith – himself a former sports commentator – along with two children, including Mark Durden-Smith, who has also gone on to a career in presenting
Unfortunately, Chalmers was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s a few years ago, meaning she gradually withdrew from the public eye even further; those around her have done plenty of important fundraising for the cause ever since.
Stopfordians have also been honouring the local lass’ legacy and much-admired reputation.
I met legendary broadcaster Judith Chalmers, who has died aged 90, when as a boy I won a competition to be VIP guest at a celebrity cricket match played at @StockportCounty Judith, who hosted the event, was happy to be home as she was raised in Gatley #SCFC#StockportCountypic.twitter.com/58pcm39y3V
In a statement issued to ITV (once her long-time employers), her family said: “After living an extraordinary life that involved over 60 years in broadcasting and countless adventures all over the globe, Judy sadly passed away last night, surrounded by the family she loved so much after suffering with Alzheimer’s for some years.
“We will miss her greatly, but she leaves behind a giant suitcase of the happiest of memories.”
Our thoughts are with her family, friends and long-established fan base up and down the country at this difficult time.
Rest in peace.
Featured Images — Thames TV/ITV (archive images)
TV & Showbiz
A special UK exclusive screening of the new Star Wars movie is taking place here in Manchester
Danny Jones
Calling all die-hard Star Wars fans across the galaxy (or at least here in Britain, anyway), a special screening of the franchise’s newest film, The Mandalorian and Grogu, is coming exclusively to a Manchester cinema.
Even better still, it’s the only place in the UK that will be showing it. So damn cool.
The new spin-off set to land in theatres this month is the latest addition to the Star Wars cinematic universe and expands the hit Mandalorian TV series.
Most exciting regarding its domestic release here in the likes of Manchester, the VUE cinema in the Printworks is the only place putting on the IMAX version of the new movie.
Made specifically for IMAX, this is the first Star Wars film shot for and using fully IMAX-certified digital cameras and designed specifically for the experience.
The Mandalorian and Grogu – which is set to drop later this week – features 53 minutes presented in Printworks Manchester’s towering IMAX 1.43:1 aspect ratio.
Aimed to maximise screen size, deliver the most high-end visuals as possible, and further help with overall immersion, there really is nothing quite like it.
If you’ve ever seen a film in IMAX, you’ll know just how much extra enjoyment it brings.
With the Printworks branch selected as the UK’s exclusive destination for the film’s expanded 1.43:1 IMAX presentation, Greater Manchester are in for an absolute treat.
You can see the most recent trailer down below.
Let’s just say it’s received ‘mixed’ reviews, so far…
To celebrate launch day even further, VUE Printworks will also be hosting a limited one-off early morning screening at 6am, giving the most dedicated fans a chance to be among the first audiences in the country to see Din Djarin and Grogu make their big screen debut.
If anything, the seemingly divisive early reactions to the full feature film expansion of the ‘Mando’ lore have kind of made us want to watch it even more.
As always with these things, we’d encourage you to go along and make your own mind up, but we’ll be honest: our heavy Star Wars obsession will most likely make us biased to love this almost unconditionally. Tickets are live now right HERE.
Will you be going to see it?
Just over 2 hours, The Mandalorian and Grogu film hits streaming later this year. (Credit: The Manc)