Three men jailed for life after attempted murder of 16-year-old Salford boy

They were each handed 32 years behind bars.

Emily Sergeant Emily Sergeant - 27th February 2024

Three men have been handed lengthy jail sentences after the attempted murder of a 16-year-old boy in Salford last March.

Aiden Broadhurst, Kyle Meighan, and Jieh Sufyaan have each been jailed for 32 years.

Each of the three men were jailed for life at Manchester Crown Court yesterday (26 February 2024) after being found guilty of attempted murder following a two-month trial, and all received the same sentences – including an additional three years each on licence.

It comes after a 16-year-old boy, who Greater Manchester Police (GMP) say cannot be named for legal reasons, was riding his motorbike through the Salford town of Eccles on the afternoon of Sunday 19 March 2023, when he was spotted by Broadhurst, Meighan, and Sufyaan and an “immediate assembly for a targeted attack” was then promptly “organised”.

The court heard that the boy was riding the motorbike with his girlfriend to a local convenience store, and the pair made their way onto Station Road towards Armitage Street, with CCTV showing they were closely-followed by the suspect motorbike, which traced the route the boy had taken and pulled up alongside them.


Seconds later, two gunshots were heard.

The 16-year-old boy sustained a single gunshot wound, which went through his arm and into his chest, and was taken to hospital for treatment shortly after – but thankfully, was discharged a couple of days later to recover at home.


Following the distressing incident, a police investigation was subsequently launched, which was named ‘Operation Knott’.

Three men have been jailed for life after the attempted murder of a 16-year-old Salford boy / Credit: GMP

‘Operation Knott’ was primarily led by GMP’s Serious Crime Division, in conjunction with Salford district policing teams, and was said to have involved “painstaking” work to determine the events tht happened, all eventually leading to the apprehending and sentencing of the three suspects.

“We hope that today’s result will go some way to allowing the victim to heal and move on with his life,” commented GMP’s Detective Chief Inspector, Neil Higginson, following yesterday’s sentencing.


“Every single officer who took part in this investigation is committed to keeping people who live within the local community safe, as it is simply unacceptable to have people carrying guns and using these, and we will make it our life’s work to ensure that these kinds of people are taken off the streets.

Read more:

“We would also like to thank the community of Salford, as their ongoing support ensures we can tackle crime together and keep people of Manchester safe.”

Featured Image – GMP