Oldham Coliseum says it’s “heartbroken” to announce that its general manager has sadly passed away over the weekend.
Lesley Chenery served as the Oldham-based theatre’s Head of Production from 2013 – 2021, before leaving the position and then returning in January 2023 as General Manager to help the theatre through “a difficult situation”.
Sharing the heartbreaking news of her shock death on social media last night, Oldham Coliseum Theatre said in a statement: “We are heartbroken to announce the passing of Coliseum General Manager Lesley Chenery this weekend.
“Lesley was head of production from 2013 to 2021, and returned this January as General Manager to help guide the company through the loss of NPO Funding. Lesley was the backbone of the Coliseum, her presence at the theatre over the past weeks has brought immeasurable relief to us all.
“She was a friend, a support and a rock to many current and previous members of Coliseum staff [and] her knowledge, experience and love for the Coliseum and the team is unmatched – we will miss her beyond words.
“Our thoughts are with her family and friends.”
Hundreds of people have been sharing their heartfelt tributes to Lesley since the announcement.
One person shared in tribute on social media: “Absolutely heartbroken to hear this news. She was such a fireball of fun, strength and fairness. Always a voice of equality & standing up for whoever wasn’t in the room, with a huge passion for theatre. Loved and admired by many.”
Another wrote in tribute: “What awful news, Lesley was always so incredibly supportive to everyone working at The Coliseum. She was also a lovely warm funny person.
“Thinking of her family, friends and everyone at The Coliseum. What a terrible loss.”
A third person wrote: “Very very sad news. Lesley will be missed by so many of us who have worked with her across the industry. I remember working with her earlier in my career at the dukes Lancaster and then years later at the coliseum.
“She was a very experienced production manager, plus a thoughtful and caring person.”
The news of Lesley’s untimely passing comes just days after Oldham Coliseum Theatre announced that it was forced into making the “incredibly difficult decision” to cancel all its upcoming events and theatre shows after its funding was cut.
The historic venue was dropped from Arts Council England’s National Portfolio from 1 April.
Antony‘s case is still ongoing, with a total of three women coming out to accuse him of domestic abuse — chiefly, his ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin, who was first to raise concerns surrounding his alleged behaviour — but his cooperation through the investigation has led them to revise their position.
Issuing an update on Friday morning confirming that the forward with be brought back into the fold until the situation is resolved.
A club statement reads as follows: “Since allegations were first made in June, Antony has co-operated with police inquiries in both Brazil and the UK, and he continues to do so.
“As Antony’s employer, Manchester United has decided that he will resume training at Carrington, and be available for selection, while police inquiries proceed. This will be kept under review pending further developments in the case.
“As a club, we condemn acts of violence and abuse. We recognise the importance of safeguarding all those involved in this situation, and acknowledge the impact these allegations have on survivors of abuse.”
Erik ten Hag‘s side plays their second game against Crystal Palace in less than a week after beating them 3-0 in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday and while it is not thought Antony will be brought straight back into the team, he will be available for selection moving forward.
United currently sit ninth in the Premier League with three wins and three losses to their name.
Man jailed after ‘disturbing and terrifying’ burglary at young woman’s Altrincham home
A man has been handed jail time after a “disturbing and terrifying” burglary took place at a young woman’s home in Altrincham.
The court heard this week how Jason Edwards, from Sale in Trafford, turned up to an address in the Lloyd Gardens area of Altrincham where two women in their 20s were staying for the weekend visiting their friend at around 2am on Sunday 12 August 2022.
After knocking on the front door while brandishing a large meat cleaver, the two women opened the door and Edwards proceeded to push past them to force his way into the property.
The 36-year-old then began to search every room, while still carrying the horrific weapon and shouting at the women.
He then left the property shortly after, and the two victims immediately called the police.
The victims’ friend – who lived at the address, and was also a woman in her 20s – was still on a night out when she was alerted to Edwards being at her front door by a doorbell camera notification on her phone.
After pleading guilty to aggravated burglary and possession of a bladed article earlier this week (Tuesday 26 September), Edwards was handed a seven and a half year custodial sentence, as well as a further five years on licence.
Detective Sergeant Jacob Corrigan, of GMPs Trafford CID, described the burglary as a “disturbing and terrifying incident” for the victims.
“The victims had returned home from enjoying a day out with friends, before being put through this ordeal, which understandably made them genuinely fear for their lives,” DS Corrigan said Edwards was sentenced this week.
“I am pleased that Edwards has faced justice for his actions today and will be spending some time in prison, where he will be able to reflect upon his poor choices.”
DS Corrigan also reiterated that GMP “will not tolerate this type of violent crime”.