Teenager jailed for 21 years after murdering man in Atherton last year

The 17-year-old has now been named as Jordan Rance.

Emily Sergeant Emily Sergeant - 9th May 2024

A teenager has been jailed for life after being found guilty of murdering a man in Atherton last year, it has been confirmed.

The 17-year-old – who can now been named as Jordan Rance, following reporting restrictions against him due to his age, having been lifted by a judge – appeared at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court yesterday (Wednesday 8 May), where he was sentenced to a minimum term of 21 years after being found guilty of murdering Paul Marsh last year.

The sentencing comes after Greater Manchester Police (GMP) were called reports of a man being unconscious at a property on Samuel Street in the Greater Manchester town of Atherton at around 6:08pm on the evening of 17 November 2023.

Police attended the scene to find that a 49-year-old man had sustained an injury described as being “serious”.

Despite the best efforts of all emergency services who attended the scene, Mr Marsh tragically passed away a short time later.


GMP’s Major Incident Team subsequently launched a murder investigation launched a murder investigation following the incident – which concluded with Rance, who was 16-years-old at the time, being charged with murder.

Following Rance’s sentencing yesterday, GMP has now released further details of the incident.


The police service explained that the victim and Rance had been at the address in Atherton together, along with others, when an argument commenced between the pair that eventually escalated and Rance was witnessed to “lunge towards the victim with a knife” and stabbed him in the shoulder.

Rance and his friend immediately ran from the scene, GMP revealed, while others at the address called for an ambulance and attempted first aid.

During the sentencing yesterday, the court was shown an image of Rance holding a knife that he had taken on his phone, and this image has now also been released by GMP to the public.


Speaking following Rance’s sentencing yesterday, Detective Chief Inspector Neil Higginson, of GMP’s Major Incident Team, branded this a “tragic case”.

He continued: “A seemingly innocuous exchange has escalated and resulted in a loss of life, and our thoughts remain with Paul’s family at this time.

“We also have a young person going to prison for a long time, so this case should serve as a stark reminder that carrying a knife is illegal and you could be jailed if you’re found to be in possession of one.

Read more:

“No good can come from carrying a knife and self-protection is not a reasonable excuse.”

Featured Image – GMP