The man who stabbed Michelle Hodgkinson to death in broad daylight in Tameside has been sentenced to a hospital order.
Paul Hughes, 30, was sentenced at Minshull Street Crown Court today after his arrest on 3 June 2023 on suspicion of murder.
He was deemed too mentally unwell to stand trial – at the time of Michelle’s murder he was suffering from a schizophrenic attack at the time of the incident and still is suffering from Schizophrenia.
On 2 June 2023, Hughes brought a four-pack of kitchen knives, boarded a tram to Droylsden and headed to a canal path, where he appeared to be ‘lying in wait’ for someone to walk past him.
Tragically, that person was Michelle Hodgkinson, who walked past on her way to meet her mother.
ADVERTISEMENT
She was followed, attacked from behind and stabbed multiple times.
The attack was captured on dashcam footage and several witnesses came forward to police with statements.
ADVERTISEMENT
The court heart this week that despite being unwell, Hughes carefully planned the attack.
Hughes bought a pack of kitchen knives and waited down a canal path before he stabbed a stranger, a 51-year-old woman, on 2 June 2023.
Michelle died at the scene on Edge Lane despite the best efforts of passers-by who tried to give her first aid, and the emergency services.
ADVERTISEMENT
Detective Chief Inspector Danny Lee of GMP’s Major Incident Team, said: “Michelle’s death has left a void in her family, and nothing will fix the pain they are feeling. I hope that they can gain some form of closure and justice from the sentence passed today.
“I’d like to thank the members of the public who rushed to Michelle’s side and the first responders, both paramedics and response police officers who also attended the scene to give CPR in an attempt to give her the best possible chance of life.
“It is a moment to recognise, however, the devastation knife crime causes in our communities. Across Greater Manchester, officers and staff are working hard to fight, prevent and reduce this type of crime.
In a previous tribute to Michelle Hodgkinson, her family have said: “Everyone who knows Michelle are still in utter shock at the attack she endured and how horrific her last moments were.
“Our Shelly B was the most amazing, loving, selfless and funny daughter, mother, mother-in-law, sister, auntie and most recently a nanna. It was a privilege to have been known and loved by her. She loved helping people in her community and was known for volunteering as an appropriate adult, her charity work and loved creating hampers to make people smile.
ADVERTISEMENT
“She would be there for anyone and the day she was taken from us, she was doing just that – walking to meet her mum to take her shopping and to go for a coffee.
“Our family and friends are heartbroken. In one moment our world has crumbled and will never be the same. We will support each other, and we thank and appreciate the love and support shown by our family and friends. Please hold your loved ones close, tell them you love them and make memories.
“Words cannot describe how much she will be missed. Our biggest cheerleader, our confidant, our rock – she will never be forgotten. We love you to the moon and back!
Family pay tribute to 17-year-old girl who died in crash during police pursuit in Bolton
Emily Sergeant
The family of a 17-year-old girl who sadly lost her life in a collision in Bolton earlier this month have now paid tribute to her.
Erica De Sousa Correia sadly died in hospital in the early hours of Tuesday morning (19 May), following injuries sustained in a collision on Walker Fold Road in Bolton back on 5 May.
Her passing comes after, at around 6:25pm on 5 May, a car activated an ANPR camera in the Bolton area, having previously being marked as a suspicious vehicle.
A short time later, officers from Greater Manchester Police‘s (GMP) traffic unit spotted the vehicle, which failed to stop on Old Kiln Lane, and following a brief pursuit, the vehicle subsequently crashed on Walker Fold Road.
The driver of the vehicle – a 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons – was charged with a number of offences, including causing serious injury by dangerous driving, and has been bailed pending further enquiries.
An investigation by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is ongoing at this time.
In the meantime, Erica’s family has now paid tribute to her: “Erica’s happiness was contagious. She loved to dance and sing and loved spending time in Portugal with her family. She wanted to become a midwife as she loved children and also studied travel and tourism. She was incredibly intelligent and studied hard and got good grades in school .
“Erica was due to celebrate her 18th birthday on 1 June and was looking forward to having a party to celebrate her special day. She even had her outfit planned for her birthday.
“Erica was the kindest person… [she] was the baby of our very close family.
“Our family cannot put into words our tragic loss and how much we will miss her. Please respect our privacy at this very distressing time.”
Featured Image – GMP (Family Submission)
News
Manchester Airport to launch 12 more new routes across the world this summer
Emily Sergeant
Mancs will soon get the chance to travel to even more of the most beautiful and underrated places on Earth for the first time.
You may remember that back at the start of the year, Manchester Airport announced seven new ‘exciting’ flight routes to destinations across the world, and now with summer right around the corner and the decade-long £1.3 billion transformation of Terminal 2 pretty much complete, a dozen extra locations have been added to the list.
Already described as being ‘the UK’s global gateway in the North’, Manchester Airport offers a route network that’s unparalleled outside London, with more than 200 destinations served by 50 airlines – but that network is set to widen once again.
A coastal resort in Italy, an architectural gem in Greece, and the largest city in the north of Pakistan are among the cities that will gain new direct flights this summer.
Manchester Airport is launching 12 more new routes across the world this summer / Credit: Reisetopia, Malik-Tayyab & Makis-Hristaras (via Unsplash)
Two major global cities will be added to the airport’s long-haul route network this summer, with Algiers and Lahore set to gain direct flights.
The service to Algeria’s capital will be operated by national airline Air Algerie from 14 June, with prices from £263.43pp return, while Pakistan International Airlines will build upon the successful launch of its Islamabad service by adding Lahore as its second destination from Manchester from 3 July, with fares from £881.23pp return.
Other destinations on the list include easyJet’s new service to Bari in southern Italy, launching on 3 July, Preveza, an airport in mainland Greece that serves as the access point for the picturesque island of Lefkada, starting on 24 June, and Ryanair’s new services to Castellon in eastern Spain and Rimini, a city on Italy’s Adriatic coast, both starting on 1 and 3 June, respectively.
A coastal resort in Italy and an architectural gem in Greece are some of the new destinations / Credit: Alain Rouiller & Jonny Africa (via Unsplash)
A handful of Jet2 services to new locations for the airline have already taken flight over the past couple of months, including La Palma, Palermo, and Pula in Croatia.
“We know people are just as keen as ever to enjoy a holiday abroad this summer, and while places like Mallorca, Alicante and Faro are always in demand, we know many travellers want to explore somewhere new, even if they’re travelling to a country that they’ve visited many times before,” commented Stephen Turner, who is the Chief Commercial Officer at Manchester Airport.
“That’s why we’re so excited to see a dozen new routes coming on board this summer, several of which will connect Manchester to destinations unserved by any other northern airport.
“We’re sure these destinations will prove popular with passengers, and we’re grateful to our airlines for their ongoing commitment to offer passengers flying from Manchester unrivalled choice.”