Family pays tribute to ‘unconditionally loved’ man found dead at a house in Atherton

"We cannot believe that he has died in such a violent and tragic way."

Emily Sergeant Emily Sergeant - 20th November 2023

The family of a man who was found dead at a house in Atherton last Friday evening have now paid a touching tribute to him.

It comes after Greater Manchester Police (GMP) were called reports of a man being unconscious at a property on Samuel Street in the Greater Manchester town of Atherton at around 6:08pm last Friday evening (17 November), and when they attended the scene, they found a 49-year-old who’d sustained an injury described as being “serious”.

Despite the best efforts of the all the emergency services who attended the scene, the man tragically passed away a short time later.

Officers say they believe the man had been stabbed.

With a murder investigation having been launched, and enquiries currently ongoing, the man has now been named as Paul Marsh, and his family have paid tribute to the “unconditionally loved” father.


The family’s tribute reads: “Paul was our son, brother, partner and father, and he was loved unconditionally. Paul’s death is beyond comprehension, and we cannot believe that he has died in such a violent and tragic way.

“Paul will be remembered for many things not least, his laughter, loyalty, and sense of fun. He will not be forgotten, and our world is a sadder place without him in it.”


Paul’s family have asked for privacy whilst they grieve for their loss.

Samuel Street in Atherton, where the man was sadly found dead / Credit: Google Maps

Police have also issued a public appeal for information.

Detective Chief Inspector Neil Higginson said he understands people “will be concerned when they hear of news of what has happened”, but the force would like to reassure the public that it has “a number of additional resources deployed to identifying the person responsible”.


“We are treating this as a murder investigation, and it is believed that the man was stabbed, DCI Higginson added.

“We are carrying out multiple lines of enquiry and are also appealing to anyone with information about this incident to make a report to police. This includes anyone who may have relevant footage including CCTV, mobile, Ring doorbell or dashcam”.

Initially, a 22-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder, GMP confirmed, but he has since been released andc currently “faces no further action”.

Following this, GMP has now confirmed that a 16-year-old male was arrested on suspicion of murder yesterday evening (19 November), and he remains in police custody for questioning.

Read more:

Anyone with any information is asked to contact GMP by calling 101 quoting 2727 of 17/11/2023, or alternatively, you can report anonymously by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Featured Image – GMP