Night Time Economy Adviser Sacha Lord is putting his money where his mouth is when it comes to supporting local business and evening trade as he has announced he will be paying for everyone’s food and drink at a local restaurant in South Manchester.
Following on from his tour of Greater Manchester last year, when he covered the bar tab at various local venues for one hour, Sacha Lord is now taking his generous initiative one step further by offering to foot the bill for everyone’s food and drink this Sunday.
Teasing the announcement on Wednesday night, the Parklife and Warehouse Project co-creator told Mancs to prepare for the reveal in the morning, writing: “I’ve chosen an independent restaurant/bar and to show my support, it’s going to be free meals and drinks all day…for everyone…on me.”
Sure enough, just before 9am on Thursday, the Altrincham-born businessman and adviser told his followers that the Thirsty Korean independent restaurant would be selected as the site for his generous offer — and that there are absolutely no bookings, just walk-ins.
Sacha Lord will be offering up free food and drink from the late afternoon onwards.
As he explains in the video, putting his card behind the till over at The Thirsty Korean on Manchester Road in Chorlton — for our money, one of the best foodie scenes anywhere in the region — he will be covering all costs on the night regardless of how many people turn up. Which will be A LOT.
ADVERTISEMENT
Waxing lyrical about the place, Lord said, “I’ve met with the owner [Eunji Noh], she’s amazing, she’s lovely. She has great pride in what she does”, and so it was pretty much a no-brainer when it came to picking a restaurant that just so happens to be one of the best spots in Chorlton.
The Ojingeh Bokkeum: stir-fried squid with onions, spring onions, soy sauce, gochujang and noodles served with sesame oil. My word.
ADVERTISEMENT
He also detailed how he first became aware of the restaurant after Eunji was reported as having been bullied and suffering racist abuse in the midst of advertising her business, and so Lord is urging us Mancs to “stand up to those bullies”.
As for the catch, there isn’t one: “Between 4pm and 10:15pm, go in there, eat as much as you want, drink as much as you want, because I’m footing the bill”, says Sacha.
Knowing full well how packed this place is going to be, he quipped, “There’s no catch… try and rinse me” because, as he quite rightly puts it, “we need to support these independents”. There’s been far too many hospitality closures post-pandemic.
ADVERTISEMENT
Lord will be there himself enjoying the atmosphere as well as his share of the food and drink, so you can always thank him in person on the way out. Just don’t rub how many courses you ordered in his face — salt in the wound and all that.
Meanwhile, there are plenty of other places trying to help punters during the ‘cozzie livs‘ (yes, we hate that we just said that too).
Featured Image — Sacha Lord (via Twitter)/The Thirsty Korean (via Facebook)
Eats
Family behind Salvi’s launch new concept, weeks after iconic restaurant closure
Daisy Jackson
Just weeks after the closure of its iconic, 16-year-old Italian restaurant in the Corn Exchange, the family behind Salvi’s have revealed a brand-new concept.
And this time, the reins are being handed over to the next generation.
Salvi’s founder Maurizio Cecco has helped to shape Amò, but it’s all the brainchild of his daughter, Sienna.
Sienna will run the business out of a unit up on Deansgate Mews, serving fresh pasta dishes, pizza sandwiches, tubs of tiramisu, and two-for-£10 spritzes.
The deli aspect of the original Salvi’s has been carried over to Amò too – you’ll find shelves almost to the ceiling filled with Italian pasta, wine, olive oils, pistachio spreads, and more.
Sienna has grown up in restaurants, with her parents launching Salvi’s when she was just two years old.
She said she wants the space to be a livelier, fresher version of the Italian restaurant that has been so loved by Mancs for so many years.
Sienna outside AmòFresh pasta dishesInside Amò by Salvi’sTheir viral frozen crema di caffeLemon granitaInside Amò by Salvi’sTiramisu pots
Amò, which is Neapolitan slang for ‘my love’, will have loads of fresh Italian dishes, including arancini, gnocchi, and hearty pasta plates.
At lunchtimes, guests can order from a £10 lunch menu, with dishes changing daily depending on the best produce the kitchen can get – it could be a pizza sandwich with proscuitto and tomato, a spicy pasta, or a gnocchi bake, always served with your choice of soft drink.
With its position on Deansgate Mews, Amò basks in the sunshine at lunchtimes.
And while it’s definitely a different concept to the original Salvi’s, Amò looks set to carry the family’s Italian food legacy into its next generation.
Award-winning Didsbury bakery La Chouquette reveals incredible new site
Daisy Jackson
La Chouquette is one of Greater Manchester’s top bakeries – an award-winner, with queues down the street every weekend for its authentic French pastries and loaves.
And now they’re ready for a new chapter, revealing a major expansion today.
Owners Catrina and Flo have painstakingly expanded the bakery into the unit next door, creating what feels like a true French bakery.
And in the midst of this huge renovation project, they’ve welcomed a tiny new baby boy – quite the summer for the couple.
Catrina and Flo launched La Chouquette in lockdown, and in a time where people could only get their hospitality fix from takeaways, immediately became one of the most popular spots in the region.
Their success has been so great, you’ll still consistently find queues down the street every weekend, for their top sellers like their authentic almond croissants.
Then in October 2024, they grew the business and launched Piqniq, a new deli in Didsbury village, serving freshly-baked baguette sandwiches, breakfast butties, toasties, tiramisu pots and their legendary pastries.
The new-look La Chouquette features beautiful details like mosaic floors, rich blue walls, wooden shelves, and brass light fixtures.
La Chouquette’s best-selling almond croissantsInside the stunning new La Chouquette in DidbsuryNew savoury bakesThe chausson aux pommesThe counter stuffed with artisan French bakesChocolate chip cookies and cinnamon buns
The huge new counter displays more pastries and breads than ever before, like a hearty chausson aux pommes filled with apples that will be perfect for autumn, plus seasonal treats like a rhubarb creme brulee pastry, and homemade quiche.
Speaking at the grand relaunch today, Catrina said: “The layout has changed, it looks so much more chic, it looks like a traditional French bakery. We’re really excited about it.”
As for what’s on the counter, Flo reassured fans that their beloved almond and pistachio croissants remain, but with some new savoury editions, like a truffle croque monsieur made with croissant dough.
La Choquette has reopened today, and will be open seven days a week from 7am until 5pm.