Whilst for some January means resolutions, diets, and a fresh opportunity to bring vision boards to life, for others it heralds the arrival ofnew dining deals, restaurant discounts and free food.
As often happens at the start of the year Manchester’s restaurants are dishing out discounts, with a range of set menus, 50% off and 2-4-1 deals all suddenly in abundance.
But one Northern Quarter spot is going even further, by handing out £2 pints, free chicken wings, and desserts to its customers in the know throughout January.
Known for its towering dirty burgers and fried chicken plates, served under tongue-in-cheek names like The Dirty Bird and The Massive C*ck, buttermilk fried chicken thighs are very much the order of the day at Yard and Coop.
The restaurant has been a staple on Edge Street for as long as we can remember, and now we have one more reason to visit: as it has just released its very own ‘Yard card’ for 2023, with special offers running every week.
ADVERTISEMENT
Image: The Manc Eats
Image: The Manc Eats
After kicking off the new year with £2 glasses of prosecco, this week Yard and Coop will be slashing the prices of its pints to £2 each for cardholders.
This month, staff will also be handing out free baskets of Yard and Coop’s signature wings – fried until golden in a secret house crumb, then smothered in homemade sauces like hot honey, Stateside BBQ, buffalo and ranch – as well as giving away some complimentary desserts this month.
Each week of January sees a different offer available at the fried chicken diner, with the £2 pints deal running from 9-14 January. After that, cardholders can enjoy free wings between 16-22 January, and free puddings from 21-31 January.
As well as the introduction of its new black Yard Card this month, Yard and Coop have also rolled out a small but mighty vegan menu for diners of the plant-powered persuasion.
ADVERTISEMENT
Image: The Manc Eats
Image: The Manc Eats
Created in collaboration with the team at Temple of Seitan, it consists of three vegan burger meals and a plate of pickled ‘cheese’ fries topped with salty baconnaise, melted vegan cheese, pickles and crispy and chopped onions.
Burger choices include a fully vegan reimagining of its popular Dirty Birdie BBBQ burger, made with pulled seitan chicken, tangy BBQ sauce, melted vegan cheese, crispy onion rings, seitan fried chicken and jalapeno mayo, as well as the sriracha mayo-slathered Viet’Nom burger with sweet and spicy rice noodles and a crunchy Asian slaw.
Elsewhere, you’ll also find The Bechamelt – described as ‘all kinds of extra’ by the team. Think crispy seitan fried chicken with melted vegan cheese, lettuce and onion, slathered in baconnaise and drenched in Yard and Coop’s secret recipe bechamel cheese sauce, followed by a layer of sweet scotch bonnet chili jam and a crispy onion ring.
Available all month long, to find out more, view the full menu and get your Yard Card for those cheeky freebies and savings, head over to the Yard and Coop website here.
Feature image – The Manc Eats
News
Family pays tribute to ‘much-loved son’ who died after Wigan bus crash
Daisy Jackson
The family of a man who died in a tragic bus crash in Wigan have paid a moving tribute to him.
Luke Hill, 28, was involved in a collision between a bus and a motorbike earlier this month, and sadly passed away in hospital the following morning.
The incident occurred on the Wigan Road junction of Alexandra Road, at around 11.54pm on Thursday 6 August – and GMP are still appealing for members of the public to come forward with CCTV, dashcam, or information.
The driver of the bus remained at the scene following the crash, and continues to support police with their investigation.
Paying tribute to Luke, his family described him as a ‘rock and much-loved part of the family’.
His mother said that living without him feels like a ‘terrible nightmare’.
Paying tribute, Luke’s mum, Sharon, has said: “Luke was my son, my rock, and a much-loved part of our family. There are simply no words to describe the pain of losing a son, especially in such a tragic way.
“It still doesn’t feel real. I keep expecting this terrible nightmare to end and for you to be here with us again.
“Luke was a beloved son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. He meant so much to so many people, and he will be deeply missed by all his family and friends.
“We miss you more than words could ever say. The pain of losing you is something we will carry with us forever, but so will the love and memories you gave us.
“The whole family is deeply saddened by this heartbreaking loss. We kindly ask that everyone respects our privacy and allows us the time and space we need to grieve.
“You will never be forgotten, Luke.
“We love you and miss you so much.”
Officers are continuing to appeal for any witnesses who may have seen the moments leading up to this incident, or anyone who has mobile phone or dash cam footage, to come forward and assist the investigation.
Anyone with information can contact police via 0161 856 4741 or our Live Chat at gmp.police.uk, quoting the log number 4225 of 06/08/2026.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Government issues UK-wide temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk
Emily Sergeant
A temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues has been issued nationwide.
Following the UK’s fourth heatwave of the summer, and as many regions declare drought conditions, the Government has made the decision to issue a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk.
A disposable barbecue is defined as a fuel tray or grill grid that includes charcoal fuel ‘sufficient to provide cooking temperature for the duration of a single cooking episode’.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the UK as a ‘tinderbox’ and urged ‘all retailers big and small’ to withdraw the sale of disposable barbecues to prevent further wildfires, but following the shocking scenes in Stourbridge which raged overnight, it appears this has been escalated to a formal temporary ban.
The ban applies to all producers and distributors of the product – including retailers that make disposable barbecues available on the British market – and includes online sales too.
A Government statement reads: “During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the Government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.
“They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.
“These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks.”