Manchester’s beloved gastropub Sam’s Chop House has confirmed it will be reopening to the public soon, following many long months of closure.
The historic 154-year-old pub is famous for a sculputre of artist L.S. Lowry that sits proudly in its bar and for its corned beef hash – which takes ten days to make and has previously been voted one of Manchester’s top ten dishes.
It’s also known for cooking up other traditional gastropub delights like beef suet pudding, steak, epic roast dinners and battered fish with triple cooked chips.
In a statement posted to its social media channels on Sunday, owner Roger Ward confirmed the pub would be reopening this February – stating this would be “hopefully in less than two weeks. And certainly in time for Valentine’s Day.”
Having closed in order to aid works to Cavendish House, the building in which it is based, the pub will soon fling open its doors to deliver its modern take on British classics to hungry Mancunians once again.
Speaking on the reopening, its owner confirmed that the pub would continue to work with local suppliers in order to cook with the freshest produce.
He also said that its love of fine wines would continue to be a focus, heralding the return of legendary sommelier George Bergier who, at the tender age of 75, has been “serving Manchester’s top tables and top people for 54 years now.”
Confirming that George would return to host Thursday and Friday’s lunchtime services, Roger added:
“The team will be led by general manager Sam Hernandez and Head Chef Scott Munro supported by some familiar faces. We’ll tell you more about them in the days to come.”
In 2015, the pub had joked as part of an April Fool’s Day prank that it was to permanently close – causing great consternation amongst its loyal band of followers. Little did we know back then that it would happen for real.
Fortunately, this time the closure was only temporary – and now it appears that fans won’t have to wait long to sit and enjoy a pint at the bar with Lowry once again.
It’s not the first time that the pub has been reopened by Mr. Ward, who relaunched itin 2001 four years after it was shuttered by its former corporate owners.
Promising to “build back better than we were before”, he said, “our family business will be joining the movement to rebuild Manchester city centre.”
Nodding to the pub’s longstanding history he added, “When Samuel Studd opened his doors for the first time in 1868 there were 13 chop houses in the city.
“More than 150 years later his business has seen two world wars, the Great Depression of the 1930s and two global pandemics.
“Only two of the original chop houses are still standing. And they are still independent.”
Mr. Ward also used to own the Albert Square Chop House, but this was sold to London pub operator The Metropolitan Pub Company, a Green King pub retailer, last year and has since relaunched as The Fountainhouse.
Feature image – Sam’s Chop House.
Rival Manchester fans urged to use different Wembley travel routes for FA Cup final
Football fans from rival Manchester clubs heading to watch the FA Cup final this weekend are being urged to take different travel routes to each other.
With it being the first time the two Manchester clubs have battled it out for the trophy in the final in the 151-year-old football competition’s illustrious history, tens of thousands of fans are expected to make the journey down to the capital.
But with this influx of excitable rival fans, admittedly, comes a set of challenges.
This is why The FA and TfGM have decided to introduce some measures, and issue travel tips and guidance, in a bid to make sure everyone stays safe, while still soaking in all the atmosphere of the historic day at the same time.
Due to what TfGM has called “significant” coordinated strike action by rail unions RMT and Aslef on Saturday, all supporters heading to the FA Cup final are advised to avoid trains and “consider alternative travel arrangements” instead – making sure to allow “additional time for travel” and planning their journeys “ahead of time”.
Fans are also being asked to check the road network carefully, as it’s also highly likely that traditional routes to Wembley will be “busier than normal” as a result of rail strikes.
The FA has confirmed that it will be providing 60 coaches for both Manchester clubs to help supporters get to Wembley and return to Manchester once the game has finished, but aside from this, TfGM has suggested that “anyone without an official match ticket should not travel to the game”.
The two Manchester clubs have been advised to encourage fans to use separate travel routes to each other to avoid clashes, and a list of service stations for each team has now also been published – confirming all the rumours to be true.
Allocation of motorway service stations
Manchester City supporters
Manchester United supporters
When it comes to the travel routes supporters of each team are advised to take, TfGM is urging Manchester City fans to take the M62/M1 as the first port of call, or taking the M6/M1 or M6/M6 Toll/M1 as a back-up option.
Manchester United supporters are encouraged to take the M6/M42/M40.
On top of information on travel routes and service station allocations, TfGM has also shared tips for matchday parking, tube travel around London, and more.
Two teens arrested after death of 21-year-old man found with ‘serious injuries’ in Old Trafford
Two teenage boys have been arrested following the death of a 21-year-old man who was found with “serious injuries” in Manchester.
The arrests come after Greater Manchester Police (GMP) was called to reports of a “disturbance” at an address on Kings Road in the Old Trafford area of Manchester at around 7:45pm yesterday evening (Wednesday 31 May), where a 21-year-old victim was found seriously injured.
Despite the best efforts of the first responders, the young man was sadly pronounced dead at the scene, GMP confirmed.
Following the incident, additional police officers have been deployed to the Old Trafford area.
It has now also been confirmed by GMP that two teenage boys have been arrested in connection with this incident – a 15-year-old on suspicion of murder, and a 16-year-old on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon in the nearby area.
Both remain in custody ahead of questioning.
A murder investigation has now been launched, which GMP says is currently in the “very early stages”, and police are urgently appealing for witnesses to come forward with any information or footage which may assist with this.
“A team of experienced officers will be working throughout the night and over the coming days to understand a timeline of events that will help us piece together what has happened,” explained Detective Superintendent Jane Higham.
“We recognise that incidents of this nature will cause concern in our communities, not just in Old Trafford, but across Greater Manchester, and as a result there will be a visible increase of police officers in the area over the coming days whilst detectives investigate.
“Anyone with any concerns is encouraged to come and speak to us.”
DS Higham is urging anyone who was in the Old Trafford area at the time of the incident yesterday evening, or anyone who has mobile, dashcam, doorbell, or CCTV footage that may be of interest, to contact us GMP as “even the smallest piece of evidence may help with our investigation and provide answers for the young man’s family”.
Anyone with information is asked to contact GMP on 101 quoting log number 3367 31/5/2023.