A group of environmental activists have been deflating the tyres on vehicles across Greater Manchester in a protest against ‘gas guzzlers’.
Residents in West Didsbury woke up yesterday morning to find that their cars had been deliberately rendered undriveable.
Notes were left on windshields from a group that calls themselves The Tyre Extinguishers.
The group says that large cars, such as SUVs and 4x4s, are ‘a disaster for our climate’ and describes them as ‘unnecessary and pure vanity’.
They have also targeted the more planet-friendly electric and hybrid cars, saying they are ‘still polluting, dangerous and cause congestion’.
ADVERTISEMENT
The notes read: “We have deflated one or more of your tyres. You’ll be angry, but don’t take it personally. It’s not you, it’s your car.”
Deflated tyres in West Didsbury. Credit: Supplied
It went on to say: “You will have no difficulty getting around without your gas guzzler, with walking, cycling or public transport.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Those who have been affected by the movement have blasted it as ‘ridiculous, irresponsible and so dangerous’.
The Tyre Extinguishers have been criticised for their ‘narrow-minded’ approach, which indiscriminately targets large vehicles without considering their use.
Several people whose businesses rely on their cars have been left stranded, and others have pointed out the consequences if there were an emergency.
ADVERTISEMENT
The notes left by The Tyre Extinguishers. Credit: Fran Cruse
Fran Cruse, director of local business FC Comms, said that several cars along her road were targeted this week.
She spotted the flyer on her car when she was heading out to catch a tram at around 6am.
She said: “Our neighbour’s tyres were completely flat, and that’s just a normal car – it’s not even an SUV or a 4×4.
“My brother-in-law’s vehicle got done too, and he uses it for work. He works a manual job, he can’t just be getting on the tram with loads of building materials!
Carly Bateman also had her tyres deflated. Credit: Instagram @bodybybates_
“It’s just ridiculous, irresponsible and it’s actually so dangerous. If that flyer had fallen off our windshield, [my husband] would have got in our car and driven on the motorway with a flat tyre.
ADVERTISEMENT
“I get that cars are bad for the environment, I’m in no way disputing that, but this way of going about it isn’t getting the message across, it’s just p*ssing people off.
“There’s no regard for why people have cars. Some people have kids and need space for car seats and prams, some are carers who need to carry equipment, most people have these vehicles as a necessity.
“It’s so narrow-minded to assume otherwise.”
Tyre Extinguishers stuck last night in Didsbury, Manchester, disarming multiple SUVs.
— The Tyre Extinguishers (@T_Extinguishers) March 23, 2022
Carly Bateman, who runs the entertainment company Carmina (her team of performers pop up at events and venues across the globe), said she also left for work to find her tyres deflated.
Speaking on Instagram, she said: “Now I understand the point of the message. I do care very much about climate change, which is why I’m getting the tram, which is why I don’t eat meat. I don’t really eat much dairy.
ADVERTISEMENT
“So I care about s**t and I’m doing my f***ing bit.
“But I have a 4×4 car because I run an entertainment company and I’m 5’2” and I can’t carry everything!
“Like don’t get me wrong, I get the point and I get there’s a lot that needs to be done for climate change.
“But don’t you think that’s really irresponsible? In terms of, like, you don’t know whose tyre you’re letting down.
ADVERTISEMENT
“It could send someone into a panic attack. If there was an emergency and I needed the car and then my thing’s gone and it delays things. What if I was pregnant and going into labour?
“Like find something else to do. And pick on the right people. I’m doing my f***ing bit.”
Featured image: Carly Bateman
News
UK set to be battered by storms as ‘unprecedented’ El Niño arrives this autumn
Emily Sergeant
The UK is being told to brace for a series of storms this autumn when the ‘unprecedented’ El Niño weather event arrives.
It’s already been a summer of extremes for the country, with multiple heatwaves over the past couple of months, but now it appears that autumn and winter are set to have some extremes of their own, as the Met Office is warning that this upcoming El Niño could be one of the most significant in recent memory.
El Niño is declared when sea temperatures in the tropical eastern Pacific rise 0.5°C above the long-term average, which therefore impacts global rainfall patterns and average temperatures.
The natural warming of sea temperatures is forecast to reach more than 3°C in the coming months, according to the Met Office, making this year’s weather event have the potential to be ‘the largest since the 19th century’.
The UK is set to be battered by storms as ‘unprecedented’ El Niño arrives this autumn / Credit: Johannes Plenio (via Unsplash)
El Niño will create a heightened risk of drought in the tropics, southern Africa, and north eastern Australia, but over in north western Europe – including the UK – it means we are likely to experience wetter and stormier conditions.
The UK, and of course Greater Manchester, is absolutely no stranger to a storm around this time of year, but forecasters say this could be an entirely different beast.
“We should be clear that this is an unprecedented event,” warned Professor Adam Scaife, who is the Head of Long Range Forecasting at the Met Office.
“I have never seen an El Nino signal this intense in our forecasts.”
Professor Scaife concluded: “A typical El Nino leads to an equatorial Pacific sea-surface temperature rise of between one to 2°C, with 2°C being a really big event. This implies that, if the forecast is accurate, and other forecast systems show similar extreme values, then 2026 will far exceed our recent experience of El Niño and its worldwide climate influences.’
Forecasters and officials, however, have warned that it could take months of sustained rainfall before rivers, reservoirs, and groundwaters are ‘completely replenished’ – which is when a drought can officially be declared as over.
It also warned drought conditions could persist into the new year as, despite El Niño, as current forecasts do not suggest this autumn will have the amount of rainfall needed to drive recovery.
Featured Image – Wikimedia Commons
News
Hundreds of staff to strike at four Greater Manchester hospitals next week
Emily Sergeant
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week.
More than 350 Northern Care Alliance Foundation Trust (NCA) employees – including nurses, clinical support workers and housekeepers – are walking out for three days next week after union UNISON says an offer to ‘resolve’ a dispute was withdrawn before discussions could take place.
According to the union, the dispute centres on the NCA’s use of an outside agency called NHS Professionals (NHSP) to manage overtime.
When covering staff shortages, workers are entitled to time-and-a-half pay – however in some cases, staff earn less than they would on a normal shift, and some have even been missing out on more than £80 per shift, the union added.
Operating theatre staff were previously on picket lines in June, and although an option to resolve the row was initially tabled by NCA bosses, this has now fallen through.
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week / Credit: Stephen Andrews (via Unsplash)
This means that staff at Salford Royal Hospital, Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary, and Fairfield Hospital in Bury are walking out next week on Monday 24, Wednesday 26, and Friday 28 August.
In particular, staff from all four sites will also gather in Salford on Wednesday (26 August) for a ‘unified’ day of protest.
Understandably, some disruption is expected at each of the hospitals on strike days.
“Those at the top of NCA have shown a lack of leadership and made their disregard for their staff clear,” explained UNISON North West regional organiser, Kevin Dolan.
“A deal was put on the table but taken away before we had chance to talk it over. We are ready to continue negotiations, but it’s obvious NCA has no intention of resolving this.
“This isn’t complicated. Staff are simply asking for what their contract says they’re entitled to. Nothing more.”