One of the Peak District’s most impressive landmarks is being turned into a pop-up cinema this spring.
The dramatic Peak Cavern will be kitted out with a full cinema set-up, plus cosy blankets and hot water bottles, for an unmissable film experience.
The next series of Village Screen events will begin later this month, with films on the bill including Dune, The Lost Boys, and Back to the Future.
Lovers of a horror film will also be able to watch The Descent – a critically-acclaimed thriller flick that’s actually set in a cave system – in the most eerily immersive setting possible.
Visitors are greeted by live music, street food stalls, and pop-up bars before heading through to the cinema area, surrounded on all sides by stunning natural limestone walls.
The Peak Cavern itself is one of the gems of the Peak District, with a fascinating history.
The rock formation used to be known as the ‘Devil’s arse’, because of the fart-like noises created by the water that flowed through it.
It also has the largest cave entrance in the British Isles, at 20m in height, 35m in width, and 100m in length.
Inside are the remains of a rope maker’s village – and in more modern times, it’s the Village Screen that keeps visitors flocking back here.
The full line-up of films will all be projected onto a 21ft screen, with state-of-the-art sound and lighting.
Movie-goers can get drinks and snacks delivered to their seats during the film, and add on ‘Snuggle Packages’, which include blankets, hot water bottles, cushions, and a selection of sweets and chocolate.
The Village Screen is a small, independent events team that has been running cinema experiences at the Peak Cavern since 2017, with 60 cave events so far.
The company is also behind similar events at the Victoria Baths former swimming pool in Manchester itself.
The Village Screen was set up in 2015 to create a stunning cinema experience, showing classic films in unexpected locations – they’ve also made use of venues like Kenwood Hall in Sheffield and Hathersage Swimming Pool, plus a range of drive-in experiences.
They also work with some of the UK’s best street food vendors, musicians and entertainers.
The next Village Screen series at Peak Cavern will run between Thursday 28 April and Sunday 15 May – the full programme is below.
Tickets are on sale now at thevillagescreen.com/pop-up-cinema.
The Village Screen’s Peak Cavern line-up for spring 2022.
- Thursday 28 April – The Lost Boys, doors at 6pm, film at 8pm
- Friday 29 April – The Goonies, doors at 6pm, film at 8pm
- Saturday 30 April – The Descent, doors at 5.30pm, film at 7.30pm
- Sunday 1 May – Back to the Future, doors at 5.30pm, film at 7.30pm
- Thursday 5 May – Pulp Fiction, doors at 6pm, film at 8pm
- Friday 6 May – The Lost Boys, doors at 6pm, film at 8pm
- Saturday 7 May – The Rocky Horror Picture Show, doors at 5.30pm, film at 7.30pm
- Sunday 8 May – Dune, doors at 5.30pm, film at 7.30pm
- Friday 13 May – Alien, doors at 6pm, film at 8pm
- Saturday 14 May – Princess Bride, doors at 5.30pm, film at 7.30pm
- Sunday 15 May – The Goonies, doors at 5.30pm, film at 7.30pm
Featured image: Nathan Dainty at It’s Nate (@itsnate.uk / www.itsnate.uk)