Local lads The Lathums are looking on course for their second UK Number One album in a row, with the band now into the final day before the Official Charts reveal the winner.
The Wigan-based four-piece stunned the music world by earning their first Number One with their debut album, How Beautiful Life Can Be, and while people round here knew just how massive they were going to be from the off, not everyone expected just how meteoric their rise would be.
They had until midnight on Thursday to notch as many album sales as they could. Gigging earlier this week, frontman Alex Moore told the crowd that “regardless of what happens on Friday night, me and the lads are absolutely overwhelmed by all the love and support… it’s the most amazing feeling in the world”.
From Nothing to a Little Bit More dropped late last month and was met with similarly glowing reviews from fans, critics and new ears alike, so it’s no surprise that they’re right up in there in the race for the top spot.
As it stands, the charts indicate that The Lathums are currently tracking back-to-back Number One albums in less than two years. It’d be quite the achievement. It is said that the likes of slowthai and Mimi Webb are currently sat in a close second and third.
Moreover, the reaction and rallying they have seen online has been incredible, with thousands upon thousands of social media posts from fans and fellow artists waxing lyrical about the band, the album itself and how big it would be for The Lathums to win it.
Not only would a second consecutive number one album be a brilliant local success story, but given the uncertainty that the band have faced over recent months, it’s hard to estimate just how much it would mean to them and the fans.
With bassist Johnny Cunliffe leaving the band back in October, it was unclear what the future would hold for them as a three-piece. However, with Alex, guitarist Scott and drummer Ryan now bolstered once again with the permanent addition of Matty Murphy on bass, they’re just cracking on.
Whether they’ll earn the impressive accolade for a second time in just as many years to make all their hard work pay off remains to be seen but we have every confidence they can pull it off. They deserve it. That Castlefield Bowl gig can’t come soon enough.
Honorary Manc Ariana Grande announces huge world tour – but skips Manchester
Daisy Jackson
Ariana Grande has announced details of a huge world tour, but the honorary Mancunian will be skipping Manchester again.
The 32-year-old, Grammy Award-winning star has instead booked five nights at The O2 in London for her only UK stop on the tour.
Ariana Grande was made an honorary Mancunian back in 2017, in recognition of her work following the Manchester Arena terror attack.
She is the first person to have ever received this honour.
Since the atrocity in the city, which took the lives of 22 people, Ariana has only performed here twice more – once at the One Love concert she organised as a fundraiser for the victims and their families, and once as a headliner of Manchester Pride.
It’s been six years since her last tour, but Ariana Grande is now back, sharing details of her hotly-anticipated The Eternal Sunshine Tour next summer.
As well as her five-night residency in London, she’ll play four nights in LA and Brooklyn, as well as cities right across North America.
Ariana Grande has announced The Eternal Sunshine Tour
Her London dates will be her only European shows on The Eternal Sunshine Tour.
Eternal Sunshine was released in 2024 and was her seventh studio album, spawning singles ‘Yes, And?’, ‘We Can’t Be Friends’, and ‘The Boy Is Mine’.
Ariana Grande is now also an Academy Award and Golden Globe-nominated actress thanks to her starring role in Wicked as Glinda the Good Witch.
Tickets for her tour will go on sale from Tuesday 16 September with an artist presale as well as an O2 Priority Presale. Remaining tickets will be available during the general ons-ale beginning Thursday 18 September at 10am.
Ariana Grande – The Eternal Sunshine Tour Dates 2026
A rising Manc musician is supporting a global popstar on tour in America
Danny Jones
Up-and-coming Greater Manchester musician Elliot James Reay, from just down the road in Bury, has just joined fellow rising solo artist and already established US superstar Benson Boone on his upcoming American tour.
Yes, a lad from Bury is opening for the bloke who belts out that ‘Beautiful Things’ tune that’s been stuck near the top of the charts for what feels like the last year.
Fittingly joining Boone for the US leg of his American Heart tour supporting his sophomore album of the same name, 23-year-old Elliot James Reay has already played a trio of shows warming up the crowds ahead of the headliner and is quickly gaining new fans across the pond.
Especially since his music harkens back to some of their most famous music icons of all time.
The youngster is still having to pinch himself at the mere notion of being on the road with such a big name so early in his career, posting on social media this week, “How do I explain this one to my friends back in Bury?
“A dream come true to be opening for Benson Boone in St Paul last night, I’m eternally grateful for the opportunity to sing to you all and thank you for all the love you gave me!”
Roy Orbison-obsessed Raey – who also takes plenty of look and feel from the likes of Elvis and Billy Fury, among other old school, soulful American singers – has gone from releasing covers on YouTube to dropping his first-ever EP back in June and now playing full Stateside stadiums.
What a whirlwind journey it’s been for the local lad already.
The Manc songwriter and guitarist featured as one of our artists of the month last December, and we’re glad to see he’s only gone from strength to strength.
It’s fair to say that he’s matured a lot in the time since then, let alone the last 12 months or so, and booking a slot as a support act for as big as Benson Boone is right now is nothing short of huge.
We said late last year, and we’ll say it again: we see a bright future ahead for this talented young Macunian, and we wish him all the best for the dozen or so remaining US tour dates.
If you haven’t listened to his stuff before, you can get a little taste with his latest single HERE.
Or, if you want to take our advice, why not watch a great music video filmed around some very familiar city centre sites down below?
He’s certainly got his own style, even if it his heavily inspired by some of the greats.