A brand new free school is being built in Belle Vue and will be run by Co-op
The Belle Vue school will launch in temporary accommodation before moving to the new building in September 2023, and the Department for Education and local council have selected Co-Op as its official operator.
The Co-Op will run a new secondary school in Belle Vue, Manchester City Council has confirmed.
The school, which will have space for 1,200 students aged 11-16, is set to open in temporary accommodation in September 2021 – welcoming an initial set of 120 Year 7 pupils.
A fresh intake of 11-year-olds will be added over successive years until full capacity is reached in every group from Year 7 to Year 11 in 2027.
The Co-Op’s Academies Trust branch already operates 26 education facilities in England – including one in North Manchester.
The Belle Vue school will open in a temporary location before moving to a new permanent building in September 2023 – with the Department for Education and local council selecting Co-Op as its official operator.
ADVERTISEMENT
Co-Op
The new school has been built to meet rising demand for places in Manchester – with the number of pupils in local schools continuing to grow.
Councillor Garry Bridges, Executive Member for Children and Schools, Manchester City Council, said: “Co-op have a good track record of operating schools in Manchester and elsewhere and it’s great news that they’re going to be at the helm of this much-needed brand new school in this part of the city.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Pupil numbers are set to continue to rise across Manchester and we’re already working closely with schools and others on this, and have detailed plans in place to ensure we have the right number of places in the right locations to meet this growing demand.
“Our children and young people deserve the best education, delivered in the best buildings, and this is what we’re determined to ensure they get.”
The Co-op Academies Trust wants to make the new facility ‘environmentally friendly’ – with plans to involve pupils in the design of the building.
ADVERTISEMENT
Chris Tomlinson, CEO of Co-op Academies Trust, said: “We’re determined to create a school that will be a beacon of both educational and environmental standards.
“We’re a vibrant Trust that provides an engaging, inspiring and innovative curriculum, underpinned by Co-op values and principles, that equips young people with the skills, knowledge, understanding and qualifications they need to make a success of their lives.
“Inspired by the Co-op’s 1 Angel Square in central Manchester, which is one of the greenest offices in the world, we want to engage local year 5 and 6 pupils in the design of the new school and explore with them what environmentally responsible elements can be incorporated into it.”
Family pays tribute to ‘much-loved son’ who died after Wigan bus crash
Daisy Jackson
The family of a man who died in a tragic bus crash in Wigan have paid a moving tribute to him.
Luke Hill, 28, was involved in a collision between a bus and a motorbike earlier this month, and sadly passed away in hospital the following morning.
The incident occurred on the Wigan Road junction of Alexandra Road, at around 11.54pm on Thursday 6 August – and GMP are still appealing for members of the public to come forward with CCTV, dashcam, or information.
The driver of the bus remained at the scene following the crash, and continues to support police with their investigation.
Paying tribute to Luke, his family described him as a ‘rock and much-loved part of the family’.
His mother said that living without him feels like a ‘terrible nightmare’.
Paying tribute, Luke’s mum, Sharon, has said: “Luke was my son, my rock, and a much-loved part of our family. There are simply no words to describe the pain of losing a son, especially in such a tragic way.
“It still doesn’t feel real. I keep expecting this terrible nightmare to end and for you to be here with us again.
“Luke was a beloved son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. He meant so much to so many people, and he will be deeply missed by all his family and friends.
“We miss you more than words could ever say. The pain of losing you is something we will carry with us forever, but so will the love and memories you gave us.
“The whole family is deeply saddened by this heartbreaking loss. We kindly ask that everyone respects our privacy and allows us the time and space we need to grieve.
“You will never be forgotten, Luke.
“We love you and miss you so much.”
Officers are continuing to appeal for any witnesses who may have seen the moments leading up to this incident, or anyone who has mobile phone or dash cam footage, to come forward and assist the investigation.
Anyone with information can contact police via 0161 856 4741 or our Live Chat at gmp.police.uk, quoting the log number 4225 of 06/08/2026.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Government issues UK-wide temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk
Emily Sergeant
A temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues has been issued nationwide.
Following the UK’s fourth heatwave of the summer, and as many regions declare drought conditions, the Government has made the decision to issue a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk.
A disposable barbecue is defined as a fuel tray or grill grid that includes charcoal fuel ‘sufficient to provide cooking temperature for the duration of a single cooking episode’.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the UK as a ‘tinderbox’ and urged ‘all retailers big and small’ to withdraw the sale of disposable barbecues to prevent further wildfires, but following the shocking scenes in Stourbridge which raged overnight, it appears this has been escalated to a formal temporary ban.
The ban applies to all producers and distributors of the product – including retailers that make disposable barbecues available on the British market – and includes online sales too.
A Government statement reads: “During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the Government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.
“They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.
“These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks.”