Nine teenagers have been re-arrested on suspicion of murder as the investigation into the death of Kennie Carter ‘gathers pace’.
16-year-old Kennie was stabbed in the chest in Stretford in January, and died shortly afterwards in hospital.
The fatal stabbing, which police say sent ‘shockwaves through the community’, took place on Thirlmere Avenue just before 7pm on Saturday 22 January.
Kennie was described by his family as being a ‘cheeky chappy’ whose death left a ‘massive hole’ in their lives.
Police have announced today that nine teenagers, aged between 13 and 17, were re-arrested on 14 June on suspicion of murder.
ADVERTISEMENT
Thirlmere Avenue in Stretford, the street where Kennie Carter was fatally stabbed.
Eight have been re-bailed while one remains in custody.
Kennie’s family are being kept updated on the investigation and supported by specialist officers.
ADVERTISEMENT
Their tribute to their son said: “Kennie was our youngest , our baby, our cheeky chappy with baby blue eyes. His death has left a massive hole in our lives and our family has been destroyed. We will never have the opportunity to see him growing up and having a family of his own.
“Each day when we wake the house feels empty; we can’t hear his footsteps, his voice or his music. We cannot believe how generous people have been, even people that don’t know us or Kennie directly.
“We want to ask the community to provide as much information as they can to the police so that the person responsible is brought to justice. Young lives like Kennie’s are being lost far too often and this has to stop.”
ADVERTISEMENT
The Major Incident Team have spoken to over 50 people, collated in excess of 100 hours of CCTV and executed over a dozen warrants.
Detective Chief Inspector Alicia Smith, from GMP’s Major Incident Team, said: “Kennie’s death sent shockwaves through the community and has left a family still trying to come to terms with their loss of their loved one.
“Kennie was just 16 and had his whole life ahead of him and ever since that evening, our investigation has continued. Yesterday’s arrests are all part of our continued work to get the Kennie’s family the answers they desperately need.
“Anyone can contact us with information – no matter how insignificant it may seem – on 0161 856 9908 quoting incident 2529 of 22/01/2022 or to our online portal here: https://mipp.police.uk/operation/06GMP22S43-PO1.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Details can be passed anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”
Featured image: GMP
News
Second arrest made on suspicion of murder after man stabbed to death in Levenshulme
Emily Sergeant
A second arrest has been made following the death of a young man in Levenshulme this past weekend.
The victim has now also been formally named to the public.
Earlier this week, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) explained that officers were called to reports of a man who suffered ‘serious stab wounds’ on Chapel Street at around 7:06pm on Saturday evening (15 August), and once they arrived on the scene, the victim was pronounced dead despite the best efforts of emergency services.
According to police, it is believed that this was an ‘isolated incident’ with no wider threat to the public.
As mentioned, the victim has now been named as 24-year-old Zherko Rasul Osman, and his family are being supported by specialist officers at this time.
When the investigation was first opened, a 27-year-old man had already been arrested on suspicion of murder and was being kept in police custody, but it has now been confirmed that a second man has also been arrested.
Yesterday evening (Tuesday 18 August), a 23-year-old man was arrested, also on suspicion of murder, and he remains in custody for questioning.
“This arrest marks a significant step in our investigation and shows our continued commitment to securing justice for the victim and his family,” commented Detective Inspector Alex Wilkinson, from GMP’s Major Incident Team.
“Our officers are working at pace to establish the full circumstances as officers on scene are conducting investigations.
“As our investigation is ongoing, we would like to hear from anyone who may have information that can assist us.”
Can you help? Anyone in the Chapel Street area around the time of this incident, or who has mobile phone, CCTV, Ring doorbell and dashcam footage, can contact police on 0161 856 9008 quoting the log number 2983 of 15/08/2026.
Alternatively you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Featured Image – GMP
News
NHS urges people to book flu jabs ahead of winter as A&E attendances hit record 2.5 million
Emily Sergeant
The NHS is urging people get their flu jabs booked ahead of the upcoming season.
After A&E attendances hit a record 2.5 million in July, and staff experienced the three busiest months ever recorded between May and July in emergency departments, the NHS wants to do everything it can to ‘ease demand’ ahead of winter flu season arriving.
Flu season usually peaks in December and January, so the health service is starting to administer the vaccinations from autumn onwards to ensure fewer people are hospitalised.
Flu can cause significant issues for children, pregnant women, older adults, and people with some long-term health conditions – with issues including hospitalisation and, in certain cases, severe respiratory failure or even death.
It’s estimated that around 104,000 hospitalisations could have been avoided last year, which is why the NHS is keen to cut that number this winter.
From today, the national booking system is open for those eligible to book their flu vaccine, with appointments starting from 1 September.
Those eligible will be able to get their flu vaccination from a variety of places in their local community, including their GP practices and participating high street pharmacies.
The jab is given in injectable form in the vast majority of cases, while a nasal spray is provided for most children.
“Vaccinations play a vital role in protecting those most at risk from flu and they are also crucial for relieving pressures on our NHS over the winter months,” explained Health Secretary Yvette Cooper.
“Everyone who is eligible for a free vaccination will be notified through their phone or in the post, and the system for booking appointments is now open. Together, we can save lives, support the most vulnerable, and ensure our NHS is there for everyone who needs it this winter.”
The national booking system is now open so that eligible people – including pregnant women and children – can pre-book their flu vaccinations when appointments start on 1 September.