A group of environmental activists have been deflating the tyres on vehicles across Greater Manchester in a protest against ‘gas guzzlers’.
Residents in West Didsbury woke up yesterday morning to find that their cars had been deliberately rendered undriveable.
Notes were left on windshields from a group that calls themselves The Tyre Extinguishers.
The group says that large cars, such as SUVs and 4x4s, are ‘a disaster for our climate’ and describes them as ‘unnecessary and pure vanity’.
They have also targeted the more planet-friendly electric and hybrid cars, saying they are ‘still polluting, dangerous and cause congestion’.
ADVERTISEMENT
The notes read: “We have deflated one or more of your tyres. You’ll be angry, but don’t take it personally. It’s not you, it’s your car.”
Deflated tyres in West Didsbury. Credit: Supplied
It went on to say: “You will have no difficulty getting around without your gas guzzler, with walking, cycling or public transport.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Those who have been affected by the movement have blasted it as ‘ridiculous, irresponsible and so dangerous’.
The Tyre Extinguishers have been criticised for their ‘narrow-minded’ approach, which indiscriminately targets large vehicles without considering their use.
Several people whose businesses rely on their cars have been left stranded, and others have pointed out the consequences if there were an emergency.
ADVERTISEMENT
The notes left by The Tyre Extinguishers. Credit: Fran Cruse
Fran Cruse, director of local business FC Comms, said that several cars along her road were targeted this week.
She spotted the flyer on her car when she was heading out to catch a tram at around 6am.
She said: “Our neighbour’s tyres were completely flat, and that’s just a normal car – it’s not even an SUV or a 4×4.
“My brother-in-law’s vehicle got done too, and he uses it for work. He works a manual job, he can’t just be getting on the tram with loads of building materials!
Carly Bateman also had her tyres deflated. Credit: Instagram @bodybybates_
“It’s just ridiculous, irresponsible and it’s actually so dangerous. If that flyer had fallen off our windshield, [my husband] would have got in our car and driven on the motorway with a flat tyre.
ADVERTISEMENT
“I get that cars are bad for the environment, I’m in no way disputing that, but this way of going about it isn’t getting the message across, it’s just p*ssing people off.
“There’s no regard for why people have cars. Some people have kids and need space for car seats and prams, some are carers who need to carry equipment, most people have these vehicles as a necessity.
“It’s so narrow-minded to assume otherwise.”
Tyre Extinguishers stuck last night in Didsbury, Manchester, disarming multiple SUVs.
— The Tyre Extinguishers (@T_Extinguishers) March 23, 2022
Carly Bateman, who runs the entertainment company Carmina (her team of performers pop up at events and venues across the globe), said she also left for work to find her tyres deflated.
Speaking on Instagram, she said: “Now I understand the point of the message. I do care very much about climate change, which is why I’m getting the tram, which is why I don’t eat meat. I don’t really eat much dairy.
ADVERTISEMENT
“So I care about s**t and I’m doing my f***ing bit.
“But I have a 4×4 car because I run an entertainment company and I’m 5’2” and I can’t carry everything!
“Like don’t get me wrong, I get the point and I get there’s a lot that needs to be done for climate change.
“But don’t you think that’s really irresponsible? In terms of, like, you don’t know whose tyre you’re letting down.
ADVERTISEMENT
“It could send someone into a panic attack. If there was an emergency and I needed the car and then my thing’s gone and it delays things. What if I was pregnant and going into labour?
“Like find something else to do. And pick on the right people. I’m doing my f***ing bit.”
Featured image: Carly Bateman
News
Beloved plant-based independent street food business Herbivorous is set to close imminently
Danny Jones
We hate writing this, but we have news of yet another local hospitality closure as beloved Manchester-born and pioneering plant-based brand Herbivorous has confirmed they’ll soon be calling it a day.
If you can hear us sighing through the screen, apologies – we’re just getting really fed up of saying farewell to our favourites, so god knows how rubbish those involved feel.
As you can see, the team behind the multi-location vegan street food specialists began by writing: “It’s a long one so stay with me… It seems you can’t open social media at the moment without reading about another hospitality business closing down.
“Throughout 8 years of Herbivorous years we’ve come up against many challenges from Covid 5 years ago to watching all the big vegan brands from London and beyond come to Manchester and largely disappear again to the closure of Hatch our busiest site, but with continually increasing costs its becoming really difficult to maintain a thriving business.”
Herbivorous started out life back in 2016 as a cult hit at the old outdoor food, drink and entertainment hub centring around a ‘container village’, the first of its kind in the city and soon to reopen under new owners and a new name.
Since then, co-founders Robyn and Damian have gone on to expand not just to one permanent site over in Withington but with outposts in Sheffield and York, having gained a strong reputation with stalls and pop-ups all over.
Their hospitality story might not have the ending we personally would hope for, but it’s been a brilliant one for so many foodie fans – us lot included.
Nevertheless, they go on to add in the emotional statement that external pressures such as a recent bereavement and their own ever-growing family have also contributed to the decision which, despite being an understandably hard one, “feel like the right time.”
“We are so incredibly proud of how far we’ve come from spending long days slinging duck wraps from our green vintage horse box at festivals to three Herbi locations across the North of England”, they continue, “and with that we’ve also met so many fantastic people!”
“Whether you worked for us at a few festivals over [the] summer or for years at our restaurant, we just wanted to say and massive thank you! The memories will stay with us forever and, of course, how can we not mention our fabulous customers!
“Thank you all so much for choosing Herbivorous over the years. Those of you who had our food at Festivals and then found us at one of our permanent locations, those of you who came back week after week to Hatch, Spark, Withington and beyond.”
They signed off by detailing their final business days, with their Sheffield Kommune spot having already shut for refurbishment; meanwhile, their spot in SPARK York will be wrapping up on Saturday, 19 April.
As for their flagship brick-and-mortar venue here in Greater Manchester, Herbivorous Withington will be shutting on Friday, 25 April.
Once again, there’s nothing we can say other than thank you for years of delicious food, that we’re guttted to see you go, and that everyone at The Manc Group wishes you the best whatever comes next.
AJ Tracey is playing a VERY intimate gig in Manchester next month
Thomas Melia
London rapper and respected grime artist AJ Tracey is ‘live and direct’ once again, announcing a whole host of UK dates, one of which is a rather intimate gig right here in Manchester.
It’s official: one of UK rap’s leading gents is getting back on the road and he’s showing a ‘Little More Love’ to lots of cities, including Manchester.
In a post on the UK star’s socials, AJ Tracey trades his music persona for that of a sports pundit as he announces the dates for his upcoming tour while impersonating an F1 commentator.
Anyone looking to attend Tracey’s ‘Not Even A Tour’ can catch the star up and down the country on his over 20-date tour with a stop in Manchester as soon as this month.
The rapper has reached phenomenal heights since dropping the unforgettable ‘Ladbroke Grove’ in 2019 and is heading out across the nation to make sure everyone knows about it.
Get ready to spit bars left and right as this rapper’s discography is stacked with serious tunes like ‘Dinner Guest’, ‘West Ten’, ‘Thiago Silva’ and more.
More recently, he collaborated with Walsall’s finest Jorja Smith for a flirty garage beat also known as ‘Crush’ with the video being the two artists talking it out in a good old fashioned caff.
The latest collaboration with Smith marks the start of a new era for Mr. Live and direct as it fell in line with the announcement of his third studio album.
Titled Don’t Die Before You’re Dead, we’re sure he’ll be “building a vibe” wherever he goes and probably previewing a few exclusive tracks from his upcoming project too.
This gig may come as quite a surprise for any hardcore fans of the ‘Ladbroke Grove’ star as the venue in which he’s performing is definitely intimate only, holding just over 250 guests.
This rap giant is bringing his unbelievable beats to none other than the legendary small-cap city centre live music venue, The Deaf Institute, at the end of this month.
It’s safe to say you won’t get many more chances, if any, to see him in such a tight-knit space again.
AJ Tracey is bringing ‘Not Even A Tour’ to Deaf Institute in Manchester on 30 April, with tickets on sale Friday 4 April from 12 noon.