The government has confirmed that plans to connect Stockport onto the Metrolink are being “actively studied”.
The Greater Manchester borough is one of a few areas that is not currently connected up to the region’s expansive tram network, but Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed during PMQs in the House of Commons yesterday that the Department for Transport (DfT) is “actively studying” ways to get services running through the town soon enough.
The PM made the comment after Cheadle’s MP said that she now wanted the town on the tram network after the green light had been given for plans to build a new central railway station.
The single-platform railway station is due to open in 2025, and will connect Cheadle to Stockport town centre and beyond.
However during PMQs yesterday, Cheadle MP Mary Robinson said that she now wanted to see the mid-Cheshire line made into a double line with an extension of the Metrolink into the town, as she feels that improving connectivity is “key to economic growth” and the future of the government’s Levelling Up agenda.
The PM’s confirmation comments also come after it was announced this week that nearly £14 million has been secured for Stockport from the government’s Towns Fund – which will go towards the construction of the new train station.
ADVERTISEMENT
The government has confirmed that plans to connect Stockport onto the Metrolink are being “actively studied” / Credit: TfGM & SMDC
Money from the funding will also go towards two other projects.
One project being a north-south cycling and walking route – which will link the new station to the town centre – and the other being the building of a new Eco Business Park on Bird Hall Lane.
MP Mary Robinson said in her question to the Prime Minister: “After securing almost £14m in my town’s fund bid for Cheadle, I was delighted last week to get the green light for our new Cheadle rail station, and £4m for our state-of-the-art eco business park.
ADVERTISEMENT
“I have had tremendous support from the Cheadle Towns Board and local community who understand how important it is to have connected towns and villages bringing investment and hi-tech jobs to our area.
“I’m ambitious for Cheadle, and I now want to secure the re-doubling of the mid-Cheshire line and the extension of Metrolink through my constituency.”
It comes after nearly £14 million has been secured for Stockport from the government’s Towns Fund / Credit: TfGM
Mr Johnson said in response: “It’s thanks to the massive exertions of this government in levelling up with the £650 billion investment in infrastructure that we’re having a new railway station in Cheadle, for instance Mr Speaker.
“I know that the bids that my honourable friend just mentioned are now being actively studied by the Department for Transport and she should feed in more to them.”
ADVERTISEMENT
The extension of the tram network through to Stockport is something that has been discussed as far back as 2004, and in 2020, Andy Burnham announced plans to bring Metrolink to the borough within the next 10 years.
Stockport’s new transport interchange, which is currently under construction on the site of the town’s old bus station, has also been designed to to leave space for the addition of any future Metrolink or Tram-Train extensions.
Featured Image – TfGM
News
Second arrest made on suspicion of murder after man stabbed to death in Levenshulme
Emily Sergeant
A second arrest has been made following the death of a young man in Levenshulme this past weekend.
The victim has now also been formally named to the public.
Earlier this week, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) explained that officers were called to reports of a man who suffered ‘serious stab wounds’ on Chapel Street at around 7:06pm on Saturday evening (15 August), and once they arrived on the scene, the victim was pronounced dead despite the best efforts of emergency services.
According to police, it is believed that this was an ‘isolated incident’ with no wider threat to the public.
As mentioned, the victim has now been named as 24-year-old Zherko Rasul Osman, and his family are being supported by specialist officers at this time.
When the investigation was first opened, a 27-year-old man had already been arrested on suspicion of murder and was being kept in police custody, but it has now been confirmed that a second man has also been arrested.
Yesterday evening (Tuesday 18 August), a 23-year-old man was arrested, also on suspicion of murder, and he remains in custody for questioning.
“This arrest marks a significant step in our investigation and shows our continued commitment to securing justice for the victim and his family,” commented Detective Inspector Alex Wilkinson, from GMP’s Major Incident Team.
“Our officers are working at pace to establish the full circumstances as officers on scene are conducting investigations.
“As our investigation is ongoing, we would like to hear from anyone who may have information that can assist us.”
Can you help? Anyone in the Chapel Street area around the time of this incident, or who has mobile phone, CCTV, Ring doorbell and dashcam footage, can contact police on 0161 856 9008 quoting the log number 2983 of 15/08/2026.
Alternatively you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Featured Image – GMP
News
NHS urges people to book flu jabs ahead of winter as A&E attendances hit record 2.5 million
Emily Sergeant
The NHS is urging people get their flu jabs booked ahead of the upcoming season.
After A&E attendances hit a record 2.5 million in July, and staff experienced the three busiest months ever recorded between May and July in emergency departments, the NHS wants to do everything it can to ‘ease demand’ ahead of winter flu season arriving.
Flu season usually peaks in December and January, so the health service is starting to administer the vaccinations from autumn onwards to ensure fewer people are hospitalised.
Flu can cause significant issues for children, pregnant women, older adults, and people with some long-term health conditions – with issues including hospitalisation and, in certain cases, severe respiratory failure or even death.
It’s estimated that around 104,000 hospitalisations could have been avoided last year, which is why the NHS is keen to cut that number this winter.
From today, the national booking system is open for those eligible to book their flu vaccine, with appointments starting from 1 September.
Those eligible will be able to get their flu vaccination from a variety of places in their local community, including their GP practices and participating high street pharmacies.
The jab is given in injectable form in the vast majority of cases, while a nasal spray is provided for most children.
“Vaccinations play a vital role in protecting those most at risk from flu and they are also crucial for relieving pressures on our NHS over the winter months,” explained Health Secretary Yvette Cooper.
“Everyone who is eligible for a free vaccination will be notified through their phone or in the post, and the system for booking appointments is now open. Together, we can save lives, support the most vulnerable, and ensure our NHS is there for everyone who needs it this winter.”
The national booking system is now open so that eligible people – including pregnant women and children – can pre-book their flu vaccinations when appointments start on 1 September.