Significant heavy rainfall has fallen in the North West since Monday evening – with a number of flood warnings in place across Greater Manchester – and is expected to continue through the rest of the week.
An amber weather warning for rain is currently in place for Greater Manchester.
Homes and businesses are likely to be flooded, causing damage to some buildings.
Fast flowing or deep floodwater is likely, causing danger to life.
Delays and some cancellations to train and bus services are likely.
Spray and flooding probably leading to difficult driving conditions and some road closures.
A good chance some communities cut off by flooded roads.
Power cuts and loss of other services to some homes and businesses likely.
The amber alert is currently in place until 12pm on Thursday 21st January.
The Flood Information Service has put warnings in place for 12 locals areas so far.
This includes the River Roch at Littleborough, River Roch in Rochdale, the River Mersey at Cheadle Wood and Ford Lane, and Walsden Water.
The River Mersey has been highlighted as the main area of current concern.
This relates to Didsbury, Northenden, Sale, and potentially leading into parts of Stretford and Flixton.
Greater Manchester Police has also declared a ‘major incident’, warning residents that flooding is now expected in several parts, and stating that: “The safety of the public is our number one priority and we’re continuing to work alongside partner agencies across the region.
“Whilst we appreciate that everyone has been told to stay home due to the coronavirus pandemic, we want to make it clear that should members of the public need to evacuate to protect themselves due to flooding then that is the priority and you should follow your local authority’s advice regarding evacuation.”
At the Mayor Andy Burnham’s press conference this afternoon, Assistant Chief Constable Nick Bailey – Chair of the GM Strategic Coordination Group for Storm Christoph – gave an additional update on the latest information across the region.
He said the main risk in the Greater Manchester area is around the River Mersey relating to Didsbury, Northenden, Sale, and potentially leading into parts of Stretford and Flixton.
“As we speak, residents across those areas are being contacted by the Environment Agency and local authorities to advise them. Alerts have already been put out [and] people there are being advised to consider evacuation procedures should that happen.
“We are going to start to see the overflow contingency provisions at around 5pm.
“That will reach a peak at around 11pm this evening where we will see flooding of those areas.”
He continued: “In its worst-case scenario, estimated by Environment Agency, that could impact on up to 3,000 properties across all the areas
“This is a significant incident in terms of disruption to population.”
ACC Nick Bailey said those 3,000 properties may not have to evacuate, and local authorities would work “right up to the last minute” to prevent it.
What should I do if I get a flood warning?
A flood warning means you need to act as flooding is expected, and you should:
Move vehicles to higher ground, if it’s safe to do so.
Move family and pets to safety.
Move important items upstairs or to a safe place in your property, starting with cherished items and valuables, then furniture and furnishings.
Turn off gas, electricity and water supplies if it’s safe to do so; never touch an electrical switch if you’re standing in water.
If you have property protection products such as flood barriers, or air brick covers, use them now keep track of the latest situation.
You can find further details regarding the flood warnings issued across the region on the gov.uk website, and more information can also be found via the Met Office.
Police search for Moors murder victim Keith Bennett resumes as ‘skull is found’
Police are back searching for Moors Murder victim Keith Bennett after a skull was reportedly found.
12-year-old Keith was snatched by notorious serial killers Ian Brady and Myra Hindley in 1964.
The pair’s victims were five children, Pauline Reade, John Kilbride, Keith Bennett, Lesley Ann Downey and Edward Evans, all aged between 10 and 17 years old at the time of their murder.
The victims were buried on Saddleworth Moor, but Keith’s remains have never been found.
Now a major breakthrough may have come from an author, Russell Edwards, who alerted police to ‘potential human remains in a remote location’.
Specialist GMP officers have now begun initial exploration activity but say it is ‘far too early’ to confirm if human remains have been discovered.
Officers have also updated Keith’s brother Alan Bennett, who was just eight years old when his sibling vanished and who has dedicated much of his life to solving the mystery of the missing body.
MP Force Review Officer Martin Bottomley said: “At around 11.25am on Thursday 29 September 2022, Greater Manchester Police was contacted by the representative of an author who has been researching the murder of Keith Bennett, a victim of Ian Brady and Myra Hindley.
“Following direct contact with the author, we were informed that he had discovered what he believes are potential human remains in a remote location on the Moors and he agreed to meet with officers yesterday afternoon to elaborate on his find and direct us to a site of interest.
“The site was assessed late last night and, this morning, specialist officers have begun initial exploration activity. We are in the very early stages of assessing the information which has been brought to our attention but have made the decision to act on it in line with a normal response to a report of this kind.
“It is far too early to be certain whether human remains have been discovered and this is expected to take some time.
“We have always said that GMP would act on any significant information which may lead to the recovery of Keith and reunite him with his family. As such, we have informed his brother of the potential development – he does not wish to be contacted at this time and asks that his privacy is respected.”
A further GMP statement published by the Manchester Evening Newsadded: “We have always said that GMP would act on any significant information which may lead to the recovery of Keith and reunite him with his family.
“Officers met with Mr Edwards yesterday evening (29th September) and he was able to locate a site of interest and provide us with further details of the work he has been carrying out.
“We are at the very early stages of assessing the evidence which he brought to our attention, but have taken the decision to excavate an area of land with a view to determining what lies there.
“It is far too early to be certain whether human remains have been uncovered, but out of respect for Alan Bennett, who we regularly maintain contact with, we have informed him of this potential development.
“Alan does not wish to be disturbed at this time and we would ask that his request for privacy is respected.”
Featured image: GMP
Question Time audience stunned as first-time buyer says mortgage quote DOUBLED
Thursday night’s Question Time audience could be heard audibly gasping after a fellow crowd member revealed that her mortgage quote had doubled followed the recent mini-budget.
Taping in Manchester on 29 September, the current events and politics programme was discussing property when would-be first-time buyer Rabia revealed that her mortgage offer had jumped from an initial amount of 4.5% interest to a shocking 10.5% in just a matter of days.
As you can see in the incredible clip, both the audience and the panel are taken aback at the revelation.
The Greater Manchester resident said she is desperate to know what the government’s plan for mortgages is as following the latest revision, she says she simply cannot afford to put the money down on her first home.
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer weighed in on the social media reaction, quote tweeting the clip from his party’s own account and stating that “the Tories must get back to Parliament and reverse their kamikaze budget” as the current economic mess is being “paid for by working people”.
To make matters worse, Rabia was given no clarification from her lenders, only that they were pulling her offers. Conservative MP and Minister for Local Government, Faith and Communities, Paul Scully had little information to offer her either, simply stating it is a short-term effect and that the market will stabilise.
Scully was subject to an entirely different reaction from the audience as well after his blind attempts to defend Prime Minister Liz Truss and Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng were met with laughter. Conversely, Richard Bacon was met with applause after he labelled the mini-budget “absurd”.
As if the anti-Tory sentiment wasn’t already at a high, the chancellor’s mini-budget – which saw the corporations, bankers and the generally wealthy benefit ahead of the working class – has seen fresh calls for a general election to be held as soon as possible.
Beyond declaring a so-called £2,500 limit on energy bills (which many have warned isn’t a guaranteed cap), there was seemingly very little in the way of policy that
For those still unclear as to what was announced in the divisive mini-budget, here is a quick summary:
Speaking in a speech at the Labour conference in Liverpool on Tuesday, Starmer said that the government “haven’t just failed to fix the roof, they’ve ripped out the foundations, smashed the windows and now they’ve blown the doors off for good measure.