Manchester’s beloved independent shopping hub Afflecks gearing up ready to reopen its doors to the public next week.
As the country begins ‘Step Two’ in the government’s roadmap to lifting England’s current national lockdown – which crucially allows non-essential retail to begin trading once again – the over 55 independent traders across all four floors of the iconic Northern Quarter-based retail emporium will be open seven days a week from Monday 12th April.
After what has been an exceptionally challenging winter amid the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the whole Afflecks family of independent retail traders are “thrilled” to be ushering in the spring.
Sadly though the two hospitality businesses within the building – Ginger’s Comfort Emporium and Urban Grind – will be reopening during the next phase of lockdown restrictions easing.
They are currently scheduled to reopen on 17th May.
With the summer season on the horizon, Afflecks is encouraging customers to shop independent where possible and “soak up that one-of-a-kind Afflecks experience”, whether that be appreciating the incredible public art, sourcing individual vintage finds, getting a warm welcome from a much-missed trader, or finding that handmade piece you can’t get anywhere else.
The reopening of Afflecks is your chance to support local, independent retail at its very best.
“We’re delighted to be able to support our Afflecks family back to the building.” said Andrea George, Director of Retail at Afflecks’ owners, Bruntwood Works.
“It’s been a long, challenging winter for everyone and the small, independent businesses at Afflecks are no exception. Afflecks is an iconic shopping experience that is recognised across the globe [and] we’re proud to have this beacon of independent retail here in the city.
“We can’t wait to welcome customers back”.
Afflecks COVID-safety Measures
- Compulsory face covering (unless medically exempt).
- Two-metre social distancing
- An increased cleaning schedule of all areas, with a particular focus on ‘touchpoints’.
- Hand sanitiser stations throughout the building.
- One-way system (in certain areas of the building).
- Reduced Capacity – Allowing for social distancing across the site.
- COVID-Safe Traders – All traders have completed COVID-safe risk assessment and will be operating their own individual COVID-safety measures.
- ATM and games machines are not in operation.
- Limited numbers in lifts.
- Monday – Friday: 10.30am – 6pm
- Saturday: 10am – 6pm
- Sunday: 11am – 5pm
You can find more information on COVID-safety precautions ahead of your visit via the Afflecks website here.