Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham has vowed to fight any restrictions imposed on the region that come with inadequate support.
Speaking on BBC’s Question Time on Thursday evening (9 October), the region’s leader appeared to be losing patience with the government after being kept in the dark at crucial points during the pandemic.
The Mayor said he had learned of the looming hospitality closures in northern England on the front page of a newspaper, and pledged to “challenge them in any way” he could if they did not come with necessary compensation.
“I didn’t know about [the measures], nobody told me,” Burnham said on the BBC programme.
“But it doesn’t really matter about me… what about the people who work in those pubs and restaurants?
ADVERTISEMENT
“This has got to stop.
“We cannot face a national crisis with the government just imposing decisions from the centre with no agreement from the people who have to face the real world today – people saying: ‘We can’t go in another lockdown, our businesses will finish.'”
ADVERTISEMENT
If the Government closes businesses across the North without providing proper compensation and a local furlough scheme for staff, then, yes, I will challenge them in any way I can. https://t.co/ra0MOraaXa
Burnham said he had attempted to establish a dialogue with Westminster regarding a local furlough scheme for hospitality workers – citing the example of Bolton whereby pubs and restaurants were banned from operating without financial aid to help them.
“The message I’ve given to the government is a pretty clear one: There can be no restrictions without support,” Burnham stated.
“If it’s going to be the Tier Three restrictions, effectively a national lockdown, we have to go back to a full furlough scheme for those staff [and] support for those businesses.”
ADVERTISEMENT
David Dixon
The Mayor warned that the north of England was at risk of being “levelled down” by the new measures, are apparently set to bring about the full closure of pubs, restaurants and cafes.
“I will not accept it,” Burnham added.
“I will not accept restrictions without support.
“I will not accept the government just imposing restrictions these decisions upon us, briefing them to newspapers late at night. They need to treat the people of the north of England with more respect.”
News
Wetherspoons introduces new phone rule at all UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’
Emily Sergeant
JD Wetherspoon has announced a major new phone rule in all its sites across the UK after customers complain of being ‘driven nuts’.
The pub chain – which has nearly 800 branches across the UK – announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise – with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an ‘increasing problem’ in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be ‘an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation’.
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’ / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: “Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones.”
Tim Martin added: “In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Wetherspoon’s ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for ‘headphone dodgers’ who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon’s ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.
Featured Image – Jonathan Borba (via Unsplash)
News
Tameside police appeal for witnesses after two men were stabbed and doused in chilli oil
Emily Sergeant
Police are appealing for information regarding ‘multiple incidents’ that were reported in Ashton-under-Lyne town centre earlier this week.
These incidents – which took place on Tuesday evening (18 August) – included reports of assaults involving a non-toxic liquid substances, now found to have been chilli oil, and reported stabbings – with several locations examined by detectives and forensic specialists, and scenes now in place on Stamford Street, Warrington Street, and Wood Street while investigations continue.
Two men, aged 44 and 50, were taken to hospital with injuries consistent with stab wounds, but thankfully, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) has confirmed that their injuries are not deemed life-threatening.
A 30-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of Section 18 assault (grievous bodily harm) and both remain in custody for questioning.
Police believe that the incidents are linked and they are not looking for anyone else in connection.
They are, however, keen to hear from anyone who may have witnessed any of the incidents or has relevant CCTV, dashcam, or mobile phone footage that could assist with ongoing investigations.
Can you help? Anyone with any information is encouraged to contact police on 101 or via LiveChat, quoting log 3984 of 18/08/26.