Greater Manchester has been allocated over £1 billion in funding to deliver its “transformational” transport network.
It’s been a long time coming, but Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) has revealed that the government has officially confirmed a package of revenue funding from the City Region Sustainable Transport Settlements (CRSTS) for the city-region.
The funding will ultimately pave the way for the highly-anticipated, London-style transport system – the Bee Network.
Although the CRSTS funding allocation of £1.07 billion was initially announced ahead of last year’s autumn Budget, it’s been confirmed this week that it will be supported by £170 million in local contributions, which means there’ll be £1.2 billion worth of investment in local roads, bus, train and tram services over the next five years – with new quality bus corridors, cycling and walking routes and improved transport infrastructure and connectivity for towns and high streets in the region, GMCA says.
The funding will also help boost the city-region’s plans to improve air quality.
ADVERTISEMENT
Greater Manchester will receive £1.07bn from City Region Sustainable Transport Settlements to help deliver Bee Network: a transformational London style transport system for GM.
— Greater Manchester Combined Authority (@greatermcr) April 4, 2022
It’s set to support a move to a fully-electrified bus fleet, with 50 new zero emission buses expected to serve Bolton and Wigan when the first phase of bus franchising is introduced on 17 September 2023.
Cheaper fares will also be rolled out alongside bus franchising, with adult and children single journey fares capped at £2 and £1 respectively.
ADVERTISEMENT
Breaking down the funding allocation from this week’s groundbreaking announcement, it was confirmed that Greater Manchester will receive £94.8 million from the government’s Bus Back Better strategy, and the Metrolink will also receive £20.5 million recovery funding to support the continued operation of services for the next six months.
Greater Manchester has been allocated over £1 billion in funding to deliver its “transformational” transport network / Credit: TfGM
A funding allocation for the city-region’s bus operators, however, is yet to be confirmed.
ADVERTISEMENT
Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham has called for “more certainty over recovery funding”, with around £70 million said to be needed to keep tram and bus services operating at the current level throughout this financial year – especially as a “stable and reliable” public transport network is central to the delivery of the Bee Network.
“This funding will allow us to bring forward an improved bus service, with new buses, lower fares and more frequent services,” Mayor Andy Burnham said of the funding announcement.
“However, as welcome as [the] announcement is, the revenue funding is about half of what we bid for, and we still don’t know how much recovery funding bus operators will get to keep services running.
The funding will ultimately pave the way for the highly-anticipated, London-style transport system – the Bee Network / Credit: TfGM
“We have been working closely with government on a funding model that will enable us to stabilise, rebuild and ultimately transform public transport, but can only deliver the Bee Network if we have a sound foundation to build upon and without a longer-term recovery settlement, the threat of cuts to services still looms large.
“This is the final piece of the puzzle that will really enable us to get on and deliver the Bee Network and this is the case I will make to government as we continue to work together to unlock Greater Manchester’s full potential.”
Enzo Maresca to Manchester City: Ex-Chelsea coach looks set to replace Pep Guardiola
Danny Jones
With Manchester City manager and club legend Pep Guardiola now confirmed to be leaving the Etihad Stadium at the end of this season, it appears that Enzo Maresca has already been identified as his replacement.
With the game-changing Catalan head coach now gearing up to leave Man City after a decade, following the conclusion of the 2025/26 Premier League campaign, Blues are already getting ready to bid a bittersweet goodbye.
You won’t find many City supporters who will be happy to see him go, having overseen not only a period of dominance but the most successful period in their history – one that has quite literally changed English football – but they will at least be optimistic about the frontrunner to succeed him.
As per the ever-reliable Fabrizio Romano, among other sources, an agreement is said to have been reached for the Italian to take over in East Manchester.
🚨🔵 BREAKING: Enzo Maresca has a total verbal agreement with Manchester City, HERE WE GO!
The Italian manager has always been considered the ideal candidate to replace Pep Guardiola.
Deal in place and Maresca will sign an initial three year deal at #MCFC. 🇮🇹
Going so far as to state that the deal is now in place, he claims that Maresca will sign a three-year deal with Man City.
Obviously, this is all still pending an official announcement by the club, which may now be moving up their plans for an official reveal since they have now confirmed that Pep will be departing as reported earlier this month.
According to The Athletic‘s Sam Lee, who was part of the outlet’s team that helped break the story alongside David Ornstein, the 46-year-old has been earmarked for the top job for more than half a decade, as it turns out.
He states that former City Football Group exec and director of football, Txiki Begiristain, already believed Maresca could follow in the Spaniard’s footseps back in 2020.
MCFC have now shared an emotional farewell video following the news most have been dreading. Tissues at the ready, Blues…
The 46-year-old has gone on to win the likes of the Championship, UEFA Conference League title and a FIFA Club World Cup in his last two jobs at Leicester and Chelsea, respectively, barring his very first stint at Parma in 2021 when he missed out getting his side promoted.
Yes, it’s also worth reminding that Maresca has already worked as part of the staff at the Etihad Campus, not only leading their Elite Development Squad (EDS) of U23s players, but also being part of the backroom staff alongside the serial winner, serving as an assistant coach in 2022.
Safe to say that Maresca has quickly gone on to be one of the most promising managerial prospects in a relatively short space of time, and was even linked with being both the England boss and a rival position for Manchester United at one point or another.
It’s only a matter of time until we find out if/for how long he gets the job following Pep Guardiola’s contract expiration (he still technically has a year left, by the way), but he’ll have quite the job on to better his predecessor.
Would you be happy with the appointment, Blues? More crucially, perhaps, are you ready to say farewell to your greatest-ever manager?
Government to slash prices of cinema tickets, bus travel, and LOADS more across UK for kids this summer
Emily Sergeant
Cinema tickets, trips to the theatre and the zoo, and children’s meals out are all set to be cheaper than ever this summer.
That’s because the Government has announced its newest initiative, Great British Summer Savings, which means that from 25 June through to 1 September 2026, a temporary reduced rate of VAT – down from 20% to 5% – will be introduced on children’s meals in restaurants and family leisure activities over the summer period.
Children’s meals served in restaurants, children’s and family tickets for the cinema, theatre, exhibitions, shows, and concerts, and admission tickets – for both children and adults – to a wide range of different attractions will be eligible for the discount.
Whether you want to visit an amusement park, fairs, circuses, museums, zoos, adventure parks, soft play centre, or something similar this summer, it just got a whole lot cheaper.
The Government is slashing the prices of cinema tickets, bus travel, and LOADS more across UK for kids this summer / Credit: Artem Kniaz (via Unsplash) | Supplied
This aim of this initiative is to make family days out more affordable, while also supporting businesses through increased footfall.
The Government says it will work with eligible businesses to get the scheme ‘up and running’.
And to make it even better, this is a UK-wide initiative, so no matter where you are in England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, the reduced rate will apply.
Going one step further, there will also be free bus travel for children aged between five and 15 in England in August, helping to support families getting out and about this summer.
The Government says the Great British Summer Savings initiative supports the action it has already taken to reduce the cost of living – including cutting energy bills, freezing prescription charges, protecting motorists from fuel duty increases, and raising the minimum wage.
Businesses will be able to apply the 5% rate of VAT on eligible sales between 25 June and 1 September.