Fashion designer Virgil Abloh has died of cancer, aged 41.
The influential figure founded the label Off White and was artistic director of Louis Vuitton.
He passed away today, November 28, following a two-year cancer battle.
Tributes are already pouring in for the ‘genius and visionary’ designer and father of two, who has been described as ‘a man with a beautiful soul’.
Virgil ‘valiantly battled a rare, aggressive form of cancer’ in private for several years, it was announced today on his social media profiles.
ADVERTISEMENT
The statement on Virgil’s Instagram account reads: “We are devastated to announce the passing of our beloved Virgil Abloh, a fiercely devoted father, husband, son, brother, and friend.
Virgil Abloh. Credit: Wikimedia Commons.
“He is survived by his loving wife Shannon Abloh, his children Lowe Abloh and Grey Abloh, his sister Edwina Abloh, his parents Nee and Eunice Abloh, and numerous dear friends and colleagues.
ADVERTISEMENT
“For over two years, Virgil valiantly battled a rare, aggressive form of cancer, cardiac angiosarcoma. He chose to endure his battle privately since his diagnosis in 2019, undergoing numerous challenging treatments, all while helming several significant institutions that span fashion, art, and culture.
“Through it all, his work ethic, infinite curiosity, and optimism never wavered. Virgil was driven by his dedication to his craft and to his mission to open doors for others and create pathways for greater equality in art and design. He often said, “Everything I do is for the 17-year-old version of myself,” believing deeply in the power of art to inspire future generations.
“We thank you all for your love and support, and we ask for privacy as we grieve and celebrate Virgil’s life.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Virgil Abloh, September 30, 1980 – November 28, 2021”
A statement from Bernard Arnault, CEO of the LVMH group which owns Louis Vuitton, says: “We are all shocked after this terrible news.
LVMH, Louis Vuitton and Off White are devastated to announce the passing of Virgil Abloh, on Sunday, November 28th, of cancer, which he had been battling privately for several years. pic.twitter.com/CytwZLvSFu
“Virgil was not only a genius designer, a visionary, he was also a man with a beautiful soul and great wisdom.
“The LVMH family joins me in this moment of great sorrow, and we are all thinking of his loved ones after the passing of their husband, their father, their brother or their friend.”
Davide De Giglio and Andrea Grilli from New Guards Group (which owns Off White) said in a statement: “Virgil was a genius, a visionary but most of all he was family.
ADVERTISEMENT
“There are no words to describe the loss that his passing leaves in our lives. His legend, his love and his spirit will remain with us forever.
“Thank you for changing our lives, Virgil. Rest in power, brother.”
Omg I can’t believe @virgilabloh is gone. Noooo💔💔💔
Pharrell Williams posted: “My heart is broken. Virgil you were a kind, generous, thoughtful creative genius.
“Your work as a human and your work as a spiritual being will live forever.
“Sending love and light to your wife, children, family and day ones.
ADVERTISEMENT
“You’re with the Master now, shine.”
Idris Elba wrote: “Too soon Virgil. You will be missed from this world man.”
Sacha Lord has tweeted: “I am so shocked and saddened by this. It was only a few weeks ago, Virgil was playing @WHP_Mcr and he was on really good form. #RIPVirgilAbloh”
Featured image: Instagram, @virgilabloh
News
NHS urges people to book flu jabs ahead of winter as A&E attendances hit record 2.5 million
Emily Sergeant
The NHS is urging people get their flu jabs booked ahead of the upcoming season.
After A&E attendances hit a record 2.5 million in July, and staff experienced the three busiest months ever recorded between May and July in emergency departments, the NHS wants to do everything it can to ‘ease demand’ ahead of winter flu season arriving.
Flu season usually peaks in December and January, so the health service is starting to administer the vaccinations from autumn onwards to ensure fewer people are hospitalised.
Flu can cause significant issues for children, pregnant women, older adults, and people with some long-term health conditions – with issues including hospitalisation and, in certain cases, severe respiratory failure or even death.
It’s estimated that around 104,000 hospitalisations could have been avoided last year, which is why the NHS is keen to cut that number this winter.
From today, the national booking system is open for those eligible to book their flu vaccine, with appointments starting from 1 September.
Those eligible will be able to get their flu vaccination from a variety of places in their local community, including their GP practices and participating high street pharmacies.
The jab is given in injectable form in the vast majority of cases, while a nasal spray is provided for most children.
“Vaccinations play a vital role in protecting those most at risk from flu and they are also crucial for relieving pressures on our NHS over the winter months,” explained Health Secretary Yvette Cooper.
“Everyone who is eligible for a free vaccination will be notified through their phone or in the post, and the system for booking appointments is now open. Together, we can save lives, support the most vulnerable, and ensure our NHS is there for everyone who needs it this winter.”
The national booking system is now open so that eligible people – including pregnant women and children – can pre-book their flu vaccinations when appointments start on 1 September.
Manchester City Council approves petition calling for Market Street to be less of a ‘sensory overload’
Daisy Jackson
A petition has been launched calling on Manchester City Council to review the management of Market Street, hoping to make it ‘more peaceful’ and less of a ‘sensory overload’.
All Mancs know that a walk down Market Street is no easy undertaking – it’s a hugely busy shopping street and pedestrian thoroughfare, often populated by buskers, street performers, charity fundraisers, and roving stalls.
One does not simply ‘pop to the shops’ in Manchester city centre. Instead, we pinball our way along the street which often feels like an urban obstacle course.
And now, an online petition has been launched and approved by Manchester City Council, calling for the street’s management (and that of Piccadilly Gardens) to be reviewed.
The petition calls on the council to assess ‘the cumulative effect of these activities, including excessive noise, sensory overload, obstruction, and difficulty navigating the city centre’.
And while it is ‘not directed at any particular group of people, business, political belief, charity, religion, or organisation’, the petition organisers believe that the large number of organised street solicitation, amplified sound, gazebos and stalls, and organised gatherings, are all significantly impacting pedestrian movement.
“These spaces should remain accessible, comfortable, safe, and easy to navigate for everyone,” the petition states.
A ‘quiet’ Monday lunchtime on Market Street. Credit: The Manc Group
Management measures for both Market Street and Piccadilly Gardens that have been put forward include designated locations for organised activities, permits, reasonable controls on noise levels, a review of street trading locations, and more measures to reduce obstruction in high-footfall areas.
It reads: “The review should also consider whether the concentration of multiple organised activities within the same locations operating during the same time slots is appropriate, and whether a more balanced distribution across the city centre would improve accessibility while continuing to respect the rights to freedom of expression, peaceful assembly, and legitimate trading.
“The aim is not to prevent lawful expression, peaceful assembly, or legitimate trading. Instead, it is to ensure that Manchester’s busiest public spaces remain welcoming, accessible, and functional for everyone by achieving an appropriate balance between the many activities taking place within them, while protecting the rights of all who use these shared public spaces.”
The petition has made its way onto the Manchester Reddit subreddit, where one person described Market Street as an ‘absolute sensory overloaded obstacle course’ and a ‘sweetcorn scented sleep paralysis demon’.
The petition calls for more thought into the organisation of traders, performers, and more on Market Street. Credit: The Manc Group
One person commented: “Literally walked down market street just yesterday and thought about this, very glad something might actually be done. I moved away years ago and it was never good, but yesterday I’d never seen anything like it. Preachers, half a fun fair, sweet stand, rapper, guy dancing in a banana suit and more. It’s absolutely f*cked.”
Someone else posted: “People can practice whatever religion they want, but it’s horrible hearing loud chanting music, combined with two other religions doing the same thing, combined with random preaching, and then the buskers that seems to think if they’re super loud it means that are super good.”
You can see and sign the petition to review Market Street HERE.