Figures show R number is falling in the North West but could be over 1 in London
Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham shared the statistics, published Centre for Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases, on Monday morning (June 29).
The latest data shows that the R number in the North West is falling – but may be on the rise in the capital.
Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham shared the statistics, published by the Centre for Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases, on social media on Monday morning (June 29).
The data, containing calculations as of June 16, reveals that the R number in the North West is currently estimated to be around 0.7 – with daily cases expected to be “decreasing.”
Estimates show R rates in the East are the lowest in England at 0.6, whereas cases in the South East (0.9) and West Midlands (0.8) are also “likely decreasing.”
The R number in London and the South West, however, is predicted to be around 1.1.
ADVERTISEMENT
New regional R numbers published this morning by @cmmid_lshtm.
R, which stands for “reproduction number”, refers to the average number of secondary infections produced by one infected person.
The government has repeatedly emphasised the importance of keeping the R rate below 1, or else the virus is at risk of growing exponentially and spreading faster and further.
ADVERTISEMENT
Whilst community transmission has lowered during lockdown, some experts have stated that rising R numbers in certain regions may be attributed to care homes and hospitals.
The R number has the ability to influence decisions on restrictions and could play a role in enforcing local lockdowns – with Secretary of State for the Home Department Priti Patel confirming discussions had already been held on potentially tightening measures in the city of Leicester.
The government has pledged to provide support to manage any local flare-ups – including additional tests.
More information on the R number, including growth rates and estimations, is available on the UK government website.
News
Wetherspoons introduces new phone rule at all UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’
Emily Sergeant
JD Wetherspoon has announced a major new phone rule in all its sites across the UK after customers complain of being ‘driven nuts’.
The pub chain – which has nearly 800 branches across the UK – announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise – with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an ‘increasing problem’ in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be ‘an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation’.
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’ / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: “Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones.”
Tim Martin added: “In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Wetherspoon’s ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for ‘headphone dodgers’ who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon’s ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.
Featured Image – Jonathan Borba (via Unsplash)
News
Tameside police appeal for witnesses after two men were stabbed and doused in chilli oil
Emily Sergeant
Police are appealing for information regarding ‘multiple incidents’ that were reported in Ashton-under-Lyne town centre earlier this week.
These incidents – which took place on Tuesday evening (18 August) – included reports of assaults involving a non-toxic liquid substances, now found to have been chilli oil, and reported stabbings – with several locations examined by detectives and forensic specialists, and scenes now in place on Stamford Street, Warrington Street, and Wood Street while investigations continue.
Two men, aged 44 and 50, were taken to hospital with injuries consistent with stab wounds, but thankfully, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) has confirmed that their injuries are not deemed life-threatening.
A 30-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of Section 18 assault (grievous bodily harm) and both remain in custody for questioning.
Police believe that the incidents are linked and they are not looking for anyone else in connection.
They are, however, keen to hear from anyone who may have witnessed any of the incidents or has relevant CCTV, dashcam, or mobile phone footage that could assist with ongoing investigations.
Can you help? Anyone with any information is encouraged to contact police on 101 or via LiveChat, quoting log 3984 of 18/08/26.