A pub in Bristol has been branded ‘Britain’s wokest’ after its landlord made the decision to ban the sale of Thatcher’s cider, Heineken, Coca Cola and Bacardi at the bar.
The Red Lion in Bristol made the move after a campaign was launched in the city to boycott Somerset cider makers Thatcher’s.
Countering Colston, an activist group in Bristol, revealed last week that the cider company’s director and fourth-generation cider-maker was a member of a merchants’ society with deep links to slave trader Edward Colston.
After this came to light, bosses at The Red Lion said it would be ‘hypocritical’ to continue selling the cider.
They then also made the decision to ban Heineken beers, Coca Cola and Bacardi as the companies behind these products are also accused of maintaining unethical production practises around the globe.
Criticism of the pub has come in thick and fast from culture warriors online, but bosses at The Red Lion are sticking to their morals on the matter.
Landlord Lemmy has spoken out, telling the South West News Service.: ‘We have taken what we consider to be an ethical stance — it’s part of who we all are.
ADVERTISEMENT
‘We have been labelled “woke” and all these weaponised words, which have made us feel pretty vulnerable.’
“When we have taken the stance which we believe is ethical, we do not want to be made some kind of target.”
Elaborating on the pub’s decision not to sell Coca Cola and other products deemed unethical, he added: “We don’t serve Coca-Cola because they have a history of seriously bad use of water in third-world countries,”
ADVERTISEMENT
Image: Google
The pub also does not sell Polish lager Tyskie, because of the company’s apparent links with the anti-LGBTQ movement.
It emerged earlier this month that Thatcher’s cider director and fourth-generation cider-maker Martin Thatcher has been a member of a merchants’ society with deep links to slave trader Edward Colston since 2012.
Countering Colston, an activist group in Bristol, launched the boycott-Thatcher’s campaign last week in protest at the Society of the Merchant Venturers (SMV’s) deep links with Bristol’s historical slave trade.
The activist group tweeted: “Martin Thatcher, director of the company, is a member of the Society of the Merchant Venturers.
“The SMV has deep roots in the historical slave trade in Bristol, and its members were responsible for the suffering and death of tens of thousands of human beings.
ADVERTISEMENT
“They are a powerful unelected elite who have significant influence on political and civic life in Bristol.”
Feature image – Google
News
Family pays tribute to ‘much-loved son’ who died after Wigan bus crash
Daisy Jackson
The family of a man who died in a tragic bus crash in Wigan have paid a moving tribute to him.
Luke Hill, 28, was involved in a collision between a bus and a motorbike earlier this month, and sadly passed away in hospital the following morning.
The incident occurred on the Wigan Road junction of Alexandra Road, at around 11.54pm on Thursday 6 August – and GMP are still appealing for members of the public to come forward with CCTV, dashcam, or information.
The driver of the bus remained at the scene following the crash, and continues to support police with their investigation.
Paying tribute to Luke, his family described him as a ‘rock and much-loved part of the family’.
His mother said that living without him feels like a ‘terrible nightmare’.
Paying tribute, Luke’s mum, Sharon, has said: “Luke was my son, my rock, and a much-loved part of our family. There are simply no words to describe the pain of losing a son, especially in such a tragic way.
“It still doesn’t feel real. I keep expecting this terrible nightmare to end and for you to be here with us again.
“Luke was a beloved son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. He meant so much to so many people, and he will be deeply missed by all his family and friends.
“We miss you more than words could ever say. The pain of losing you is something we will carry with us forever, but so will the love and memories you gave us.
“The whole family is deeply saddened by this heartbreaking loss. We kindly ask that everyone respects our privacy and allows us the time and space we need to grieve.
“You will never be forgotten, Luke.
“We love you and miss you so much.”
Officers are continuing to appeal for any witnesses who may have seen the moments leading up to this incident, or anyone who has mobile phone or dash cam footage, to come forward and assist the investigation.
Anyone with information can contact police via 0161 856 4741 or our Live Chat at gmp.police.uk, quoting the log number 4225 of 06/08/2026.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Government issues UK-wide temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk
Emily Sergeant
A temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues has been issued nationwide.
Following the UK’s fourth heatwave of the summer, and as many regions declare drought conditions, the Government has made the decision to issue a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk.
A disposable barbecue is defined as a fuel tray or grill grid that includes charcoal fuel ‘sufficient to provide cooking temperature for the duration of a single cooking episode’.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the UK as a ‘tinderbox’ and urged ‘all retailers big and small’ to withdraw the sale of disposable barbecues to prevent further wildfires, but following the shocking scenes in Stourbridge which raged overnight, it appears this has been escalated to a formal temporary ban.
The ban applies to all producers and distributors of the product – including retailers that make disposable barbecues available on the British market – and includes online sales too.
A Government statement reads: “During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the Government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.
“They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.
“These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks.”