Ukrainian authorities have found the body of missing man Daniel Burke, a month after he was reported missing.
Daniel, from Wythehawe, was a former paratrooper in the British Army who had travelled to Ukraine to help in the war.
The 36-year-old was reported missing by his family on 16 August, who have been desperately waiting for answers.
And now tragically, Ukranian authorities have confirmed that his body has been found.
Greater Manchester Police are now working with his family and the Ukrainian authorities to support the identification of Daniel and bring him back home.
ADVERTISEMENT
His family said his body was found in Zaporizhzhia, which is about 44km from the front line.
Detective Superintendent Lewis Hughes who is GMP’s Lead for Disaster Victim Identification said: “This is an upsetting time for Daniel’s family, we have Family Liaison Officers in contact with the family and offering support.
ADVERTISEMENT
“My team and I are working with the Ukrainian authorities to make formal identification with a view to repatriating Daniel following that process.
“Daniel’s family have asked for privacy at this difficult time.”
Arrests made following Piccadilly Gardens fight that left several men with stab wounds
Emily Sergeant
A number of arrests have been made following reports of a fight in Piccadilly Gardens one night earlier this week.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) confirmed that officers from the City Centre policing team responded to reports of a fight in Piccadilly Gardens at around 9:54pm on Tuesday (19 May 2026), and when they arrived at the scene, they discovered multiple people with stab wounds.
A man in his 20s was found at the scene by police with stab wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment.
A second man, in his 50s, was located nearby with a stab wound to his arm and was also taken to hospital, and a third man, also in his 20s, later attended Manchester Royal Infirmary with a stab wound to his back.
All three men have been arrested on suspicion of affray, GMP stated.
Officers do not believe there to be a wider threat to the public at this time, however the public is being told there will be an ‘increased police presence’ in the area as a precaution.
As enquiries continue at pace, detectives from the City of Manchester CID team are now appealing for information and witnesses.
“The use of knives or violence in our communities is completely unacceptable,” commented Detective Superintendent Ian McNabb, of GMP’s City of Manchester Central District. “Incidents like this are incredibly serious and can have devastating consequences.
“Our officers are working tirelessly in the city centre and across Greater Manchester to tackle this kind of offending and keep people safe.
“We will be relentless in our efforts to remove knives from our streets and to bring those who carry or use them to justice to prevent incidents like this happening.”
Can you help? Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101, or via LiveChat online, quoting log 3667 of 19/05/2026.
Featured Image – GMP
News
Teams and fixture date confirmed for first-ever regular season NBA game in Manchester
Danny Jones
In another major coup for Manchester, the NBA is coming to our shores for just the second time in our history, and now the teams set to take part have finally been announced.
Having only been played in the UK on a relative handful of occasions, this is nothing short of a massive milestone for the city.
Last crossing the pond back in 2019, the NBA has only visited 0161 once before over a decade ago at the old AO Arena, and there’s only been a total of 19 transatlantic meetings up until now.
As if that wasn’t exciting enough, being confirmed as part of the NBA’s new European slate, Manchester is also set to be one of the first venues in the UK to ever host a regular-season game outside of the United States. Massive. Here’s who’s playing and when:
NBA Europe managed to secure a three-year programme of fixtures that will feature as part of the league’s normal competitive season in late 2025.
As you can see, kicking off next year and running until 2028 at the very least, the current deal will see the much-loved sport watched worldwide first land on the continent for a pair of games next year in Berlin and London, before heading to Paris and our very own Manchester in Q1.
Florida’s Orlando Magic and Tennessee’s Memphis Grizzlies had already been announced for the first two games last July, and now the San Antonio Spurs and New Orleans Pelicans are set to face off for the Manc meeting.
With Basketball England being officially headquartered within the wider Etihad Campus, there was no question that the Manchester NBA fixture was going to be held at Co-op Live.
As well as being not just the biggest indoor entertainment venue of its kind in England but all of Europe, the arena has also recently welcomed the likes of the UFC, WWE and multiple boxing bouts, proving it can serve as the perfect host for premier live sporting action on a global scale.
In addition to the matches themselves, the Spurs and Pelicans will also be holding various fan activities and events within the region as part of the NBA Cares social impact programming initiative, with a focus on health, wellness, sustainability and coaching, as well as both player and even referee development.
NEW ORLEANS PELICANS AND SAN ANTONIO SPURS TO PLAY REGULAR-SEASON GAMES IN PARIS AND MANCHESTER IN 2027
Spurs and Pelicans to Face Off on Jan. 14 in Paris and Jan. 17 in Manchester
The NBA today announced that the New Orleans Pelicans and the San Antonio Spurs will play… pic.twitter.com/S80Yl102Fg
Speaking on the seismic news last summer, the leader of Manchester City Council and representative for Burnage, Bev Craig, could only echo how big a deal this is for the region.
“Manchester once again has shown what a magnificent draw it is for major events, and we are thrilled to welcome the NBA back to our city”, she said. “This city is known for big names, big games and a reputation for showcasing world-class events on the biggest stage possible.
“With a growing basketball scene in Manchester, this event feels like the perfect fit and will give so many people in our city the chance to see what the best athletes in the sport can do on our home turf.
“When it comes to delivering world-class events, we know that Manchester is now firmly on the map. Now, working with our partners, we want to continue driving investment towards our city, creating new jobs, increasing growth and providing new opportunities and experiences for all of our residents.”
You can register your interest for tickets to see Spurs vs Pelicans in a proper competitive NBA regular season round right at the Co-op Live in Manchester, right HERE; remember, you can always spring for the discounted posh seats, as well.