Manchester has welcomed a new Lord Mayor this week, and he’s ready to “serve hardworking Mancunians who want to see their beloved city thrive”.
Following Councillor Yasmine Dar’s departure from the role, Councillor Paul Andrews has now taken over the reins, and was officially appointed the new Lord Mayor of Manchester during a full Manchester City Council meeting yesterday (15 May).
This makes the “proud Mancunian” the 126th person to hold the Mayor title in the city’s history.
Born in Crumpsall, and spending the majority of his life living in the Bradford area of the city before moving to Wythenshawe in 1959, Cllr Andrews successfully completed an apprenticeship in the print industry following his graduation from Poundswick Grammar School in 1970.
His working life began as a baggage handler at Manchester Airport in 1978, but it was almost two decades before he started his politics career.
ADVERTISEMENT
Cllr Andrews was first elected to Manchester City Council in 1996, where he represented the Woodhouse Park Ward.
Manchester has welcomed ‘proud Mancunian’ Paul Andrews as the city’s new Lord Mayor / Credit: Manchester City Council
The “tireless work ethic” he demonstrated throughout his Airport career was carried over into his Councillor role, with other Manchester City Council members often noting his “outstanding” participation in committees, his serving on and completing of two terms on the Executive Committee, and his sitting on numerous governing bodies.
ADVERTISEMENT
Most notably, he was the Council’s Executive Member for Adults, Health and Wellbeing, and he also served on the Foster Panel for a decade too.
Even throughout his time as a Councillor, Paul was keen to keep to “his roots”, and chose to serve on the Manchester Airport Trust Fund and the Port Health Authority as a way of reflecting his “unflinching dedication” to “bettering Manchester”.
— Manchester City Council (@ManCityCouncil) May 15, 2024
Celebrating carers is described as one of Cllr Andrews’ and his wife, Karen’s – who he has been married to since 1996, and has been a “steadfast supporter” in his duty to public life – “most revisited themes”, as he was known for being passionate about improving the livelihoods of vulnerable young people with help through volunteers and professional organisations.
ADVERTISEMENT
Outside of his political life, Cllr Andrews’ favourite way to pass the time is fishing, and he also likes to take regular visits to Ireland and Scotland with his family.
“To be appointed as Lord Mayor of this city is humbling and an utmost honour,” Cllr Andrews said after being appointed as the new Lord Mayor of Manchester yesterday.
He said the honour is one he “does not take lightly”.
“As I seek to serve hardworking Mancunians who want to see their beloved city thrive, under my tenure and through our core values of hard work, collaboration, and innovation, I aim to continue Manchester’s legacy of being a city that supports our residents to succeed,” Cllr Andrews concluded.
Featured Image – Manchester City Council
News
Manchester’s tiny new tiramisu hatch Layr speaks out after receiving influx of ‘hostile’ hate messages
Emily Sergeant
Manchester’s tiny new tiramisu hatch has spoken out after receiving a recent influx of ‘hostile’ hate messages and reviews.
Having only opened its doors – or should we say, shutters – at the end of last month (29 January) over in Acoats, Layr is one of Manchester’s newest independent businesses that is selling purely tiramisu, with a menu of three different flavours, each served in individually portioned pots.
Here you can expect classic tiramisu where sponge is soaked in espresso, then layered with vanilla marscapone and cocoa dust.
These freshly-made, alcohol-free and Halal desserts have gone down an absolute treat with residents and visitors to the city alike since opening, but unfortunately, it hasn’t been completely smooth sailing for founder Moona who has admitted over the weekend that they have been receiving a number of ‘hostile’ hate comments and reviews that don’t reflect the service they are providing.
The statement comes after the business teamed up with The Couture Club and influencer Farron Clark for a Valentine’s collaboration over the weekend.
Layr said in its Instagram statement: “As a small independent business, we can’t stay silent when things aren’t right. It’s hard to share, but it has to be said.
“With a heavy heart, we need to address something that’s been happening behind the scenes. Over the past few days, we’ve noticed a pattern that’s been difficult to process. Hostile hate-messages, comments, and reviews. A number of one-star reviews have appeared that don’t feel reflective of real customer experiences… with some of our genuine customer photos have been screenshotted and reposted elsewhere.
Layr has spoken out after receiving an influx of ‘hostile’ hate messages / Credit: The Manc Group
“As a small, new independent business, we take all feedback on board. However instances that appear not to be genuine are disheartening to see.”
They then shared a couple of screenshot images of reviews and comments they were referring to, before adding that: “The industry is already a challenge without these instances. We all need each other’s support and I hope we all succeed in what we set out to achieve.”
The statement concluded: “Let’s spread love… not hate.”
Layr’s post has seen hundreds of likes and comments from customers and other local businesses sharing their support.
Featured Image – The Manc Group
News
Government announces social media crackdown with potential ban for under 16s
Emily Sergeant
The Government has announced a social media crackdown in a bid to keep children safe amid rapid technology changes.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer wants to take ‘immediate action’ to make the online world safer for children.
The new measures announced today include a crackdown on ‘vile’ illegal content created by AI, including fast action to shut a legal loophole and force all AI chatbot providers to abide by illegal content duties in the Online Safety Act or face the consequences of breaking the law.
The Government says it’s also taking new legal powers to lay the groundwork for immediate action following its consultation on children’s wellbeing online carried out earlier this year.
No social media platform should get a free pass when it comes to protecting our kids.
These new powers introduced this week will mean Government ministers can act fast on the findings of the consultation within months, rather than waiting years for new primary legislation every time technology evolves, and this means, crucially, being able to prohibit measures like setting a minimum age limit for social media – which Australia famously became the first country to do so last year – and restricting features like infinite scrolling that are also harmful.
It’s also likely that there will be restrictions introduced on children’s use of AI chatbots, as well as options to age-restrict or limit children’s VPN, and changing the age of digital consent.
The Prime Minister has insisted ‘no platform gets a free pass’.
The Government has announced a social media crackdown with a potential ban for under 16s / Credit: Julian Christ (via Unsplash)
“As a dad of two teenagers, I know the challenges and the worries that parents face making sure their kids are safe online,” Mr Starmer said.
“Technology is moving really fast, and the law has got to keep up. With my Government, Britain will be a leader not a follower when it comes to online safety. The action we took on Grok sent a clear message that no platform gets a free pass.
“Today we are closing loopholes that put children at risk, and laying the groundwork for further action. We are acting to protect children’s wellbeing and help parents to navigate the minefield of social media.”