A woman has been arrested and 15 dogs have been seized by police after a man lost his life in a fatal dog attack in Wigan last week.
The 37-year-old man, named Jonathan Hogg – known as ‘Oggy’ to his friends and family – sustained serious injuries when he was mauled by a dog described as “dangerously out of control” on Westleigh Lane in Leigh last Thursday (18 May) at around 9:10pm.
Armed police officers were deployed to the scene, and attempted to control the dog – but due to the risk posed to the public, the dog was “humanely destroyed”.
Tributes soon began pouring in from those who knew and loved Mr Hogg.
ADVERTISEMENT
37-year-old Jonathan Hogg died after being mauled by a “dangerously out of control dog” in Leigh / Credit: Facebook | GMP
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) has confirmed that officers have now arrested two individuals in relation to the incident – with the first being a 24-year-old male on suspicion of being in charge of a dangerously out of control dog causing injury resulting in death, followed by a 22-year-old female on suspicion of money laundering.
Officers also proceeded to search two houses, and seized 15 dogs from these searches – six adults and nine puppies – all believed to be the same breed as that which attacked Jonathan, which are now being cared for at a specialist facility.
ADVERTISEMENT
Items totalling a value of £37,500, which police believe to be the result of criminal proceeds, have also been seized.
The male and female arrested have both been bailed pending further enquiries.
#ARREST | GMP have made a second arrest and seized 15 dogs in relation to the dog attack which led to the death of 37-year-old Jonathan Hogg on Westleigh Lane in #Leigh.
Items totalling a value of £37,500 believed to be the result of criminal proceeds have been seized. pic.twitter.com/n5m3qGBXZy
— Greater Manchester Police (@gmpolice) May 20, 2023
“Our investigations into this violent attack are moving at a pace, as our officers work relentlessly to understand the events that led to Jonathan’s death,” said Detective Chief Inspector, John Davies.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Dangerous dogs do not have a place in our communities, and we want to reassure the public that we are doing everything in our power to keep people safe, so if you think someone has or is breeding dogs which endanger the public, please report it.”
DCI Davies also encouraged the public to consult GMP’s advice page if they require more information about dangerous dogs in the UK.
Featured Image – GMP
News
Hundreds of staff to strike at four Greater Manchester hospitals next week
Emily Sergeant
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week.
More than 350 Northern Care Alliance Foundation Trust (NCA) employees – including nurses, clinical support workers and housekeepers – are walking out for three days next week after union UNISON says an offer to ‘resolve’ a dispute was withdrawn before discussions could take place.
According to the union, the dispute centres on the NCA’s use of an outside agency called NHS Professionals (NHSP) to manage overtime.
When covering staff shortages, workers are entitled to time-and-a-half pay – however in some cases, staff earn less than they would on a normal shift, and some have even been missing out on more than £80 per shift, the union added.
Operating theatre staff were previously on picket lines in June, and although an option to resolve the row was initially tabled by NCA bosses, this has now fallen through.
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week / Credit: Stephen Andrews (via Unsplash)
This means that staff at Salford Royal Hospital, Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary, and Fairfield Hospital in Bury are walking out next week on Monday 24, Wednesday 26, and Friday 28 August.
In particular, staff from all four sites will also gather in Salford on Wednesday (26 August) for a ‘unified’ day of protest.
Understandably, some disruption is expected at each of the hospitals on strike days.
“Those at the top of NCA have shown a lack of leadership and made their disregard for their staff clear,” explained UNISON North West regional organiser, Kevin Dolan.
“A deal was put on the table but taken away before we had chance to talk it over. We are ready to continue negotiations, but it’s obvious NCA has no intention of resolving this.
“This isn’t complicated. Staff are simply asking for what their contract says they’re entitled to. Nothing more.”
Featured Image – Pxhere
News
Wetherspoons introduces new phone rule at all UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’
Emily Sergeant
JD Wetherspoon has announced a major new phone rule in all its sites across the UK after customers complain of being ‘driven nuts’.
The pub chain – which has nearly 800 branches across the UK – announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise – with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an ‘increasing problem’ in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be ‘an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation’.
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’ / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: “Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones.”
Tim Martin added: “In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Wetherspoon’s ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for ‘headphone dodgers’ who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon’s ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.