MPs debated whether or not the sale of fireworks should be drastically limited in Parliament yesterday.
The debate took place after a petition calling for a clampdown on firework sales and displays to be limited to those licensed by local councils was signed by more than 300,000 people, and backed by a number of human and animal welfare charities.
The petition – which was live last year, and amassed hundreds of thousands of signatures – says the current law “allows for public use of fireworks 16 hours a day, every day, making it impossible for vulnerable groups to take precautions against the distress they can cause.”
But campaigners who backed the petition said noisy fireworks cause “distress” to vulnerable people and animals.
The proposed sales clampdown would spell the end of many annual domestic firework displays.
ADVERTISEMENT
During the debate, concerns were raised over a number of issues relating to firework sales and displays, including about the impact of fireworks on newborn children, with Alex Davies-Jones – MP for Pontypridd – saying: “There has been little terms of progress for practical change [and although] a well-organised fireworks display is something people look forward to, we must consider the impacts it has on some.”
MPs debated whether or not the sale of fireworks should be drastically limited in Parliament yesterday / Credit: Pixnio
MP Justin Madders switched the debate over to animal welfare, by referencing an incident where a dog in his constituency of Ellesmere Port jumped from a first-floor window and ran onto a motorway, adding: “The fact she reacted how she did shows how she must have been feeling.”
ADVERTISEMENT
MPs also heard claims that over 100 people a year end up in hospital after firework-related incidents.
Over 4,000 animals require support due to fireworks too.
Darlington MP Peter Gibson then acknowledged the claims and said he “understands” the concerns of pet owners, but said a ban would be “counter-productive”, and added that: “We all know how special November 5 can be and many look forward to dazzling fireworks and bonfire shows, however many are afraid and we know fireworks can be used as weapons.
ADVERTISEMENT
“As a dog owner myself, I well understand the concerns of Darlington pet owners.”
He also referenced that anti-social abuse of fireworks continues around the country, and particularly highlighted fireworks bought online, rather than in supermarkets and dedicated firework shops.
Debates come after more than 300,000 people signed a petition that was backed by a number of human and animal welfare charities / Credit: Unsplash
Summarising the points heard in the debate and addressing the issue, Small Business Minister Paul Scully said: “I am grateful to members of the public who signed this e-petition. An outright ban on fireworks and an outright ban to the sale to the public is not appropriate.
“We have concerns banning fireworks in this way could have significantly adverse and unintended consequences on public safety perpetuating the emergence of a black market of illicit fireworks.
“There was a reason in the 2019 debate, yes it was an election, and there was an enquiry and the evidence given did align with the current view, that included the police chiefs council and fire chiefs council.
ADVERTISEMENT
“This debate looks at the impact on vulnerable people and animals.”
Mr Scully says he “sympathised” with animals, and said the government carried out a programme on firework safety.
Following yesterday’s debate, it was heard that further debates would be required in the House of Commons should anything be amended legislatively in the future.
Featured Image – Hippopx
News
Tribute paid to man ‘loved by so many’ stabbed to death in Levenshulme
Daisy Jackson
The brother of a man stabbed to death in Levenshulme has paid a heartbreaking tribute to him.
Zherko Rasul Osman was just 24 years old when he was fatally wounded in an incident on Chapel Street on Saturday evening.
Despite the best efforts of emergency services personnel, Zherko sadly died at the scene.
Now, his brother has paid tribute to him, saying he was ‘someone who was loved by so many’.
The touching tribute reads: “My brother was a kind, friendly and loving person who never looked for trouble or wanted to harm anyone.
“He was loved and respected by his friends, his mates and the neighbours in the community where he lived. He had a good heart and would always be remembered for the warmth and happiness he brought to those around him.
“His life was taken so suddenly and for no reason, leaving a pain and emptiness that words cannot describe. We are heartbroken that someone who was loved by so many is no longer here. He deserved to live his life and make memories with the people he loved.
“He will never be forgotten. His smile, his kindness and the memories we shared with him will stay in our hearts forever. We love you, and we will miss you every single day.”
Zherko Rasul Osman suffered serious stab wounds on Chapel Street in Levenshulme at around 7.06pm on Saturday 15 August.
A 23-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder, and he remains in custody for questioning. A 27-year-old man who had also been arrested on suspicion of murder remains on bail pending further enquiries.
Officers continue to make progress as the investigation continues. It is believed this was an isolated incident with no wider threat to the public.
Police are urging anyone who may have information to please report it through the dedicated online portal HERE.
Anyone in the Chapel Street area around the time of this incident, or who has mobile phone, CCTV, Ring doorbell or dashcam footage can contact police on 0161 856 9008 quoting the log number 2983 of 15/08/2026.
Alternatively contact independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Government launches £442m drive to get rough sleepers off streets before Christmas
Emily Sergeant
Prime Minister Andy Burnham has launched a £442m drive to get rough sleepers off the streets before Christmas.
Learning from ‘innovative’ approaches put into place during the pandemic, the Government has announced that new accommodation will be rolled out across England this winter, as well as offering practical help with housing, health, and other needs to support people to build a more stable life for themselves in the future.
The new commitment to offer everyone a route off the streets this Christmas, along with boosted funding, reflect the Andy Burnham‘s national drive to make ‘real change’ and get everyone playing their part in ending rough sleeping.
Not only will these plans change the lives of rough sleepers, but it’s also said they will have huge benefits for the country as a whole.
Research from homelessness charity Crisis suggests that by preventing 40,000 people from becoming homeless for a year, taxpayers could save around £370 million.
The Government has launched a £442m drive to get rough sleepers off the streets before Christmas / Credit: Number 10 Press Office | Jon Tyson (via Unsplash)
As well provisions to get people off the streets, and the intensive ‘wraparound’ support, the newly allocated funding will also help local areas deliver more than 1,000 ‘settled’ homes over the next three years, it has been confirmed.
Areas facing the greatest pressures will receive the largest share of support.
Working alongside councils, Mayors will play a leading role in driving local action to end rough sleeping, and will be tasked with making decisions that are right for their communities to deliver help where it’s needed most.
The Prime Minister says he ‘won’t accept’ rough sleeping any longer. He commented: “No one should have to bed down in a doorway or outside a station, but we’ve seen it for so long that it feels like Westminster has started to accept it.
“That’s why my first instruction as Prime Minister was to end rough sleeping, and it’s why today we’re getting started with a national drive to get everyone in for Christmas. We did it in the pandemic, we can do it again. But it needs all of us.