The very first images showing the inside of Capital & Centric’s spectacular £35m ‘Jenga‘ Leonardo Hotel have officially been released.
The 275-bed hotel – built on the corner of Adair Street and Great Ancoats in Manchester – sits at the heart of the new Capital & Centric Piccadilly East neighbourhood; which featured heavily in the recent BBC Two documentary Manctopia: Billion Pound Property Boom.
New pictures show the hotel’s ground floor restaurant, café bar and external terrace area – which connects to a new public square.
A gym and adjoining wellness studio will also be on site – with built-in tablets featuring pre-loaded meditations.
Adam Higgins, co-founder of Capital & Centric, said: “The hotel is going to be surrounded by greenery, with planters adorning the sides of the building and spilling out onto a new public square with tons of plants and trees.
ADVERTISEMENT
“This theme runs throughout the interiors with a feeling of nature creating a chilled out space. The building’s got such an iconic design inside and out that will really set the tone for the emerging Piccadilly East neighbourhood and draw people into the area”.
The interiors of the hotel are being designed by Manchester-based design and branding studio NoChintz – drawing on the idea of contrast whilst taking cues from the architectural Jenga design from Stephenson Studio.
ADVERTISEMENT
The theory of Divine Proportion will bring symmetry to the hotel – helping guests feel positively connected to the space, whilst touchpoints have been designed to stimulate the senses..
Lucy Goddard, Creative Director at NoChintz, said: “It was an obvious choice for us to continue the narrative of the exterior, conceptualising a holistic design story which celebrates differences and finds balance through contrasts.
“Themes of positive and negative, relief and recess, solid and void reference textile punch cards, artists Josef and Anni Albers, and Jenga.
ADVERTISEMENT
“The interior scheme weaves a wellness centric approach through every detail. Contrasting tones and textures with raw base layers and soft, organic overlays.”
She added: “Our goal is to create a memorable customer journey with strong touchpoints and sensory considerations at every step. For us, wellness is adding value through design and experience. It is designing with purpose.”
The 14-storey award-winning building is due to open in Manchester in 2022 and will be operated by Leonardo Hotels.
The Jenga building is the latest exciting development to come from Capital & Centric, who are also behind the Phoenix Building, Crusader Mill, Kampus and Weir Mill.
You can learn more about all the developments being led by Capital & Centric on their website.
News
Hundreds of staff to strike at four Greater Manchester hospitals next week
Emily Sergeant
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week.
More than 350 Northern Care Alliance Foundation Trust (NCA) employees – including nurses, clinical support workers and housekeepers – are walking out for three days next week after union UNISON says an offer to ‘resolve’ a dispute was withdrawn before discussions could take place.
According to the union, the dispute centres on the NCA’s use of an outside agency called NHS Professionals (NHSP) to manage overtime.
When covering staff shortages, workers are entitled to time-and-a-half pay – however in some cases, staff earn less than they would on a normal shift, and some have even been missing out on more than £80 per shift, the union added.
Operating theatre staff were previously on picket lines in June, and although an option to resolve the row was initially tabled by NCA bosses, this has now fallen through.
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week / Credit: Stephen Andrews (via Unsplash)
This means that staff at Salford Royal Hospital, Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary, and Fairfield Hospital in Bury are walking out next week on Monday 24, Wednesday 26, and Friday 28 August.
In particular, staff from all four sites will also gather in Salford on Wednesday (26 August) for a ‘unified’ day of protest.
Understandably, some disruption is expected at each of the hospitals on strike days.
“Those at the top of NCA have shown a lack of leadership and made their disregard for their staff clear,” explained UNISON North West regional organiser, Kevin Dolan.
“A deal was put on the table but taken away before we had chance to talk it over. We are ready to continue negotiations, but it’s obvious NCA has no intention of resolving this.
“This isn’t complicated. Staff are simply asking for what their contract says they’re entitled to. Nothing more.”
Featured Image – Pxhere
News
Wetherspoons introduces new phone rule at all UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’
Emily Sergeant
JD Wetherspoon has announced a major new phone rule in all its sites across the UK after customers complain of being ‘driven nuts’.
The pub chain – which has nearly 800 branches across the UK – announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise – with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an ‘increasing problem’ in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be ‘an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation’.
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’ / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: “Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones.”
Tim Martin added: “In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Wetherspoon’s ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for ‘headphone dodgers’ who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon’s ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.