Since opening inside The Old Grapes just a couple of months ago, Schofield’s Bar has become one of the city’s most in-demand drinking spots. Now, the brothers behind it are about to open their second – this time on Deansgate Square.
It will be one of two new restaurants and bars coming to Deansgate Square this summer.
Called ATOMECA, the award-winning brothers’ new riverside bar will feature carefully curated cocktails and an extensive wine list put together by their partner, James Brandwood.
Fronting onto the River Medlock with both indoor and outdoor seating, it will serve tea, coffee and locally baked pastries in the morning, before switching to tapas-style plates in the evening and afternoon.
It will be joined by Mule, a new coffee and brunch spot that’s just opened its first venue on Ancoats’ Blossom Street.
ADVERTISEMENT
Schofield brothers
Mule at Deansgate Square will occupy a soaring, double height space facing into the city across The Medlock Step.
Offering everything from brunch to 3 pm cake and late-night cocktails, menu items to look out for here include the buttermilk brioche chicken burger and pistachio mai tai.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Mule at Deansgate Square is set to be the city’s most vibrant spot with a timeless appeal.,” said a spokesperson for the restaurant.
“Using magical lighting, curved walls, woody aromas and eclectic fabrics, we’ve created a space that will transport you from the Manchester curbside into a dreamy Utah sunset.”
The two new bars and restaurants are the latest additions to join Manchester’s coolest corner shop, General Stores, at the base of Deansgate’s new towering skyscraper development.
ADVERTISEMENT
“We are delighted to welcome Mule and ATOMECA to Deansgate Square, further diversifying its offering for our residents as well as the wider community,” said Rob Codling, Senior Fund Manager, LGIM Real Assets.
ATOMECA will be the first to open its doors to the public on 21st May, 2021, followed by Mule at a date still TBC later this summer.
News
Hundreds of staff to strike at four Greater Manchester hospitals next week
Emily Sergeant
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week.
More than 350 Northern Care Alliance Foundation Trust (NCA) employees – including nurses, clinical support workers and housekeepers – are walking out for three days next week after union UNISON says an offer to ‘resolve’ a dispute was withdrawn before discussions could take place.
According to the union, the dispute centres on the NCA’s use of an outside agency called NHS Professionals (NHSP) to manage overtime.
When covering staff shortages, workers are entitled to time-and-a-half pay – however in some cases, staff earn less than they would on a normal shift, and some have even been missing out on more than £80 per shift, the union added.
Operating theatre staff were previously on picket lines in June, and although an option to resolve the row was initially tabled by NCA bosses, this has now fallen through.
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week / Credit: Stephen Andrews (via Unsplash)
This means that staff at Salford Royal Hospital, Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary, and Fairfield Hospital in Bury are walking out next week on Monday 24, Wednesday 26, and Friday 28 August.
In particular, staff from all four sites will also gather in Salford on Wednesday (26 August) for a ‘unified’ day of protest.
Understandably, some disruption is expected at each of the hospitals on strike days.
“Those at the top of NCA have shown a lack of leadership and made their disregard for their staff clear,” explained UNISON North West regional organiser, Kevin Dolan.
“A deal was put on the table but taken away before we had chance to talk it over. We are ready to continue negotiations, but it’s obvious NCA has no intention of resolving this.
“This isn’t complicated. Staff are simply asking for what their contract says they’re entitled to. Nothing more.”
Featured Image – Pxhere
News
Wetherspoons introduces new phone rule at all UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’
Emily Sergeant
JD Wetherspoon has announced a major new phone rule in all its sites across the UK after customers complain of being ‘driven nuts’.
The pub chain – which has nearly 800 branches across the UK – announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise – with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an ‘increasing problem’ in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be ‘an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation’.
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’ / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: “Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones.”
Tim Martin added: “In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Wetherspoon’s ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for ‘headphone dodgers’ who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon’s ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.