Nostalgia and the noughties are having quite the moment right now, and let’s be honest, nothing says Y2K quite like spending your Friday night in a Blockbuster.
Since the closure of the popular video-rental chain in 2014, there’s famously been just one left in the world in Bend, Oregon. Until now, that is (well, sort of).
Due to open on Manchester’s Oldham Street later this month, Blockbusters NQ will pay homage to the glory days of video rental with a new video shop-themed bar.
Image: Supplied
It comes from the owners of Chakalaka, the Northern Quarter’s South African bar and restaurant, which sits just across the road from the new space.
Decked out in the Blockbuster’s signature yellow and blue colour scheme, just like the real thing its walls are covered in video cassettes and old TVs playing cult classics, with a stereo belting out soundtracks from decades past for the ultimate nostalgia trip.
ADVERTISEMENT
Split across two floors, its main floor is modelled on the classic Blockbuster store set up and even includes a ‘naughty films’ section hidden at the back.
Downstairs, meanwhile, black walls, velvet chairs, and a sparkly stage for performances lend a cinematic feel to the bar’s entertainment space.
ADVERTISEMENT
Image: Supplied
Drinks-wise, cocktails include the VHS’presso martini (garnished with a VHS-style liquorice swirl), a G&T with a pomegranate twist (amusingly called the PG &T) and the Alcopop-corn cocktail, a creamy and sweet popcorn inspired drink.
Blockbusters NQ will also serve popcorn in quirky flavours like roast chicken and beef burger.
Speaking on the new opening, owner Stewart Dean said: “I truly wanted to make somewhere special that people get excited by.
ADVERTISEMENT
“I was a huge fan of video stores and my favourite bars are those that immerse you in a secret or provide a bit of an escape.
Image: Supplied
“I thought what better homage to an iconic part of our history than to create a parody of Blockbuster, one where you can drink, and the only returns here are for another hit of fun and nostalgia.”
A message on the bar’s website adds: “F*ck the future. Back in the day Blockbuster was everywhere.
“We miss it and we think it’s about time the brand made a return – one where you can drink, and the only returns here are for another hit of fun and nostalgia.
“Blockbusters NQ is not the best ‘streaming’ service, but we are the best ‘get you steaming’ service. We have a modern list of cocktails and a casual and friendly atmosphere. We are here to stay well into the future so be kind and rewind with us.”
Blockbusters NQ is set to open on 27 May in Manchester’s Northern Quarter. To keep up with its progress ahead of the opening date, follow the bar on Instagram here.
Feature image – Instagram / supplied
News
Hundreds of staff to strike at four Greater Manchester hospitals next week
Emily Sergeant
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week.
More than 350 Northern Care Alliance Foundation Trust (NCA) employees – including nurses, clinical support workers and housekeepers – are walking out for three days next week after union UNISON says an offer to ‘resolve’ a dispute was withdrawn before discussions could take place.
According to the union, the dispute centres on the NCA’s use of an outside agency called NHS Professionals (NHSP) to manage overtime.
When covering staff shortages, workers are entitled to time-and-a-half pay – however in some cases, staff earn less than they would on a normal shift, and some have even been missing out on more than £80 per shift, the union added.
Operating theatre staff were previously on picket lines in June, and although an option to resolve the row was initially tabled by NCA bosses, this has now fallen through.
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week / Credit: Stephen Andrews (via Unsplash)
This means that staff at Salford Royal Hospital, Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary, and Fairfield Hospital in Bury are walking out next week on Monday 24, Wednesday 26, and Friday 28 August.
In particular, staff from all four sites will also gather in Salford on Wednesday (26 August) for a ‘unified’ day of protest.
Understandably, some disruption is expected at each of the hospitals on strike days.
“Those at the top of NCA have shown a lack of leadership and made their disregard for their staff clear,” explained UNISON North West regional organiser, Kevin Dolan.
“A deal was put on the table but taken away before we had chance to talk it over. We are ready to continue negotiations, but it’s obvious NCA has no intention of resolving this.
“This isn’t complicated. Staff are simply asking for what their contract says they’re entitled to. Nothing more.”
Featured Image – Pxhere
News
Wetherspoons introduces new phone rule at all UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’
Emily Sergeant
JD Wetherspoon has announced a major new phone rule in all its sites across the UK after customers complain of being ‘driven nuts’.
The pub chain – which has nearly 800 branches across the UK – announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise – with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an ‘increasing problem’ in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be ‘an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation’.
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’ / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: “Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones.”
Tim Martin added: “In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Wetherspoon’s ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for ‘headphone dodgers’ who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon’s ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.