Tyson Fury has reiterated his retirement plans and has revealed he is “done” with heavyweight boxing following his latest win.
The 33-year-old Wythenshawe-born boxer and self-proclaimed ‘gypsy king’ has been hinting at hanging up his gloves for quite some time now, and even spoke at length last month about his post-career plans during an interview in the run-up to his WBC heavyweight showdown against fellow Dillian Whyte – which took place Wembley Stadium last Saturday 23 April.
In the interview with BT Sport last month, Fury explained that his reason for wanting to retire comes down to the fact he has more money than he’ll ever need.
Before the end of his illustrious career, Fury spoke about what he wanted to achieve: “I want to retire on top, unbeaten heavyweight champion of the world, and I want to do a Netflix documentary, a Hollywood movie, and be a good husband, father and son.
“Most of all I just want to be happy, and that’s probably the hardest thing.”
And now, after clinching the win and retaining his World Heavyweight Champion title during a sixth-round stoppage triumph in front of a record crowd of 94,000 people, Fury has reiterated that he is “done” with boxing.
Confirming that he is ready to call a day on his career during an appearance as a guest on Piers Morgan Uncensored on Talk TV yesterday evening, Fury once again said: “This is the truth, the gospel truth, nothing but the truth – I’m done.
“Every good dog has its day and like the great Roman leader said, there will always be somebody else to fight.
Read more: Tyson Fury sets out his retirement plans and reveals what he ‘puts success down to’
“When is enough enough? I’m happy, I’m healthy, I’ve still got my brains and I can still talk. I’ve got a beautiful wife, six kids, I’ve got umpteen belts, plenty of money, success, fame, glory – what more am I doing it for? Boxing is a very dangerous sport. You can be taken out with one punch as we’ve seen on Saturday and it’s one unlucky blow and you may not get up off that canvas.”
He called his decision to retire now “quitting while I’m ahead”.
“I’m undefeated and only the second man in history to retire as undefeated heavyweight champion,” he continued.
“I’m very, very happy, very content in my heart with what I’ve done and what I’ve achieved.”
Fury said he has always wanted “to go out on a high”, explaining that: “I wanted to walk away on top of the sport and do it on my terms and didn’t want to be the person who said I should have been retired two years ago or whatever.
“They will not forget ‘The Gypsy King’ in a hurry – and no amount of material assets or money will make me come back out of retirement because I’m very happy.”
Police appeal for information regarding ‘serious assault’ around Old Trafford before United game in October
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) are appealing for fresh information on a “serious assault” committed around the Old Trafford area earlier this year.
GMP issued a press release on Friday, 9 December, asking for members of the public to come forward and share any details they might have on the attack carried along Seymour Grove in Trafford around 1:30pm on 16 October 2022.
They go on to explain that “a man in his 20s was assaulted by a group of unknown males” on the way to the game at Old Trafford, adding that “it is believed that the suspects were also attending the Manchester United vs Newcastle United match.”
It remains unclear whether or not the assailants were travelling fans in town to support the away side but GMP are looking to speak to the men pictured as they may be able to help with enquiries.
As detailed in the statement, “the victim suffered a severely broken jaw, a broken nose, numerous cuts to the face, and damage to the nerves of four teeth which he is likely to need further medical treatment for.” Terrible stuff.
The authorities are continuing to investigate the Seymour Grove assault after having followed up on a number of lines of enquiry since the incident took place and are now asking for the public’s help.
Anyone with information, or anyone who may have footage/images, or can identify the men in the photos, can contact Greater Manchester Police on 101, quoting log number 1589 on 16/10/22; or, alternatively use the Live Chat service HERE.
Alternatively, information can be shared anonymously via the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Featured Image — Greater Manchester Police/David Dixon (via Geograph)
Football fans call out ‘tone-deaf’ FA TikTok for mocking ‘life-threatening’ head injury
Football fans are calling out the official FA Cup TikTok account for mocking a serious head injury suffered by a Stockport County player earlier this week.
The Hatters beat Charlton Athletic in fine fashion with a 3-1 victory on Wednesday, 7 December, with Will Collar’s hattrick (the club’s first since 2019) sending them through to the next round of the cup.
However, another notable moment from the night was right back Macauley Southam-Hales’ collision with advertising hoarders after a shove from Charlton captain George Dobson.
As the likes of County fan Joel Ward wrote on Twitter, many online were quick to slam the clip for joking about an injury that hospitalised the player, the consensus being that it isn’t a “great look” for the FA.
While many reacting in the comments recognised that Dobson didn’t intend to hurt Southam-Hales by shepherding the ball out of play, the Stockport defender does hit the predominantly metal structure with some force and was left in clear discomfort following the smash.
The video itself has since been removed from the official account following the backlash but people are still reacting as the clip continues to be reshared on social media.
The clip was branded as everything from “disgusting” and “disgraceful” to “simply unbelievable”.
What’s most concerning is that despite the recent push to promote awareness surrounding concussions, brain trauma and even heading the ball – which, historically, haven’t been properly monitored in football – whoever posted the video on behalf of the FA didn’t consider the very serious nature of the incident.
As alluded to above, perhaps what makes the post even more shocking and tone-deaf is that it comes just weeks after Bath City player forward Alex Fletcher was placed in intensive care following an almost identical accident.
The 23-year-old underwent life-saving brain surgery and although he has since been discharged from the hospital, he is said to have a “long road to recovery ahead of him”.
County confirmed that despite being the all-clear pitchside, Southam-Hales was taken to the hospital as a precaution after he suffered significant swelling around the neck area. Nevertheless, as we know all too well, it could have been much worse.
As for the FA, they have now apologised for the inappropriate attempt at humour, confirming that they have removed the video from all official accounts, admitting that “it should never have been published and assuring that they will “review [their] processes to ensure this never happens again.”
You can watch the full highlights from Stockport County vs Charlton Athletic HERE but we’d recommend you watch Alan Shearer reminding everyone who plays football to be more vigilant when it comes to head injuries.