Greater Manchester Police (GMP) and Cheshire Constabulary have joined forces in an attempt to tackle “rouge” carparks near Manchester Airport.
Over the past six months, the police forces say they have seen an increase in the number of holidaymakers reporting issues relating to meet-and-greet car parks that are operating near Manchester Airport, which is why they have come together this week to launch Operation Cicero – a multi-agency crackdown on these fake firms.
Some of the reports the police forces have received this year include more than 55 incidents at the Lode Hill and Moss Lane car parks alone.
The incidents have ranged from car thefts and criminal damage, to travellers returning home to find that their cars have been driven hundreds, even thousands, of miles away while they’ve been on holiday.
In one case recent case, Cheshire Constabulary said that a customer returned to the UK to find their car bonnet had been stolen, while in another report, a customer returned from their two-month holiday to find their car had been driven more than 3,000 miles while they had been away.
ADVERTISEMENT
In April alone, around 150 people returned home to find that their car keys were missing and their vehicles were stuck in a boggy field in Styal.
Officers were able to resolve matters and the cars were returned to their rightful owners.
ADVERTISEMENT
Over the past 6 months we've seen an increase in holidaymakers reporting issues relating to car parks operating near Manchester Airport. Today, with @gmpolice, Trading Standards, @EnvAgency and @HMRCgovuk we've conducted Op Cicero – a crackdown on rogue meet and greet firms.(1/2) pic.twitter.com/YXuQQIS23O
However, the two forces say the companies are having “a hugely detrimental impact on local residents and holidaymakers alike”, and so, more than 50 people from Cheshire Constabulary and Greater Manchester Police, along with immigration officers and staff from Trading Standards, the Environment Agency, and HMRC took place in an operation yesterday and attended the Moss Lane and Lode Hill car parks to help address the problems.
“Holidays are supposed to be the highlight of the family calendar, so the last thing anyone wants is to return home and find that their car has been damaged, or even worse is missing,” explained Inspector Andrew Baker from Cheshire Police.
“While many of these businesses are not illegal, some of the activity taking part on their sites is and some the services they are providing are questionable [so] by working together with our partners, we have all been able to use our specialist skills to identify any offences which are taking place and ensure that the appropriate action is taken.”
ADVERTISEMENT
He encouraged travellers to “do your research” before going on holiday.
Operation Cicero has been launched after cars were driven thousands of miles away while their owners were on holiday / Credit: Cheshire Constabulary
Inspector Baker continued: “I you are going on holiday and looking to book a parking slot, do your research, choose a reputable company and always book through an official website and don’t just go for the cheapest option.
“Otherwise your car may be touring the UK while you are travelling the world.”
Manchester Airport says it is “grateful” to the police forces and partner agencies for the work they are doing to tackle the issue, and has committed to continuing to “raise awareness of the risks posed by booking airport parking through these unscrupulous companies”.
Manchester United and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE
Danny Jones
Man United Women and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE after collecting the award this week.
The Greater Mancunian has grown to become one of the most influential female players of the modern era, and now her impact has been immortalised by the monarchy.
Being recognised for services to the discipline on Tuesday, 19 May, the local athlete finally collected her accolade at Windsor Castle.
Presented to her by Prince William, the Tyldesley-born attacker said in a statement: “It’s been amazing. It’s a bit of a pinch-me moment to be here and be honoured with an MBE.
“I never thought when I started out playing football I’d now be called Ella Toone MBE, so it’s a bit crazy.”
Having suffered a tough time out with injury, the 26-year-old also insists she is now back feeling “better and stronger than ever.”
With Sarina Wiegman’s official squad selection for the qualifiers ahead of FIFA’s 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil, she’s also looking forward to reuniting with her England teammates.
Here she is talking to Sky ahead of the games, not long after receiving the award:
"I've missed it so much, can't wait to be back with the girls" 🏴
Ella Toone is looking forward to meeting up with her England teammates next month for World Cup qualifiers against Spain and Ukraine. pic.twitter.com/K02nJbSkE0
Speaking back in December, she confessed that it’s all been “a bit mad” for her ever since she learned of the news, but her worthiness speaks for itself.
Winning not only back-to-back Euros titles with the national side, along with the first-ever UEFA Women’s Finalissima trophy in 2023, but also inspiring young kids dreaming of becoming footballers across the country and beyond.
Congratulations once again, ‘Tooney’ – beyond well-deserved.
Across the city, it’s great to see yet more groundbreaking investment in the women’s game being made for generations to come.
Poignant plans to mark ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack announced
Emily Sergeant
Manchester City Council has announced its plans to mark the ninth anniversary of the Manchester Arena attack.
This Friday 22 May 2026, it will be exactly eight years since a terror attack saw 22 people tragically lose their lives, and left thousands more injured and affected, during a bombing at the end of an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena back in 2017.
Every year, the city of Manchester comes together and joins the rest of the world in marking the day and remembering those who went to a concert and never returned home.
As has been the case for the past few years since it opened to the public, the focal point for this year’s personal remembrance and reflection will be the permanent Glade of Light memorial, near Manchester Cathedral.
The new Lord Mayor of Manchester, Cllr Shaukat Ali,, Manchester City Council Leader, Cllr Bev Craig, and Council Chief Executive, Tom Stannard, will each lay floral tributes at the memorial on behalf of the people of the city in memory of those who lost their lives.
The names of those who sadly died will also be read out on 22 May during services at Manchester Cathedral – firstly at 9am (Morning Prayers), then at 1:10pm (Holy Communion), and finally at 5:30pm (Choral Evensong).
The Cathedral will also be open throughout the day for those who wish to light a candle or pray.
Poignant plans to mark the ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack have been announced / Credit: The Manc Group | David Dixon (via Geograph)
Two one-minute silences will take place at Manchester Victoria station during the day too – one at 12 noon, and then one at and 10:31pm, which is the exact anniversary of the attack.
“Manchester will never forget those who lost their lives in the 22 May 2017 terror attack, nor the many others who were injured or otherwise affected,” Cllr Bev Craig said ahead of the plans to formally mark the anniversary this Friday.
“Time passes but we will not allow their memories to fade.
“On the ninth anniversary of that terrible day, we also remember the remarkable solidarity shown by the city in refusing to give in to hatred, and the resilience and courage shown by the loved ones of those who were killed and by survivors.”