A number of restaurants, bars and coffee shops have said they will be closing their doors today and tomorrow as temperatures across the region soar above 30C.
Hatch street food traders Fuku and Cheeky Tikka Bites have shared news that they will close up shop today (18 July) and tomorrow – with the latter adding their team will be “enjoying some down time with some chilled drinks and ice creams” as they wait out the heatwave.
Northern Quarter coffee shop North Tea Power has also announced it will close today and tomorrow “due to the high temperature.”
Elsewhere, Greater Manchester food halls Mackie Mayor and Altrincham Market have both said they will close tomorrow, Tuesday 19 July, amidst the ‘red warning’ heatwave.
Bosses at both the city centre and Trafford food halls said that they made the decision to close in order to protect both their staff and customers from extremely high temperatures, which the Met Office has already warned pose a ‘danger to life’.
The decision to close affects over ten different traders at the food halls, including Tender Cow, Picoss, New Wave Ramen, Chilli B and Mummas Fried Chicken.
An additional food hall site the Picturedome in Macclesfield, Cheshire, will also remain shut until Wednesday, when ‘much more manageable temperature[s]’ are expected to return, whilst Stretford and Sale food halls remain open as usual.
Sharing the news on social media, the Mackie Mayor team wrote: “STAY COOL.. Due to the mad temperatures predicted on Tuesday (19th) we’ve decided to close for the day. for the welfare of our staff and customers.
“Sorry for the inconvenience but don’t worry.. we’ll be back to normal on Wednesday with a much more manageable temperature.”
Altrincham’s outdoor market and New Market Square will remain open, with the indoor food and drinks are closed until Wednesday.
Last week, Britain’s first ever extreme ‘red’ heat warning was issued by the Met Office with advice for commuters to stay at home and avoid travelling unless deemed absolutely necessary.
The Red extreme heat national severe weather warning covers parts of central, northern, eastern, and southeastern England on Monday 18 July and Tuesday 19 July.
This elevated weather warning followed an Amber Extreme heat warning, which had previously been in place for much of England and Wales for Sunday.
Feature image – North Tea Power
Major property developer criticised for ‘anti-sex worker’ billboard in Manchester city centre
One of Manchester’s most recognised property development companies has faced backlash this week for a ‘disgraceful’ billboard placed beside its newest residential site.
The enormous advertisement was erected beside Capital & Centric’s Crusader Mill and Phoenix developments in Piccadilly East.
On it are the words ‘From red light, to green light’ – a slogan that’s been branded as a ‘discriminatory, anti-sex worker billboard’ by a local charity.
Capital & Centric has now acknowledged that people ‘don’t like the banner’ and said that it will be changed.
MASH (Manchester Action on Street Health) offers support to women who sex work – be it for emotional wellbeing or sexual health – and has its headquarters near to the new billboard.
They wrote: “We’re saddened that a discriminatory, anti-sex worker billboard has been put up nr MASH.
“If we want Manchester to be a welcoming city where all can thrive, this isn’t the way.
“We stand with sex workers, always. Help to counteract the hate by supporting us mash.org.uk/donate.”
On Twitter, one person said: “Disgraceful for a property developer to espouse any kind of morality over sex workers who were here decades before them ~on a literal billboard~. @CapitalCentric you should be ashamed of this.”
Someone else said: “Unbelievably poor taste advertising from so-called social impact investors at @CapitalCentric.”
Adam Higgins, co-founder of Capital&Centric, said: “There’s been a handful of comments on social media from people who don’t like the banner. We never want to cause upset, so it’s being changed.
“Anyone who’s followed us will know about our efforts to have positive social impacts on the communities where we work.
“From building new homes and creating inclusive neighbourhoods, to actively supporting those most in need by working with frontline homeless charities.”
A Manchester City Council spokesperson said: “We have been made aware of an advertising banner installed by Capital and Centric in the Piccadilly area.
“We understand that this banner was not intended to cause offence and they have agreed to remove it.
“Capital and Centric play an important role in the city’s development, working with a number of voluntary and community organisations in this area, and have apologised for any unintentional upset caused by this marketing campaign.”
Featured image: The Manc Group
The public will get to have their say on the Greater Manchester Clean Air Zone – but not until 2023
New reports have suggested that the Greater Manchester public are to be consulted on the latest Clean Air Zone (CAZ) proposals – but this won’t be done any time soon.
The closest thing to a public response from the government on the plan was when environment secretary George Eustice said he believed there was “little robust evidence” that it will work effectively.
Mr Eustace suggested that taxis, vans, buses, and lorries should still be charged in the city centre.
It’s now being reported that, ahead GMCA’s plan for a non-charging CAZ is to be formally-submitted to the government in its final form following a meeting on 16 August, ‘targeted engagement’ is currently taking place on the proposal and an online survey for some motorists is set to launch in a couple of weeks – but this will not go out to everyone.
ITV Granada reports that transport bosses have confirmed the wider public will not be able to have their say on the new proposals until early 2023.
This has already been met with criticism from industry leaders and campaign groups.
Prominently addressing the fact the public will not be consulted on plans until 2023, spokesperson for RethinkGM – a campaign group set up in opposition to the Greater Manchester Clear Air Zone – said: “It is extremely disappointing that leadership of Greater Manchester continue to ignore the public and residents of the region once again, by leaving public consultation on any CAZ scheme until early 2023.
“With a national cost of living crisis currently under way and residents now choosing between eating, heating and survival, GMCA still fail in their duty to residents and maintain their ill-advised attempt to impose further unnecessary limitations on livelihoods.
“It is quite clear that this scheme now needs scrapping in full and consideration given to the poor, low paid, business and those suffering above all else.”