With all the recent pandemonium, Chester Zoo staff had almost forgotten they had a birthday coming up.
The UK’s biggest charity zoo turned 89-years-old on Wednesday, but instead of ordering cake and party decorations, employees were busy frantically trying to find ways to keep the venue alive.
It was a birthday that almost didn’t happen. But now it’s one they won’t ever forget it.
June 10 will forever be the date Chester Zoo was saved by the skin of its teeth.
“Our birthday really crept up on us this year, because we were so busy thinking about whether we were going to survive,” Chester Zoo COO Jamie Christon tells The Manc.
ADVERTISEMENT
“We were worried it was going to be our last birthday ever.”
The UK’s biggest charity zoo had originally been instructed to remain closed “indefinitely” due to the coronavirus pandemic, leaving the zoo “fearing for their future.”
This led to the launch of the #SaveOurZoo appeal, which asked the public to help raise a whopping 1.6 million per month to maintain running costs.
This surge of support coincided with a dramatic government u-turn – and this week, Chester Zoo was given the green light to welcome back guests from 15 June.
“When social distancing eases, we’ll take the opportunity to celebrate,” Jamie says.
“Perhaps next year when it’s our 90th birthday.”
“We’re absolutely bowled over by the fact the government has changed its mind.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Up until earlier this week, the messages suggested it could be July, August, September or even October before we could reopen – which would have been catastrophic for us.”
But the hard work hasn’t stopped yet. There’s plenty more to do. And things will be a little different around the zoo to start with.
“For us, the main thing is controlling capacity and numbers coming into the zoo,” Jamie explains.
“Normally on a day like today we’d be welcoming about 10,000 people into the zoo. We’re going to scale the capacity right back to 3,000 to start with and guests will need to book online.
“There’ll be hand sanitiser stations around the zoo, over one hundred wash basins to keep hands clean, and a welcome team in place to make sure people are adhering to guidelines and protecting themselves, as well making sure they’re having a great day out.
ADVERTISEMENT
“The indoor exhibits will be closed, but there’ll still be more than 16km of footpath and beautiful gardens for people to walk around and see all the animals out in their respective habitats.”
Despite the limitations, Jamie emphasises the zoo is still ready to offer people a fantastic visitor experience.
“The priority for us is making sure our visitors, our staff and our animals are all safe,” he says.
“The gift shop at the front of the zoo will have to remain closed, but kiosks will be serving and we’ve got a large outdoor 400-seater restaurant which will be open too.
“People will still be able to buy food and drink or bring their own picnic in. We’ve opened some additional green space around the zoo to allow people to spread out and enjoy their lunch whilst they’re here.”
ADVERTISEMENT
However, with funds severely depleted after months of no income, Chester Zoo is still relying on support from anyone who can provide it.
“Even though we’re reopening, we’re only set to bring in a quarter of what we usually would around this time of year,” explains Jamie.
“So, there is a need for more fundraising.
“We’re asking people to donate, take out a membership at the zoo, adopt an animal; anything like that would really help us.
“To anyone who has already donated, our message is a massive ‘thank you’.
“We don’t get funding normally, so we’ve just had to continue with the reserves we’ve got. Without those pounds that people have been giving us, we might have disappeared.
ADVERTISEMENT
“As it stands, we have a lifeline.”
Chester Zoo staff won’t be the only ones happy to see guests returning, either.
The animals will, too
“Some of the more social species such as primates have been aware of a lack of people,” Jamie tells us.
“When I’ve been walking around the zoo they tend to come to the edge of the habitat and wonder what you’re doing.
ADVERTISEMENT
“I’m sure some of them have missed interacting with people.
“We’re never going to give up on animal welfare or high standards.
“We’ve got about 600 staff here at Chester Zoo, about two-thirds have been furloughed and the ones who’ve remained are primarily our keeping staff who make sure all 35,000 animals here are well looked after – as is our huge plant collection.
“Even though the gates are closed and we haven’t been making any income, we’ve still been doing the same as we always do.”
David Dixon / Geograph
Finally, Jamie wants to extend his gratitude to everyone who has done their bit to protect the zoo from extinction.
ADVERTISEMENT
“It’s been people power that’s convinced the government to let us open again,” the zoo COO says.
“It’s all down to those people who have written to their MPs, signed petitions, donated to us who’ve shown there’s huge love for us – and other zoos in the UK.
“We’re not a sector that can stay shut.
“We’re doing great things for conservation around the world and that needs to continue.”
You can learn more about supporting Chester Zoo here.
News
Kevin De Bruyne confirms he is leaving Manchester City
Danny Jones
One of the Premier League’s best-ever players and a true Manchester City legend, Kevin De Bruyne, has confirmed he will soon be leaving the club.
Announced in a series of emotional social media posts on Friday, 4 April, the brilliant Belgian footballer will be calling time on his career at the Etihad Stadium come the end of this season.
Having spent a decade in the iconic blue of Man City, De Bruyne will undoubtedly go down as one of their all-time greats, having helped them to their first Champions League trophy during the Treble-winning year and a record four consecutive Premier League titles – of which he’s won six in total.
As you can see in the lengthy message shared on his social media, ‘King Kev’ informed City supporters that this current campaign will be his last in their colours, writing: “Every story comes to an end, but this has definitely been the best chapter.”
The 33-year-old, who has suffered from increasing injury problems over the last couple of years, goes on to say that “Nothing about this is easy to write, but as football players we all know this day eventually come. That day is here – and you deserve to hear it from me first.”
In what is clearly a heartfelt and just as difficult a post for him to write as it is for fans to hear, he added: Football led me to all of you – and this city […] This will always be our HOME.”
Blues all over Greater Manchester and beyond will be heartbroken, but many won’t be completely shocked given his in-and-out
It’s a sad day to be a Cityzen, no doubt.
Speaking in the pre-match press conference ahead of the Manchester derby, manager Pep Guardiola said: “In the Premier League, he is one of the greatest midfielders in this country and top of the Club. Great, if not the greatest.
Manchester City will bid an emotional farewell to Kevin De Bruyne this summer when his contract expires, bringing an end to a glittering 10-year period at the Club 🩵
Although his talent will never come into question, it’s no secret that he’s struggled to stay fit and be as prolific a creator in Guardiola‘s side – though this is largely in contrast to his ridiculously high levels and just how much of a talisman he has been over the past 10 years.
Starting just 19 matches this season, he’s still managed to score four goals and register seven assists, but a recurring hamstring problem has seen game time limited.
Regardless, when he’s at his best, there’s no question about it: he’s the best player in the Premier League, and the club have promised to pay fitting tributes to their generational number 17.
With 106 goals to his name in 413 appearances – the first midfielder since Colin Bell to reach over a century – across all competitions for City, not to mention 118 assists in the Premier League alone, he’s been one of the most creative and, frankly, ingenious players on the planet for more than a decade.
Whether you’re a Blue, a Red or otherwise, no one can deny the joy of watching him play football. Thanks for the memories, KdB.
Featured Images — Brad Tutterow (via Flickr)/soccer.ru (via WikiCommons) Kevin De Bruyne (via X)
News
Prestwich’s regeneration plans take another step forward
Danny Jones
The regeneration plans being put forward for Prestwich have taken another step forward as a construction company has new been appointed to bring the vision of a new village centre to life.
With full planning permission for phase one of the redevelopment granted back in July 2024, it’s been pretty much full speed ahead on lining up one of Greater Manchester’s latest regeneration projects and adding more to what is already one of its best up-and-coming suburbs.
Prestwich Village Regeneration LLP are pumping over £100 million into developing the main square, and with Chroma Consulting having now passed on the baton to those erecting this new-look town centre, the joint venture between Bury Council and national ‘place maker’ Muse, work can soon begin.
You can see one of the first early renders down below:
CGIs of the new space around the Longfield Centre. (Credit: Supplied)
VINCI Building were officially appointed as construction partners last month, and with enabling works (surveys, ground investigations and so forth) now complete, the contractors are expected to get underway soon.
Additions to the vibrant new village centre will include a multi-storey Travel Hub, which will also see 301 new parking spaces, along with electric vehicle charging points, cycle storage and a car club. This will replace the Fairfax Road car park, which closed when the early stage began last December.
Beyond this, the Prestwich regeneration plans are set to include a community hub, library and flexible community space for arts and cultural events, a new Prestwich Health Centre; a fresh village square with ‘family-friendly social places’ and room for open-air markets, festivals and more.
A dedicated Prestwich Village Market hall will be the perfect place to house local retailers as well as food and drink vendors, not to mention a much better entry point into the village courtesy of plans to transform the “arrival experience from the tram” by integrating with surrounding green spaces.
Speaking of which, there will also be extensive landscaping in and around the village centre, with the existing fountain set to be removed and new public art installations created in its place.
A glimpse at the new Prestwich Village Market.An overview of all three phases.Credit: Supplied
Beyond the public spaces, over 200 new homes – which made up a big part of the initial application – are also included in the wider vision, with a mix of affordable housing and FTB (first-time buyers) properties.
Leader of Bury Council, Eamonn O’Brien, said of the latest developments: “We are thrilled to announce the next stage in this multi-million pound transformational regeneration scheme, which marks a significant step towards revitalising the heart of Prestwich Village and creating a vibrant, sustainable future for all.
“As well as enhancing local infrastructure, our ambitious plans will foster economic growth and improve the quality of life for the whole community.” A final completion date is yet to be confirmed, but work on the Travel Hub specifically is set to carry over into next year.
Exciting times are ahead for Prestwich. It’s not the only borough making plans for the next chapter and set for a bit of TLC.