It’s the “world famous” market that gives Mancunians so much pride. Over five hundred years old, it’s legendary in the north west and has just been crowned Britain’s Favourite Market once again, taking home the gong for the second time running.
Yes, we’re talking about Bury Market – home to everything from local food producers selling black pudding and Eccles cakes to traders flogging electrical goods, clothes, footwear and more every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
Judges at the Great British Market Awards 2022 officially presented Bury Market operators with their trophy last week at an awards ceremony held in Birmingham at the end of last week.
It's been a day of celebration here on Bury Market, off the back of our award win yesterday! 🥳
The stallholders are buzzing with Bury being named Britain's Favourite Market, and who can blame them?!
Councillor Charlotte Morris, cabinet member for culture and the economy, said: “We’re thrilled that Bury Market has won yet another national award, this one decided by the people who visit it, as we did in 2019.
“It’s a fitting reward for the traders, who make the market the wonderful place it is and ensure that our many thousands of visitors have a great day out and pick up bargains galore.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Bury Market is truly the town’s ‘jewel in the crown’, and this latest award shows just how popular the market is with people across the length and breadth of the country.”
Bury Market was granted its charter in the 1440s and now attracts millions of visitors every year and thousands of coaches from across the country. It boasts 370 stalls on its three sites – the Market Hall, Outdoor Market, and the Fish and Meat Hall.
ADVERTISEMENT
Local traders are over the moon to be crowned Britain’s favourite market once again. / Image: Bury Market via Twitter
And plans are well underway to make the market even better. Bury has won £20 million from the Levelling Up Fund, which will transform the market area and include a new flexi-hall.
This state-of-the-art, carbon-neutral, multifunctional events space will support market stalls, ‘pop-up’ trading, live performance, and community events.
Councillor Eamonn O’Brien, leader of the council, said: “This investment, plus nearly £5 million more from Bury Council, will bring regeneration and prosperity both to the market and the wider town centre area.
ADVERTISEMENT
Bury is famous for its black pudding and you’ll find a number of stall selling the blood pudding delicacy here. / Image: Geograph
“We are determined to have the best of both worlds – to keep all that is great about our historic traditional market, while making sure we adapt to the challenges posed by the rise in online shopping and customers’ changing preferences.”
The awards were presented by Simon Baynes MP, chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Markets Group.
Feature image – Bury Market via Twitter
News
Manchester United and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE
Danny Jones
Man United Women and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE after collecting the award this week.
The Greater Mancunian has grown to become one of the most influential female players of the modern era, and now her impact has been immortalised by the monarchy.
Being recognised for services to the discipline on Tuesday, 19 May, the local athlete finally collected her accolade at Windsor Castle.
Presented to her by Prince William, the Tyldesley-born attacker said in a statement: “It’s been amazing. It’s a bit of a pinch-me moment to be here and be honoured with an MBE.
“I never thought when I started out playing football I’d now be called Ella Toone MBE, so it’s a bit crazy.”
Having suffered a tough time out with injury, the 26-year-old also insists she is now back feeling “better and stronger than ever.”
With Sarina Wiegman’s official squad selection for the qualifiers ahead of FIFA’s 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil, she’s also looking forward to reuniting with her England teammates.
Here she is talking to Sky ahead of the games, not long after receiving the award:
"I've missed it so much, can't wait to be back with the girls" 🏴
Ella Toone is looking forward to meeting up with her England teammates next month for World Cup qualifiers against Spain and Ukraine. pic.twitter.com/K02nJbSkE0
Speaking back in December, she confessed that it’s all been “a bit mad” for her ever since she learned of the news, but her worthiness speaks for itself.
Winning not only back-to-back Euros titles with the national side, along with the first-ever UEFA Women’s Finalissima trophy in 2023, but also inspiring young kids dreaming of becoming footballers across the country and beyond.
Congratulations once again, ‘Tooney’ – beyond well-deserved.
Across the city, it’s great to see yet more groundbreaking investment in the women’s game being made for generations to come.
Poignant plans to mark ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack announced
Emily Sergeant
Manchester City Council has announced its plans to mark the ninth anniversary of the Manchester Arena attack.
This Friday 22 May 2026, it will be exactly eight years since a terror attack saw 22 people tragically lose their lives, and left thousands more injured and affected, during a bombing at the end of an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena back in 2017.
Every year, the city of Manchester comes together and joins the rest of the world in marking the day and remembering those who went to a concert and never returned home.
As has been the case for the past few years since it opened to the public, the focal point for this year’s personal remembrance and reflection will be the permanent Glade of Light memorial, near Manchester Cathedral.
The new Lord Mayor of Manchester, Cllr Shaukat Ali,, Manchester City Council Leader, Cllr Bev Craig, and Council Chief Executive, Tom Stannard, will each lay floral tributes at the memorial on behalf of the people of the city in memory of those who lost their lives.
The names of those who sadly died will also be read out on 22 May during services at Manchester Cathedral – firstly at 9am (Morning Prayers), then at 1:10pm (Holy Communion), and finally at 5:30pm (Choral Evensong).
The Cathedral will also be open throughout the day for those who wish to light a candle or pray.
Poignant plans to mark the ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack have been announced / Credit: The Manc Group | David Dixon (via Geograph)
Two one-minute silences will take place at Manchester Victoria station during the day too – one at 12 noon, and then one at and 10:31pm, which is the exact anniversary of the attack.
“Manchester will never forget those who lost their lives in the 22 May 2017 terror attack, nor the many others who were injured or otherwise affected,” Cllr Bev Craig said ahead of the plans to formally mark the anniversary this Friday.
“Time passes but we will not allow their memories to fade.
“On the ninth anniversary of that terrible day, we also remember the remarkable solidarity shown by the city in refusing to give in to hatred, and the resilience and courage shown by the loved ones of those who were killed and by survivors.”