A man has been jailed after ‘abusing and isolating’ a young teenage girl from Manchester who he groomed on social media.
David Stewart, from Birmingham, has been jailed this week after pleading guilty to two counts of sexual activity with a child under 16, meeting up with a child following sexual grooming, child abduction, and witness intimidation.
He is also subject to an indefinite Sexual Harm Prevention Order and a restraining order.
The 25-year-old’s sentencing comes after Manchester Children’s Services received a disclosure from a parent who had serious concerns about the inappropriate behaviour of Stewart towards her teenage daughter back in August 2023.
Following notice of the report, officers and partners based in Greater Manchester Police‘s (GMP) multi-agency Complex Safeguarding Hub immediately launched an investigation to understand the serious allegations, while specialist agencies were also deployed to safeguard the victim and her family.
ADVERTISEMENT
#JAILED | Man jailed for nine years for grooming and isolating young girl in Manchester following swift investigation from officers and partners
Specialist agencies were deployed to safeguard the victim and her family and offer them the support and care they needed pic.twitter.com/Z5wzGdaRfr
— Greater Manchester Police (@gmpolice) March 4, 2025
GMP’s investigation uncovered that around May 2023, Stewart contacted the victim – who was a 13-year-old girl at the time – on social media, and over several months, groomed her, isolated her from support, repeatedly lured her away from family, and went on to sexually exploit her.
Stewart was subsequently arrested on suspicion of sexual grooming in September 2023.
ADVERTISEMENT
He was bailed while detectives built a case, but was given a child abduction warning notice, which prohibited him from contacting the victim or spending time with her.
Despite this, police received intelligence in December 2023 that Stewart was still in contact with the victim and had even lured her to the airport where he sexually abused her.
Stewart was then swiftly re-arrested in the West Midlands, and was transported back to Manchester where he was charged and remanded so that he could not be a risk to anyone.
“Stewart manipulated and abused this young girl to satisfy his own depraved sexual urges,” explained Detective Inspector Chris Chadderton following the sentencing.
“He continued to offend whilst under police investigation, demonstrating his callous and brazen nature, so I am pleased that this sentence has been passed down and he is now behind bars.”
Featured Image – GMP
News
Manchester’s tiny new tiramisu hatch Layr speaks out after receiving influx of ‘hostile’ hate messages
Emily Sergeant
Manchester’s tiny new tiramisu hatch has spoken out after receiving a recent influx of ‘hostile’ hate messages and reviews.
Having only opened its doors – or should we say, shutters – at the end of last month (29 January) over in Acoats, Layr is one of Manchester’s newest independent businesses that is selling purely tiramisu, with a menu of three different flavours, each served in individually portioned pots.
Here you can expect classic tiramisu where sponge is soaked in espresso, then layered with vanilla marscapone and cocoa dust.
These freshly-made, alcohol-free and Halal desserts have gone down an absolute treat with residents and visitors to the city alike since opening, but unfortunately, it hasn’t been completely smooth sailing for founder Moona who has admitted over the weekend that they have been receiving a number of ‘hostile’ hate comments and reviews that don’t reflect the service they are providing.
The statement comes after the business teamed up with The Couture Club and influencer Farron Clark for a Valentine’s collaboration over the weekend.
Layr said in its Instagram statement: “As a small independent business, we can’t stay silent when things aren’t right. It’s hard to share, but it has to be said.
“With a heavy heart, we need to address something that’s been happening behind the scenes. Over the past few days, we’ve noticed a pattern that’s been difficult to process. Hostile hate-messages, comments, and reviews. A number of one-star reviews have appeared that don’t feel reflective of real customer experiences… with some of our genuine customer photos have been screenshotted and reposted elsewhere.
Layr has spoken out after receiving an influx of ‘hostile’ hate messages / Credit: The Manc Group
“As a small, new independent business, we take all feedback on board. However instances that appear not to be genuine are disheartening to see.”
They then shared a couple of screenshot images of reviews and comments they were referring to, before adding that: “The industry is already a challenge without these instances. We all need each other’s support and I hope we all succeed in what we set out to achieve.”
The statement concluded: “Let’s spread love… not hate.”
Layr’s post has seen hundreds of likes and comments from customers and other local businesses sharing their support.
Featured Image – The Manc Group
News
Government announces social media crackdown with potential ban for under 16s
Emily Sergeant
The Government has announced a social media crackdown in a bid to keep children safe amid rapid technology changes.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer wants to take ‘immediate action’ to make the online world safer for children.
The new measures announced today include a crackdown on ‘vile’ illegal content created by AI, including fast action to shut a legal loophole and force all AI chatbot providers to abide by illegal content duties in the Online Safety Act or face the consequences of breaking the law.
The Government says it’s also taking new legal powers to lay the groundwork for immediate action following its consultation on children’s wellbeing online carried out earlier this year.
No social media platform should get a free pass when it comes to protecting our kids.
These new powers introduced this week will mean Government ministers can act fast on the findings of the consultation within months, rather than waiting years for new primary legislation every time technology evolves, and this means, crucially, being able to prohibit measures like setting a minimum age limit for social media – which Australia famously became the first country to do so last year – and restricting features like infinite scrolling that are also harmful.
It’s also likely that there will be restrictions introduced on children’s use of AI chatbots, as well as options to age-restrict or limit children’s VPN, and changing the age of digital consent.
The Prime Minister has insisted ‘no platform gets a free pass’.
The Government has announced a social media crackdown with a potential ban for under 16s / Credit: Julian Christ (via Unsplash)
“As a dad of two teenagers, I know the challenges and the worries that parents face making sure their kids are safe online,” Mr Starmer said.
“Technology is moving really fast, and the law has got to keep up. With my Government, Britain will be a leader not a follower when it comes to online safety. The action we took on Grok sent a clear message that no platform gets a free pass.
“Today we are closing loopholes that put children at risk, and laying the groundwork for further action. We are acting to protect children’s wellbeing and help parents to navigate the minefield of social media.”